It Sucks Getting Up Early

Razors Edge

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...to work on East Coast time from the West Coast, but it is hard to beat being done for the day at 2pm with another 4 hours of daylight!

Isn’t it getting dark after 7 right now? I believe you may have shorted yourself an hour of daylight!

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, BR46 said:

My normal shift was 6:30 to 2:30 and when when we worked overtime it was 4:30 to 2:30. 

Now I go to bed when ever and get up when ever.

When I did shift work I liked the 6 A to 2 P shift. Of course with equipment & weapons check out/in & briefings it was more like 5 A to 3 P but still having most of the afternoon off was nice.

• Heart 1

53 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

How do I get a gig like that.

Wait???  Wut?????

What part? 6:30 till 2:30 or go to bed when you want and get up when you want. Today I got up around 8am

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

When I did shift work I liked the 6 A to 2 P shift. Of course with equipment & weapons check out/in & briefings it was more like 5 A to 3 P but still having most of the afternoon off was nice.

When my dad worked shift work, we liked 3 to 11pm. That gave him time to get adequate sleep and we had the mornings for fishing in the bay.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

14 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Do you still have the same job you had in Va.

Same job. We've been work from home since Mar 2020, so as long as I am working normal "east coast" hours, I'm able to work from almost anywhere in the US.  Company says I can't work outside the US without regular permission, but inside the US is fine.

• Awesome 2

18 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...to work on East Coast time from the West Coast, but it is hard to beat being done for the day at 2pm with another 4 hours of daylight!

I think it works better when you're west of the time zone you have to deal with than the other way around.  I've had fantasy football drafts that began 7 pm Pacific Daylight Time and 10 pm my EDT where I did less than an optimum job because I was tired from the start.

When traveling I've had jet lag when traveling West (Europe/Middle East to USA, USA to Japan/China), but never when traveling East (USA to Europe/Africa/Middle East, China to USA), probably because I could "sleep in" to get to my internal clock's wake-up time.  Fortunately, on my trip to China (12 hour time difference!), we arrived at Shanghai in the evening and got to sleep almost right away for about 9 hours, waking up refreshed enough to enjoy the two weeks touring the country.

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

on my trip to China

On the second night I was in Japan, my father-in-law called at 3 or 4 am to ask what the time difference was. I got texted at 4 am on multiple stays in Hawaii, before I got a work phone I could simply turn off. East coasters are the worst regarding their awareness of time differences.

• Haha 1