Jump to content

The trouble with cold weather riding


Airehead
 Share

Recommended Posts

One ride for 2 people equals a load of laundry.  I wore a base layer, a mid layer, and an outer top layer, shorts, tights, wool socks, a buff and gloves.  Inside layers were damp and sweaty and the outside layers were muddy.  Mr. Aire wore base layers, top layers and a vest and then a hat and gloves.  I think he wore wool socks too because even in his winter boots he says his toes are cold.    The washer is now chugging away.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites



Agreed.  The amount of laundry that athletes go through can be pretty daunting.  

In regards to the layering, I am a big fan of wool base layers, these days.  I like a long sleeve thin wool layer.  Wool seems to stay warm when wet, and it feels much better than a long sleeve poly layer.  Sheep herder likes us wearing wool too.  :)

Keep up the good work, Airdale lady.  You are rad.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Inside layers were damp and sweaty

Wait!  Doesn't that mean you are doing it wrong?  I thought athletic clothes were 'sposed to wick sweat away.  Of course it is hard to tell with me because I really only sweat when it is hot and humid outside.  But it's sort of moot if the outer layers are muddy anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Ralph T. Mooseknuckle said:

Wait!  Doesn't that mean you are doing it wrong?  I thought athletic clothes were 'sposed to wick sweat away.  Of course it is hard to tell with me because I really only sweat when it is hot and humid outside.  But it's sort of moot if the outer layers are muddy anyway.

That is the idea, but the method is Not always perfect.  These clothes sometimes don't breathe as much as we need them to. It is best to not get wet, but I have yet to find that perfect gear Anand warmth match.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

That is the idea, but the method is Not always perfect.  These clothes sometimes don't breathe as much as we need them to. It is best to not get wet, but I have yet to find that perfect gear Anand warmth match.

I guess I am a little spoilt with our 30s and above lately.  I do faintly recall moisture problems when riding in twenties and teens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Along with the skin pain, I can't breathe.  The cold really hurts my throat and lungs. 

One side effect from my sinus work is a near instant swelling of the sinus passages in cold air.  I am hoping it eventually goes away but it hasn't yet.  Skin pain? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Agreed.  The amount of laundry that athletes go through can be pretty daunting.  

In regards to the layering, I am a big fan of wool base layers, these days.  I like a long sleeve thin wool layer.  Wool seems to stay warm when wet, and it feels much better than a long sleeve poly layer.  Sheep herder likes us wearing wool too.  :)

Keep up the good work, Airdale lady.  You are rad.

Smart Wool and PhD Wool are really nice and I am wearing them all the time now.  I have a couple outer layers that are nice enough to wear to work on a cold day.  Pricey but worth every penny.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

That is no fun.  I used to ride with a guy that smeared his feet and face with Vaseline for the same reason.  He said it worked for him. 

I have this big ball type lip balm.  I smear it on my face and around my nostrils. It prevents my face from burning off from wind burn.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Further said:

You do wear shoes & gloves ?

I rigged up foot covers out of plastic oil cans back when I braved the elements, they helped, then I got neoprene shoe covers, they worked better. 

I've decided to stop doing things I don't like, like running or riding in the cold.   I have nothing to prove.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I've decided to stop doing things I don't like, like running or riding in the cold.   I have nothing to prove.

I wouldn't say that I love doing stuff in the cold weather.  I do it because I have to, and it is important to get the fresh air.  Mu clothing investments have made it better, but it is still misery sometimes. Winter is a hard season.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

That is the idea, but the method is Not always perfect.  These clothes sometimes don't breathe as much as we need them to. It is best to not get wet, but I have yet to find that perfect gear Anand warmth match.

Glad to know I'm not the only one still trying to get the equation right. Ah well, at least we're getting outdoors!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Airehead said:

One ride for 2 people equals a load of laundry.  I wore a base layer, a mid layer, and an outer top layer, shorts, tights, wool socks, a buff and gloves.  Inside layers were damp and sweaty and the outside layers were muddy.  Mr. Aire wore base layers, top layers and a vest and then a hat and gloves.  I think he wore wool socks too because even in his winter boots he says his toes are cold.    The washer is now chugging away.

Heh heh. When I get home and get strip down for shower, it looks like a cyclist exploded in our bathroom! Tons of clothes. Ha! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How many times you ride per week has to do with a big bundle as well. I have 3 main pair of shorts, 2 jerseys and about 15 underlayers. :D 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I wouldn't say that I love doing stuff in the cold weather.  I do it because I have to, and it is important to get the fresh air.  Mu clothing investments have made it better, but it is still misery sometimes. Winter is a hard season.

I love the brisk feeling up to a point.  I agree, fresh air in winter is very welcome and important.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am embarrassed to admit that I haven't been riding much these last 4 months and here in Seattle, we've been going through a cold streak.  When you've laid off the bike awhile and then want to go back, the cold, cold weather is enough for me to say screw it, Spring is around the corner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Airehead said:

I've always worn my regular shoes and shoe covered.  Santa brought me these--- wow are they warm.

image.jpeg

nice. Next winter I'll buy a good pair of warm boots for cold fat biking. Currently I use a pair of Timberland Gortex hiking boots w/ neoprene socks. Not bad actually.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...