Sometimes you just grin and nod

groupw

7 minutes ago, groupw said:

LBS owner told me of a guy who couldn’t get a tire to seat. He noticed the tire was mounted backwards and tried to warn him. He gave him some song and dance of why he was doing that. Decided he was beyond reason. Seated the tire and got him out of the store in less than a minute! :D

That dude sounds unhinged!  :lol:

20 minutes ago, groupw said:

LBS owner told me of a guy who couldn’t get a tire to seat. He noticed the tire was mounted backwards and tried to warn him. He gave him some song and dance of why he was doing that. Decided he was beyond reason. Seated the tire and got him out of the store in less than a minute! :D

Some people have to be know it alls all the time and make up stories when things go wrong.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Some people have to be know it alls all the time and make up stories when things go wrong.

It wasn't a story Mick. It is common in mt biking to run your tires in opposite directions. Which direction would you mount this tire on the rear wheel? Should it spin clockwise or counter clockwise as it is shown.

00120-409_TIRE_PURGATORY-GRID-2BR-TIRE-29X26_HERO.thumb.webp.72195a129b39f4bf3b533ae622233930.webp

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Bit confused, but I am assuming mounting the tire wrong had nothing to do with the seating problem. Yes I know some tires are directional, but I've never felt with any of them. Wish I could see dinneR's image, but again all I see is a blue square.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/purgatory-grid-2bliss-ready-t7/p/173593?color=271582-173593

• Thank You 1

47 minutes ago, dinneR said:

It wasn't a story Mick. It is common in mt biking to run your tires in opposite directions. Which direction would you mount this tire on the rear wheel? Should it spin clockwise or counter clockwise as it is shown.

00120-409_TIRE_PURGATORY-GRID-2BR-TIRE-29X26_HERO.thumb.webp.72195a129b39f4bf3b533ae622233930.webp

I ran the front tire on my first CX bike backwards at the recommendation of  the LBS (my shop)  as it had more bite that way for better traction on loose over hard which we have a lot of out here.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

Bit confused, but I am assuming mounting the tire wrong had nothing to do with the seating problem. Yes I know some tires are directional, but I've never dealt with any of them. Wish I could see dinneR's image, but again all I see is a blue square.

Which way would you mount the blue square?

19 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Bit confused, but I am assuming mounting the tire wrong had nothing to do with the seating problem. Yes I know some tires are directional, but I've never dealt with any of them. Wish I could see dinneR's image, but again all I see is a blue square.

Surly puts two direction options on their tires. One direction is for speed, the other for traction. I mounted the Specialized tire backward for better traction, not speed.

image.thumb.jpeg.0cbd57ef5fecb028bba784ea68b59f36.jpeg

20 hours ago, groupw said:

He noticed the tire was mounted backwards and tried to warn him.

I did that once on my bike.  I bitched about it (not caring too much) and someone asked if it was my front wheel - which it was - and I could just flip the quick release and wheel (rim brake). :facepalm:

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I did that once on my bike.  I bitched about it (not caring too much) and someone asked if it was my front wheel - which it was - and I could just flip the quick release and wheel (rim brake). :facepalm:

I think I have been there and done that.