What are the advantages of being single?

Randomguy

3 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

Because I don't have someone saying "but today is my aunt Gertrude's 80th birthday at 3, and all my cousins will be in town from Peoria"

Oddly specific for a hypothetical example… Is there a story here? Was Aunt Gertrude still active at 80, or was this the family rallying before she slipped away? 

I’m sorry to hear about your breakup, @Randomguy. My go-to for making sense out of changes is gratitude. Reciting a litany of thanks shifts my mood and focuses my energy on what’s real. 

As a single adult I had more control over my lifestyle. 

• Heart 4

1 minute ago, MoseySusan said:

Oddly specific for a hypothetical example… Is there a story here? Was Aunt Gertrude still active at 80, or was this the family rallying before she slipped away? 

LOL This was made up. I was trying to give real sounding example. Looks like I did :D

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

LOL This was made up. I was trying to give real sounding example. Looks like I did :D

I’m going with still active, then. How are you going to miss out on the extended family rally for poor old Auntie Gertrude, who never did a thing that wasn’t for someone else, by just taking a bike ride? Some people…

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I think you quoted the wrong person. I do not own a cat nor are those my words.

If you try to quote a quote within a quote it does that.

29 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Wow. It’s Kirby, but the tag says dinner. How’d you manage that @Razors Edge

• Thank You 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I’m going with still active, then. How are you going to miss out on the extended family rally for poor old Auntie Gertrude, who never did a thing that wasn’t for someone else, by just taking a bike ride? Some people…

Someone ought to change their name to Aunt Gertrude, stat!  (I am looking at you, Brian)

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I'm never making anything up again :(

• Haha 2
  • Hugs 1

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

I can't win :( 

:console:

Aww…I was just riffing with you. Doubled down on the fictional Aunt Gertrude. But I haven’t even started on her equally fictional, soul-crusher of a niece who can’t stop nagging for five minutes about how you ride that bike of yours. :)

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 2

14 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

:console:

Aww…I was just riffing with you. Doubled down on the fictional Aunt Gertrude. But I haven’t even started on her equally fictional, soul-crusher of a niece who can’t stop nagging for five minutes about how you ride that bike of yours. :)

:D

I know ;)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Longjohn said:

No advantage that I know of. :(

Very few advantages, I agree. If you had a good marriage or relationship , any advantage to being single pales when compared to what you are now missing .

Edited by az_cyclist
Added context
  • Hugs 3

For sure, advantages of being married (with paper or common-law) can be real and different, than being single. I was very blessed /fortunate to have been with dearie long enough to know.

****However I would not be often pushing the coupledom option always over being single.  'Cause we continue to have some bad relationships that people should leave.

Best scenario....in a marriage, each of the individuals continue to grow together and also grow their individual strengths.  There are sacrifices at different points in times and finding benefits.

What people need to understand is that being single, either because of circumstances (just haven't met right people along the way) or choice, can be just as healthy psychologically in growth and also general health.  What it does require, is the single person makes the effort to reach out and develop several good friendships long-term/other ways for giving back. They don't have the immediate convenience of a partner to fill all that. 

Of course, there is the danger of nearly /almost exclusively relying on partner for companionship and to share your deepest problems, etc. for 30, 40, even 50 years.  Then person dies or lacking benefit of additional close, trusting friendships with others.

I'm all for also learning how to be/ being at peace alone and being happy about that for awhile also. 

• Hugs 1