I wanted a lot of natural light

Dirtyhip

17 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Well, I got that.  I think I need sunglasses inside.  

It will be interesting to see how that changes through the seasons.  We have very large southern facing windows.  They provide a nice view and tons of natural light, but damned if they didn't chew threw some furniture with all that sun bleaching.  If we replace the windows soon, we'll be all in on some sort of tint/UV reduction options. But having natural light is HUGE.

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It will be interesting to see how that changes through the seasons.  We have very large southern facing windows.  They provide a nice view and tons of natural light, but damned if they didn't chew threw some furniture with all that sun bleaching.  If we replace the windows soon, we'll be all in on some sort of tint/UV reduction options. But having natural light is HUGE.

I don't know how large or tall your windows are but my afternoon sun facing windows are shielded by half umbrellas in stands.  Think of them as a poor man's awning.  I bring them in for the winter so they don't try to hold up snow and I can roll them down in wind.

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I don't know how large or tall your windows are but my afternoon sun facing windows are shielded by half umbrellas in stands.  Think of them as a poor man's awning.  I bring them in for the winter so they don't try to hold up snow and I can roll them down in wind.

That would work - for our north facing rear windows :( but not for the front of the house ones.  Not the stuff we thought much about when buying this home, but it is definitely on our radar for any future home.

42 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

That would work - for our north facing rear windows :( but not for the front of the house ones. 

Then I suggest cardboard.  I think you can get some boxes from Walmart in their receiving department out back.  You can pick up some duct tape in hardware on your way through.

You're welcome.

We are getting some curtains when it is too much.  I don't think I will have seasonal depression from being inside this winter.  HAHA.  It is so bright.  I now remember our designer saying, "Lots of light.  You may need sunglasses in the house."  He was not joking.  

I love it!

• Heart 3

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We are getting some curtains when it is too much.  I don't think I will have seasonal depression from being inside this winter.  HAHA.  It is so bright.  I now remember our designer saying, "Lots of light.  You may need sunglasses in the house."  He was not joking.  

I love it!

Heavy curtains also help reduce the heat load during the warmer months.

21 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Heavy curtains also help reduce the heat load during the warmer months.

I will draw the curtains when I leave for the day too.  Less sun on the furniture, etc.  I will leave the dormer light open and the front door.  

The one bummer about our place is our main downstairs windows face south so we get little natural light in our downstairs.  In the summer we need to turn lights in around 2 PM it’s so dark.  Our bedroom has a West facing slider that brings in light tho. 

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

You are quite funny.  

In VAncouver, the den was very sunny that we needed to draw the blinds. And yes, it was a very attractive view overlooking a saltwater creek where people went kayaking/paddleboarding downtown, with mountains way off in the distance...all viewable from downtown. But just too powerful sun rays at certain times of the day, when using our computers...hard on eyes.

(I get that you want all the sunniness and gorgeous views outdoors. We had it too...in urban area.)

then certain times of year, one couldn't sleep in.  The sun would be shining directly into the bed and it would get hot..in the morning.

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

You are quite funny.  

We have sun-blocking shades in our southern facing windows. We tried lined curtains, but the sun broke them down after a year. The shades were less expensive than replacing the curtains, and they’ve lasted going on more than ten years.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Well, I got that.  I think I need sunglasses inside.  

Sunglasses or not, I'm still jealous!  I get lots of light in my living room by opening the main door and letting the light shine through the all-glass storm door.

My big general thing was big, very-quiet, ceiling fans with lights in every downstairs room.  They're Hunter fans recommended by my sister.  At first I thought the slowest speed was too fast. Then I finally realized you don't cycle through 3 speeds by continually hitting the fan button on the remote like with my old fans, it has variable speeds and variable light controlled by up and down remote buttons.

When all else fails, read - or watch - the manual!

image.png.81705c2f85370717aa1b9cf32e715395.png

13 hours ago, shootingstar said:

In VAncouver, the den was very sunny that we needed to draw the blinds. And yes, it was a very attractive view overlooking a saltwater creek where people went kayaking/paddleboarding downtown, with mountains way off in the distance...all viewable from downtown. But just too powerful sun rays at certain times of the day, when using our computers...hard on eyes.

(I get that you want all the sunniness and gorgeous views outdoors. We had it too...in urban area.)

then certain times of year, one couldn't sleep in.  The sun would be shining directly into the bed and it would get hot..in the morning.

My comment about your funny is you thinking that I would buy automated blinds.  That sounds very expensive

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

We have sun-blocking shades in our southern facing windows. We tried lined curtains, but the sun broke them down after a year. The shades were less expensive than replacing the curtains, and they’ve lasted going on more than ten years.

We had thermal curtains on the large living room window.  Great in the winter but in the summer sun the curtains became a heating element as the sun warmed them and they radiated into the room.  Now with the external shade in the summer and the thermal drapes in the winter energy management seems more ballanced.  Additionally we don't have to live in a darkened living room in the summer time as the shades are drawn to prevent any sun heating.  

• Heart 1