Airbus A321neo s grounded!!!!!

12string

Oh NOOOOOoo!

grounded because their "No Smoking" warning lights' on/off are controlled by software rather than flight crew, as required by a law in 1990.

In 2020, the FAA created an exemption for all listed newly built aircraft.  Airbus didn't think to ask them to add the latest version of the A320.

So now they are grounded because the no smoking light goes on automatically

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I think I would like to bring smoking back to the airlines, that is a fun habit.

would the smoking section be in the front half or the back half of da plane? I think it should be in the back half. The smokers can open the window  & the smoke will magically go out the winder

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

would the smoking section be in the front half or the back half of da plane? I think it should be in the back half. The smokers can open the window  & the smoke will magically go out the winder

In the before times, IIRC, the smoking section was in the back of the aircraft.

10 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Many aircraft just keep the light on all the time.

That seems to be the problem.  :facepalm:   To fly the plane, they need a waiver (and they didn't do that) to allow the light to always be on.   

https://viewfromthewing.com/united-airlines-just-grounded-a-fleet-of-planes-because-its-no-smoking-signs-dont-turn-off/

1 hour ago, TrentonMakes said:

Pretty sure I was on an A321 for my Georgia trip.  I didn't realize how close to Peril I was.

It depends.

The regular A321 was on the exemption list, they are allowed to automatically turn on the light

The A321 neo didn't get put on the list yet, it's a tube of death

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Rules are rules.  If only the FAA was as concerned about the Max series Boeings.

Deep inside I agree that the airline equipment rules must be very strict.  It seems however that a problem like this should have a fast track to a solution.  I guess however that it's unsafe to bless the industry with common sense instead of government oversight.  The industry has proven that it's incapable of policing itself.

I have watched jet engines moved from one test dell to another that had perhaps a 0.01% better performance curve due to tolerances just so the engine could be fast tracked out the door.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Deep inside I agree that the airline equipment rules must be very strict.  It seems however that a problem like this should have a fast track to a solution.  I guess however that it's unsafe to bless the industry with common sense instead of government oversight.  The industry has proven that it's incapable of policing itself.

I have watched jet engines moved from one test dell to another that had perhaps a 0.01% better performance curve due to tolerances just so the engine could be fast tracked out the door.

I am pretty sure this will be fast-tracked.  When we import aircraft, the Transport Canada blessing allows no variance from the type certificate.  Even a spelling error on a placard will ground the aircraft.  For the record, we don't even have a "No Smoking" sign onboard.  It was not included in the type certificate.