Next time I get the urge to be a nice guy…

….somebody punch me.

Simple job - drill a hole in a brass fitting that’s in the end of a polycarbonate cylinder-thingie. I volunteered to take care of it. I do so, clean the part with alcohol….and this happened:

D01B5487-9783-41D2-AB8D-66FCFC8CDED3.thumb.jpeg.f4e87ef05150639ad30434508f4ade63.jpeg

Now I get to make the whole goddamn thing over. Yay me.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

Just now, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

….somebody punch me.

Simple job - drill a hole in a brass fitting that’s in the end of a polycarbonate cylinder-thingie. I volunteered to take care of it. I do so, clean the part with alcohol….and this happened:

D01B5487-9783-41D2-AB8D-66FCFC8CDED3.thumb.jpeg.f4e87ef05150639ad30434508f4ade63.jpeg

What is the use of this thing?

34 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I learned that about polycarbonate used in my RC car bodies and lacquer thinner.  Looks like safety glass after an auto accident.

Surprise.

I know acetone will raise hell with it, but didn't think twice about using denatured alcohol.

I think I'll go home and have some good-natured alcohol.

• Heart 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I know acetone will raise hell with it, but didn't think twice about using denatured alcohol.

Did you ask them why they didn't make the part with a hole already in it?

• Haha 1

Wait!  I am sti

38 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I remember trying to clean the white pick guard thingy on my guitar as a kiddo with carbon tetrachloride. :( 

How the heck did kids in the 60s get hold of that stuff anyhoo?!  Sheesh!  

1 minute ago, JerrySTL said:

Have you considered switching careers to becoming a government bureaucrat? You could be a natural.

He does seem to have a talent for "helping out" by "delaying things". On what planet is it considered "helping out" to FUBAR something like that doodad?  He needs to slow down, or he's the future CEO of Boeing!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

….somebody punch me.

What is that?

2 hours ago, Ralphie said:

Wait!  I am sti

I remember trying to clean the white pick guard thingy on my guitar as a kiddo with carbon tetrachloride. :( 

How the heck did kids in the 60s get hold of that stuff anyhoo?!  Sheesh!  

I think in the early 60's you could buy it anywhere.

10 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Something for Chemistry. :dontknow: I believe it’s some sort of small vacuum thingie.

Now you know exactly as much as I do.

I don’t think cracks in vacuum thingies is ever a good thing.  Maybe Dr Mickin can weigh in on this.

31 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Something for Chemistry. :dontknow: I believe it’s some sort of small vacuum thingie.

Now you know exactly as much as I do.

I find this interesting. If someone asked me to fix or modify something, or if I simply volunteered to do it and I didn’t know what the thing was, I’d ask. Always been that way. Maybe I’m just weird. 

OK, I am weird. But I meant in this instance… 😉 

10 hours ago, Zealot said:

I find this interesting. If someone asked me to fix or modify something, or if I simply volunteered to do it and I didn’t know what the thing was, I’d ask. Always been that way. Maybe I’m just weird. 

OK, I am weird. But I meant in this instance… 😉 

The problem with this stuff is when I ask, I get an answer, which I still don’t understand. Science at this level is way beyond me. (And the people who DO it are not necess-celery good at explaining it.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ralphie said:

Wow. I thought Simple Green was just a soap. 

There are some rubber/plastic/vinyls it is not compatible with ie; 1200 GoldWing seats. The surface of the seat got...gummy...

Took forever to suss out what the issue was. Another guy had the same issue and we went back and forth about what we'd used on the seat (ArmorAll etc.) and the only thing we had in common was Simple Green.

"Test in a small, inconspicuous area"

12 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

This is something that requires YEARS of training.

Do you really think an intern could post the drivel I do, while I make a new part?

Sort of thinking, "Yeah. Let's give it a try." But wait a little bit and we can skip to SnarkyChatGPT instead?