Barbie tickets for tomorrow matinee

Dirtyhip

9 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

It's a comedy.  That is how I will probaby take it.  Some people have zero sense of humor.

I wonder how a 7 or 8 yr. old would interpret the movie. Or just take it at face value for its silliness, which to an adult might be a parody or statement on something.

Well, I doubt 16 yr. old niece has much time for fogey aunt. Heck, it's going to be something to even arrange a bike ride with her. (But she did ask last time.) We'll see.

• Hugs 1

4 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I wonder how a 7 or 8 yr. old would interpret the movie. Or just take it at face value for its silliness, which to an adult might be a parody or statement on something.

Well, I doubt 16 yr. old niece has much time for fogey aunt. Heck, it's going to be something to even arrange a bike ride with her. (But she did ask last time.) We'll see.

It's PG-13.  I would think they are too young for it. Although, my family took me to R movies when I was 8, so who knows.  I came out just fine.  Jaws scared me at 8.  

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I liked it!  It gave me a nice quiet evening with the dogs while my wife and daughters went to see it.  
They enjoyed the movie.  

There is a ton of backash to the movie.  Some don't like it becuase of some trans messaging or whatever.  That is the scuttle around here.  That makes me want to support this film with my dollars.  Even though it was someone elses dollars.  

Some have sad that it was a slander to male masulinity.  In that regard, Ken was always an accessory.  Not many cared about him.  It was Barbie we wanted to play with.  Ryans part is patterned after summer Ken, which was super cheesy and colorful in the 80's.  I remember him being very colorful.  I always disliked his painted on hair.  

I wonder if GI Joe makes an appearance.  I liked that doll too, but he sucked with Barie, because he was puny in comparison.  Ken seemed a better fit.  I think Joe would have been more like a tiny cousin of Barbie.  The Cher doll was gigantic compared to both. I hated her hair.  It would frizz out compared to Barbie;s silky flat hair. :D   I have so many memories of playing with these kind of dolls.  It was fantasy play and esapism for many young kids.  It was like we could have cars, dream houses, fantastic wardrobes and tons of friends.  

• Heart 2

For the record, pink doesn't turn anyone gay or make you soft.  I didn't like it for many years as a color in my wardrobe.  I started embracing the color again about ten years ago.  It's a beautiful color in the color wheel.  Gerwig wanted the pink to be over the top.  Of course.  It was the main color for Barbie's stuff. 

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

There is a ton of backash to the movie.  Some don't like it becuase of some trans messaging or whatever.  That is the scuttle around here.  That makes me want to support this film with my dollars.  Even though it was someone elses dollars.  

Some have sad that it was a slander to male masulinity.  In that regard, Ken was always an accessory.  Not many cared about him.  It was Barbie we wanted to play with.  Ryans part is patterned after summer Ken, which was super cheesy and colorful in the 80's.  I remember him being very colorful.  I always disliked his painted on hair.  

I wonder if GI Joe makes an appearance.  I liked that doll too, but he sucked with Barie, because he was puny in comparison.  Ken seemed a better fit.  I think Joe would have been more like a tiny cousin of Barbie.  The Cher doll was gigantic compared to both. I hated her hair.  It would frizz out compared to Barbie;s silky flat hair. :D   I have so many memories of playing with these kind of dolls.  It was fantasy play and esapism for many young kids.  It was like we could have cars, dream houses, fantastic wardrobes and tons of friends.  

My wife went for the entertainment value and similar memories to yours and she wasn’t disappointed.  Same with my youngest daughter.  The eldest, being in social sciences was more aware of the messaging.  She sees both sides but still enjoyed the movie.  It just is not me at all.  

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

My wife went for the entertainment value and similar memories to yours and she wasn’t disappointed.  Same with my youngest daughter.  The eldest, being in social sciences was more aware of the messaging.  She sees both sides but still enjoyed the movie.  It just is not me at all.  

I do think gals would identify more, because many of us played with her.  Nostaligia feels good.  Probably because it reminds of of being young.

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Well, did you enjoy it?  That's the important thing.

We just got back.  I do not want to give anything away, and I want to say so much about it.  A little more below.  

Spoiler

Most important, I loved it.  I can see why some have a problem with it.  We are talking loudly and some don't like that. My husband laughed a bunch and was smiling when I looked over.  As we walked out, he said it was good.  I asked him if he felt it was an attack on men.  He said that it was an ironic comedy about Barbie land and Barbie, not Ken.  

He liked the scenes of the weird barbie because she was played with too hard, and it showed little girls being pretty brutal to their Barbies.  We were the only ones in the theatre, and he asked me "Is that you?"  :D  He also asked a couple of times "Did you have that?"  Cause I had a ton of Barbie stuff.   He asked if I had the house.  I told him I had the shopping plaza, and he laughed that I had shopping plaza for Barbie. 

I am not ashamed that I had barbies and loved them.  I am not ashamed of my pink clothes.  I can do and try anything I want.  I am inspired.  :D  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

12 minutes ago, Kirby said:

We never had Barbie.  We had Tammy dolls which I guess were Barbie's poor cousin.

I would have let you play with all of mine.  I would have even let you play with my Cher doll.  Although, I didn't have this mackie version.  I had the one in the dress.  She was very tall.  Way taller than Barbie.

cher.jpg

• Awesome 1