....wow.....

Johnny Come Lately Name

I had to pull 4 boats on separate trailers for work once.. But least I was smart enough not to be on the road with them. We were pulling then through a farm field. I would never attempt that on a road for sure. 

When I worked for the boat dealership, we had specially built Chevy dualies for hauling boats.  We would tow one behind the other from Texas to Tracker boats in Lebannon Missouri.  We would then unhook the trucks, reinstall the drive shaft on the one that was towed, and then load one boat and trailer on a rack on top of the dualie, hook up to a boat and trailer, bolt an custom made hitch to the first trailer and hook up to the second boat and trailer.  Two men could haul 6 boats.  It was a bitch to try and back those rigs up though.

Only made that run once.

When I worked for the boat dealership, we had specially built Chevy dualies for hauling boats.  We would tow one behind the other from Texas to Tracker boats in Lebannon Missouri.  We would then unhook the trucks, reinstall the drive shaft on the one that was towed, and then load one boat and trailer on a rack on top of the dualie, hook up to a boat and trailer, bolt an custom made hitch to the first trailer and hook up to the second boat and trailer.  Two men could haul 6 boats.  It was a bitch to try and back those rigs up though.

Only made that run once.

I have seen setups like this rolling down the road. 

It was on a trailer, with a bumper attached to the trailer.

I was sitting at a stoplight, and a totally rotted-out F-150 came down the offramp and made a left, across in front of me. The sides of the box were flapping, and everything. It had a chain off the back that was hooked to the front of a tow truck that was even shittier.....On the hook of the tow truck was a Taurus that was even worse. It was like a progressively shittier parade. SO and I looked at each other in amazement....and then I pointed out that that had just come off the interstate.

• Heart 2

I was sitting at a stoplight, and a totally rotted-out F-150 came down the offramp and made a left, across in front of me. The sides of the box were flapping, and everything. It had a chain off the back that was hooked to the front of a tow truck that was even shittier.....On the hook of the tow truck was a Taurus that was even worse. It was like a progressively shittier parade. SO and I looked at each other in amazement....and then I pointed out that that had just come off the interstate.

Crazy the shit that people do.  If I were to try that it would end in certain death.

Buddy of mine was gassing up at a truck stop when a big ass RV (buss chassis big) pulled in. The driver climbed out, stretched, looked over his rig and did a double take. Seems he lost his boat some where in the last 150 miles, 

That's even worse than my buddy's fishing buddy who dragged his lower unit down the interstate for about 90 miles.... Ground right through to the prop shaft. He said the guy turned it in to his insurance and they paid it....and then told him to find another insurance company.

Crazy the shit that people do.  If I were to try that it would end in certain death.

I came up on a six passenger minivan on the Thruway once.... All the seats were full of people, the back was full of ....stuff... and there was more stuff strapped onto the roof rack. They were pulling a popup camper that had still more shit lashed down on the top. The ass end of the minivan and the tongue of the trailer were pointing downward like a big V and the tongue of the trailer was about three inches off the road. 

I matted it and got by them. SO says "What are you doing?" and I said "I want to be in front of that vacation tragedy in the making..."

Buddy of mine was gassing up at a truck stop when a big ass RV (buss chassis big) pulled in. The driver climbed out, stretched, looked over his rig and did a double take. Seems he lost his boat some where in the last 150 miles, 

It sounds like the worst part about that story is that you likely have no way of ever finding out what happened.

Looks like a mid-80's Mercury Marquis to me.  I had one, though mine was nicer looking than this.

4622_17.jpg

I had the Ford LTD version of that car back in the 80s. One day, it caught fire while I was driving it. After I stopped , a well meaning soul came running with a fire extinguisher. I said, unless you have gasoline in that thing, stay the hell away from my car with it.

It burned to a crisp and I bought a much nicer car with the insurance money.

Edited by Rattlecan

I had the Ford LTD version of that car back in the 80s. One day, it caught fire while I was driving it. After I stopped , a well meaning soul came running with a fire extinguisher. I said, unless you have gasoline in that thing, stay the hell away from my car with it.

I also had the `84 Ford LTD LX.  2,600 of the LX were made from `84-85, with the 5.0L EFI HO V8 Windsor.  Basically a four-door version of the Mustang GT.  It was the ultimate sleeper car, and mine (my folks, but they never drove it) was an unassuming gunmetal gray.  California Highway Patrol used them as cruisers for awhile.

Even with an automatic, there was enough torque to slam myself into the back of my bucket seat from a dead stop, and squeal the tires loud enough to be heard for blocks - even in reverse.  I beat IROCs and Firebirds in it all the time, it was fun as heck.  It didn't look fast - but man, oh man.  And it was scary as all get-out in the winter (Traction-Lok rear axle) and I could spin it around on a quarter inch of rain.

77688_bbd62b1cc6_low_res.jpg-790%C3%9752

32219930003_large.jpg

Edited by LoneWolf

I also had the `84 Ford LTD LX.  2,600 of the LX were made from `84-85, with the 5.0L EFI HO V8 Windsor.  Basically a four-door version of the Mustang GT.  It was the ultimate sleeper car, and mine (my folks, but they never drove it) was an unassuming gunmetal gray.  California Highway Patrol used them as cruisers for awhile.

Even with an automatic, there was enough torque to slam myself into the back of my bucket seat from a dead stop, and squeal the tires loud enough to be heard for blocks - even in reverse.  I beat IROCs and Firebirds in it all the time, it was fun as heck.  It didn't look fast - but man, oh man.  And it was scary as all get-out in the winter (Traction-Lok rear axle) and I could spin it around on a quarter inch of rain.

77688_bbd62b1cc6_low_res.jpg-790%C3%9752

32219930003_large.jpg

Yeah, well I had about half that motor. A 2.3 liter 4 banger. What a dog.

My `83 Marquis had the 3.8L Essex 6.  Nothing special, but it wasn't a dog like the 2.3L.  Boy was it a letdown compared to the 5.0, though.

Those were the last cars I had with more than four cylinders.

About the same time I had that LTD, my kid brother had a Mercury Capri with a turbo 2.3. That thing would haul a$$.

I was having a cheeseburger and a beer at a little bar in Pensacola one time and a Ford Explorer came barreling over a berm into the parking lot close to where I was sitting.  I just happened to notice that it had no rear bumper.  The driver was quite shaken.  Me and  a couple of buddies got up and started to walk over to them and a boat came crashing over the berm and landed right next to the Explorer.  It was on a trailer, with a bumper attached to the trailer.

Awesome! Flor-i-duh once again!

• Heart 1

My dad had a '71 LTD that split a fuel line, sprayed fuel on the hot manifold and started to Car-B-Q. He was prepared to just grab his fishing gear and let it go, but someone stopped at put it out for him. In his case it was a good thing because he had just cancelled the comprehensive coverage on it and it went into effect a day or so earlier.