What’s wrong with my dog???

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Kirby,

My pup is a "perfect" angel.  Kind, obedient, and generally a joy to be around.  Like ChrisL's pup, she older - probably 14 - so we know her habits - good and bad.

Anyway, I'm sitting on the couch having my lunch - a pb&j sandwich - and she knows I'll give her some pb or maybe crust from it.  She generally hops up on the couch and gives me the stare until I give her some.  Sometimes, a bit of drool enters the equation, and maybe a slight whine if I keep her waiting for too long.  TODAY, though, my wife started chatting with me about something or other, so I stopped eating my sandwich (still in my hand though), and turned toward my wife to say some stuff. BOOM!!! My pup decided to take a bite of the sandwich!!!!  WTF????  She was unable to actually snatch it from my hand or get a bite off of it, but she definitely TRIED!

First time ever.  I think she might be planning a take over tonight while we sleep. :frantics:

• Haha 3

We had the same incident a few weeks ago.  She grabbed a roll off my SiL's plate.

Since the dog retired from her job herding the bunnies, she has gotten obstinate.  And I think the aging thing has her less concerned about being cooperative.

Oh, and BTW, finally caught on camera the critter that's eating my vegetable garden.  A BUNNY!  Full grown!  NO idea how it's getting past the fence.  That never happened when the dog was on the job!

Last night we hung out at my daughters for a bit. They had gotten In & Out for dinner and the fries make Smokey sick so we don’t give him any.  Well after a while we got up to leave, Smokey ran to the table where there was still some food and waited while WoChrisL and I went to the front door.  We then hear a really shrill whine/bark and Smokey is looking at me like hey you haven’t given me any treats!?!?!

He was right, I hadn’t as he can’t eat the fries but I noticed CJ hadn’t finished his burger so I broke off a chunk & gave it to him.  He then ran to the couch by the door for kisses before we left.

Love that silly boy! 

• Awesome 2

1 hour ago, 12string said:

Since the dog retired from her job herding the bunnies, she has gotten obstinate.  And I think the aging thing has her less concerned about being cooperative.

Yep - she's firmly in the get off my lawn demographic now. She's got lots of entitlement issues :dontknow: but she is adorable.

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

My pup is a "perfect" angel.  Kind, obedient, and generally a joy to be around.  Like ChrisL's pup, she older - probably 14 - so we know her habits - good and bad.

Anyway, I'm sitting on the couch having my lunch - a pb&j sandwich - and she knows I'll give her some pb or maybe crust from it.  She generally hops up on the couch and gives me the stare until I give her some.  Sometimes, a bit of drool enters the equation, and maybe a slight whine if I keep her waiting for too long.  TODAY, though, my wife started chatting with me about something or other, so I stopped eating my sandwich (still in my hand though), and turned toward my wife to say some stuff. BOOM!!! My pup decided to take a bite of the sandwich!!!!  WTF????  She was unable to actually snatch it from my hand or get a bite off of it, but she definitely TRIED!

First time ever.  I think she might be planning a take over tonight while we sleep. :frantics:

She has been talking to Airedales.  

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Airehead said:

She has been talking to Airedales.  

It wouldn't surprise me if there's some "Dog Code" that they're following.  Lure us in with cuteness, then WHAM! Sucker punch to the kidneys (or swiped food out of my hand).

Sneaky!  A barely tamed wolf living in my home!!!

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

It wouldn't surprise me if there's some "Dog Code" that they're following.  Lure us in with cuteness, then WHAM! Sucker punch to the kidneys (or swiped food out of my hand).

Sneaky!  A barely tamed wolf living in my home!!!

True statements 

My pitty will get as close to the food as she can and sniff it as it goes by, my GP will just droll all over the floor watching me eat, and my Lab mix will bite the air thinking she is also eating... or she is back talking trying to get you to feed her. 

• Haha 1

We had a lab that we trained to not eat any food on the floor without permission, even his own bowl.  We could safely put dinner plates on the floor if we wanted.

One night, our dinner was interrupted by a visitor.  We came back to the table to find him eating our dinner.  We apparently didn't include "on the table" in the training.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, 12string said:

We had a lab that we trained to not eat any food on the floor without permission, even his own bowl.  We could safely put dinner plates on the floor if we wanted.

One night, our dinner was interrupted by a visitor.  We came back to the table to find him eating our dinner.  We apparently didn't include "on the table" in the training.

Her bowl stays topped up. She grazes at it throughout the day (and night), but she KNOWS the good stuff comes fro us - usually as treats/rewards  but also as some PB or crust or, her favorite, sardines.  We do a lot of sit/stay/wait when we add something like sardines to her bowl, and she sits like an angel before pouncing when released, but I do think her old age is starting to make her a little less receptive to being bossed around :D

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, 12string said:

We had a lab mix, Max, who knew that when we put food on the floor, it was his. One day we were having a family pizza party and people were leaving. My son-in-law's Dachshund/beagle mix, Pebbles, was up on the dinner table eating the icing off cupcakes! My SIL put a pizza box of leftovers on the floor and tried to stop Pebbles from eating any more cupcakes. Pebbles was willing to fight to the death for the food, so it took a while. While that was going on, I noticed that Max (remember Max?) was prancing around with a slice of pizza in his mouth. After all, the pizza was on the floor! And that was his third slice! He spent the night outside just in case he got sick.

• Haha 3

On 11/30/2023 at 2:19 PM, Razors Edge said:

100% your fault. You should know by now you don't make a woman wait. Especially when a PBJ is involved. 

I'd have done the same thing.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, smudge said:

100% your fault. You should know by now you don't make a woman wait. Especially when a PBJ is involved. 

I'd have done the same thing.

Tonight was pizza night, and I kept an eye on her the whole time!  It was one of those situations where she started out about a foot from my side, but somehow - using some sort of Jedi mind trick or time travel - she ended up snuggled up to my side despite no discernible movement :o

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2023 at 1:19 PM, Razors Edge said:

I stopped eating my sandwich (still in my hand though), and turned toward my wife to say some stuff. BOOM!!! My pup decided to take a bite of the sandwich!!!!

So.. you learned to never turn you back on a predator when there is food involved.