Speaking of dogs down . . . RIP Lucy Dog

Ltdskilz

We lost our rescue stray Lucy last week. Even after 12 years, the lab/shepherd/something-else mix never really got over her original mistreatment from someone. But she turned into a very loyal, and occasionally protective, family dog. She had a good life, but she never really wanted to chase the deer like other dogs. We had been expecting to lose our 16 yr old Aussie for sometime now (she's still hanging in there), so we weren't really ready for it. But a tumor had spread and cancer was finally taking too much of a toll, so we had to say goodbye. She was a kind soul who never would hurt anyone. RIP Lucy Dog.

• Sad 17

Just now, Ltdskilz said:

We lost our rescue stray Lucy last week. Even after 12 years, the lab/shepherd/something-else mix never really got over her original mistreatment from someone. But she turned into a very loyal, and occasionally protective, family dog. She had a good life, but she never really wanted to chase the deer like other dogs. We had been expecting to lose our 16 yr old Aussie for sometime now (she's still hanging in there), so we weren't really ready for it. But a tumor had spread and cancer was finally taking too much of a toll, so we had to say goodbye. She was a kind soul who never would hurt anyone. RIP Lucy Dog.

:(

We had a "Lucy" who was great.  I have a soft spot in my heart for any Lucy.

No picture of her in her glory days?

I am very sorry for your loss.

We had a rescue who was abused... she'd run to a corner and whimper if you removed a belt in her presents.  She never got over belts but she did get over the abuse.  Lucy's loyalty to your family means she your loving and caring made a big difference by making her life better and you should be proud.

P.S. That is a great photo of her.

• Heart 1

Sorry.

We keep waiting for my 16 year old Border Collie to go, been more than one occasion that I've gone to bed thinking tonight is it and I will be taking him to the vet tomorrow for the last time only to wake up and he's back to his old, stupid self (not that that's exactly energetic or highly mobile anymore).  Losing dogs suck.

2 hours ago, Ltdskilz said:

So sorry to hear this.  Glad she had you to show her humans are not all bad and to give her such a great home for all those years and to be with her until the end.  All dogs want to do is love and be loved and you both held up your ends of the bargain.

My oldest son's dog, Remi, came from what must have been a bad beginning, but he has turned into a wonderful loving boy who will now climb up on the couch with you to be loved on and who will play with you and run after you.  He still cowers down when he sees a belt, which really pisses me off, not at him, but at whoever did something to him with a belt that  would make him scared of them years later.

Thanks for the kind words. When we first took her in, she wouldn't let anyone get close enough to touch her for about two months or so. But she never bit anyone or tried to hurt anyone and eventually turned into a real sweet dog, even though she was never really physically sound. We live on a cul-de-sac so we figured someone had dumped in the woods nearby, and somehow she made it to our front door. The rest is history.

• Heart 3

5 minutes ago, Ltdskilz said:

Thanks for the kind words. When we first took her in, she wouldn't let anyone get close enough to touch her for about two months or so. But she never bit anyone or tried to hurt anyone and eventually turned into a real sweet dog, even though she was never really physically sound. We live on a cul-de-sac so we figured someone had dumped in the woods nearby, and somehow she made it to our front door. The rest is history.

Growing up in the country, I had some really great dogs growing up that we got that same way.

The best Aussie I ever had and by far the best herder ever, found her sitting under the mailbox when I was in kindergarten and I went to get the mail.  I still remember, I came back to the house, my parents asked if there was any mail, I said "No, but I got a dog."  She was my first dog and if I was out in the field on a tractor, she was with me.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1