Pedal miles - 10/1/17

Dirtyhip

OK, I coasted some too, on the Inferno.  

17.2 miles

2320 ft. of climbing

Done very slowly.  I was more cautious than I ever have been, while going downhill.  Had to do the ride Michael Jackson style (one glove).

Training began back today.  I have less than three months to get my climbing up to a 4,500 ft. day, in prep for some riding with a QOM and KOM down in the Bay Area.  I am very out of shape. Too much coasting this Summer, and a month off the bike.  LAME!

• Heart 4

No miles today, plans went to hell in a hand basket. Riding buddy bailed on me Saturday night because his son was in a Tae Kwon Do tourney Sunday morning. His apology included grilled sirloin, asparagus and beer. All is forgiven. I'll ride alone, no big deal.

Sunday morning, I get up at 8, fix breakfast and drink some coffee. Phone rings, mom fell in her room at the Assisted Living place last Tuesday. Her ribs and hand still hurt can you take me to urgent care for x-rays. OK, what time should I pick you up. I'm not dressed yet, how about 11. Fine, see you then. Long ride is out but I can get 20 or so in. Get my shorts on, pump the tires. Phone rings, its Ambrosia. She wants to meet for coffee. Ok, see you there in a bit. Change, go to the Caffe on the next block over. Talk to Michael, the owner while I'm waiting for Ambrosia and Jeff, her boyfriend. Michael is stressing over a sub shop partnership that's gone sour and not doing well. He also told me he was recently diagnosed  with prostate cancer and is having difficulty with the diagnosis. I told him that prostate cancer is beatable and he has this. He said  he's going up to Johns Hopkins next week to discuss treatment options. I told him I'll see him next week to see how he's doing.

Later I take Mom to urgent care and we're there from 11:30 until 2:30. CT scan indicates no fractures but the doc sees some nodes on her lungs. Tells Mom to have her PCP follow up on those to see if they change. We have lunch at a mexican restaurant (her choice) and I eat too much. Get home around 4:30 too tired to ride and I have sheets and towels to wash. Maybe tomorrow will be better. Weather looks good all week.

• Sad 1

40 miles on the roadie with WOChrisL.  I was feeling really good and was hammering on this long grinding climb.  I wanted to go as long as I could, blow and just soft pedal to the top. Except for the second time in a few months I actually felt like I couldn't get enough air in my lungs, got light headed & dizzy so stoped to recover then was fine.

I think maybe my new diabetes meds is messing with me as I started noticing a mild burning sensation in my lungs as soon as I started taking it. Ive never had that happen before ever.

• Heart 1

So what's the reason mileage threads are here and not HERE?

Regardless, a breezy 30 miles for moi.  I hit my turn around point, started heading home, and got passed by a dude in a Rabobank kit.  I let him get about 50' past me and then used him as a carrot for the next ten miles.  I enjoy it when someone gives me a little "excitement" on a ride.

Tom

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

So what's the reason mileage threads are here and not HERE?

Regardless, a breezy 30 miles for moi.  I hit my turn around point, started heading home, and got passed by a dude in a Rabobank kit.  I let him get about 50' past me and then used him as a carrot for the next ten miles.  I enjoy it when someone gives me a little "excitement" on a ride.

Tom

Kinda like the LF in that most people don't bother to check out the other pages, just this one... 

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I tried for a while to post my miles over there.  SO did @az_cyclist.  We both gave up, people kept posting here too.  I think he posts less here now because of that.  I like az.

Thanks SW.  I never did post much on the other topics, so , yes, I post less now because I dont post miles.  I'll post more going forward.  I like the forum and the interaction with the other SW forumites.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

13 hours ago, az_cyclist said:

Thanks SW.  I never did post much on the other topics, so , yes, I post less now because I dont post miles.  I'll post more going forward.  I like the forum and the interaction with the other SW forumites.

If you post mileage threads in the "correct" spot, I'll reply. If you post mileage threads in the "wrong" spot, I'll reply if I find them.

I'm a fan/supporter of Love/Cafe sections, but I really like it when folks use the other sections too. Seriously, bike questions are appropriate for the "Bikes & Gear" or "Maintenance" sections. "Pro-cycling" is a great place to keep a little focus on racing and scandals and anything else the pro folks have going on.  Same with the other sections SW set up.  What is nice about actually using and contributing to those sections is that because they don't have a ton of churn, they keep interesting and/or relevant topics visible for a lot longer than your average Love/Cafe type post.

Tom

• Heart 1