The state of the job market

goldendesign

From an employers view:

I need a full time staff member. Mostly sales and customer service but will also train on rudimentary watch repairs and engraving services. Nothing difficult. I pay better than most retail $12-13 hourly for no experience, I also include a guaranteed $1 increase after 90 days of successful employment. I give flexible schedules and an energetic work enviroment.

I have been advertising through craigslist ($50/week), Indeed (Free), University of South Florida, and the community college job board. Since last week I have received 35 applications. 90% of which are so poorly worded, have no experience in any service industry, or no information whatsoever worth discerning. I have called 9 applicants, received 4 call backs (answered phone) and scheduled them all for interviews. Today is the second day of interviews and no one has showed up. The 10 am interview this morning was actually a reschedule from yesterday. He was polite, well spoken, came across very well. When I asked him why he wants to work here, standard question, his answer was very honest "I have a daughter that I need to provide for and your company has a reputation for treating its staff well and with respect". I liked the response so much I wrote it down. He is still a no show.

Why is it so hard to find people to work? How do they expect to get the minimum wage increased when they can't even show up for a fucking interview. Hell just a call back to a job you applied to would be the start of gaining employment. 

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, 2Far said:

About another three weeks & the applicant market should pick up with freshly minted HS seniors who aren't going to college abound.

How well do the theme parks pay, that may be a big drain on the available seekers?

They start at $9.50 an hour for the theme parks. AND I don't drug test like they do!

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Clearly, I am the solution to your problem.  I normally spend 4 days per week in Florida, all during tourist season, have a car and paid hotel.  Do you hire illegals? :)  

His clientele may have an aversion to pork.  just sayin'

• Heart 1

Dunno how you would tap into it, but there are a lot of boomers who got pushed out of the job market over the last 5+ years, run out of UI bennies and have given up looking for work. They tend to have a good work ethic, don't party all night & won't be having babies. FT @ $12.50/hr is $500/week which is prolly better than the unemployment check they used to get.

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I wouldn't do drug tests the way they do either.  I'd want to test the drugs myself.

This would end up like Goldilocks testing the porridge at the Three Bears house.  All the porridge gone, the chairs and bed broken and you sleeping it off upstairs.

• Heart 3

What does your benefit plan look like?  Health, Life, Disability Insurance?  Do I get hazard pay for engraving work?  How much vacation and sick time?

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

Dunno how you would tap into it, but there are a lot of boomers who got pushed out of the job market over the last 5+ years, run out of UI bennies and have given up looking for work. They tend to have a good work ethic, don't party all night & won't be having babies. FT @ $12.50/hr is $500/week which is prolly better than the unemployment check they used to get.

I have one full timer at each the three locations we have over the age of 60. I agree they usually work out pretty well. Problem is most are ready to retire but need additional income. I have one in my location that only wants to work 4 days a week and no more than 30 hours. Shes experienced and an excellent staff member so I try and accommodate her.

As of now 3 no shows on interviews. I am calling the entire stack of recent applicants (8 as of last night) in a little but regardless of resumes and scheduling them for interviews. I shall see what I shall see. Any wagers on call backs/interviews???

Most of the resumes we receive for our call center staff are crap. Poorly typed, poorly edited, poorly structured, etc.  

Every so often you get a good one, and either the person has had help (they didn't write it) or they are a fairly well educated student merely passing through. 

I tell people all the time that if you can type a decent speed, have competent grammar, use a computer with some minimal Office software skills, and can show up for work, you're pretty much set these days versus a lot of the competition. Problem is, there isn't much these days. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Have you ever thought of hiring from an agency. If you find a worker that is worth it you can offer them a regular job.

It's not cost effective for a job that amounts to a job, not a career. Most staff I am lucky to have for a couple years. I don't have 401K, health, or vacation offerings. Also at the 13-14 range is about all they can expect to make with me. Course most retail in this level is the same. Most employees move on to their careers later on. I expect that.

Agencies usually charge 2.25-2.5 the hourly wage that they pay out to the temp. So for someone that will earn 10 will cost me $25 and hour. Not worth it.