2/11 miles & such

bikeman564™

22 miles on the mtn bike.  It was actually the longest ride to date off road and the first time I've ever ridden the Fullerton Loop twice.  Up until recently I couldn't ride  the entire loop without a couple of rest breaks.  I did both loops without taking a break other than a quick bathroom stop.

• Heart 1

It was snowing sideways, and I was not in the mood to freeze.  I did enough freezing yesterday.  

Gym for me today.  Warm up on the elliptical.  I did chest, shoulders and abs. Then, a long stretch session and several versions of plank poses. 

Kinda pissed off about having exercises mansplained to me today.  Some joker in the gym decided to nag me and my friend about weights and lifting.  He was touting that "You girls are lifting too much weight.  High reps, and low weight is much better."  I pretty much politely said Fuck off, with nicer wording and a big fake smile.  Hopefully, he caught my bitter sarcasm.  The weights were not even too heavy.  He was working out with like little hand weights.  It was a much older gentleman.  I just found it to be bossy and demeaning.  I am not sure why people feel that they have to get involved telling others what to do.  He kept telling me not to do bench press with free weights and to go over to the machine, cause it is "much safer for you ladies."  :angry:

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It was snowing sideways, and I was not in the mood to freeze.  I did enough freezing yesterday.  

Gym for me today.  Warm up on the elliptical.  I did chest, shoulders and abs. Then, a long stretch session and several versions of plank poses. 

Kinda pissed off about having exercises mansplained to me today.  Some joker in the gym decided to nag me and my friend about weights and lifting.  He was touting that "You girls are lifting too much weight.  High reps, and low weight is much better."  I pretty much politely said Fuck off, with nicer wording and a big fake smile.  Hopefully, he caught my bitter sarcasm.  The weights were not even too heavy.  He was working out with like little hand weights.  It was a much older gentleman.  I just found it to be bossy and demeaning.  I am not sure why people feel that they have to get involved telling others what to do.  He kept telling me not to do bench press with free weights and to go over to the machine, cause it is "much safer for you ladies."  :angry:

What a jack ass.  I have to be careful with that riding though.  I sometimes point out safety issues on a bike or offer help if someone is stranded but I am very careful with doing so with women riders as I don't want to come off like that dude.

I never offer riding advice tho.  If I say something to a rider it's usually pointing out a bald tire, worn brake pads frayed cables or need some help?

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

A friend about my age went to his Dr when he joined the gym. I know his Dr. He knows what he’s talking about. Told my friend not to worry about max weight over the age of 50. Told him to use weight that he can complete 30 reps. 

Sounds like your mansplainer has taken it to the other extreme! I would have grabbed a couple pens from the front counter and asked if he thought I could handle them. I’m subtle that way!:whistle:

• Heart 1

As @Old#7 wrote, the weather broke in the mid-afternoon.  The temps were lovely at 65* or so with a steady wind.  I got in 39.5 @ 17mph.  It was VERY wet out there, but with weather this warm, I knew I had to get a ride in.  I opted to also chase down one of my favorite short climbs just off my normal route - Woodburn - and was also debating taking in its partner Thomas Mill.  I chose to just do the one, which ended up being smart because with an ETA of arriving home at 5pm, I got my first flat in a long while. A 1/4 inch jagged piece of brown glass :angry: in my rear tire.  Anyway, stopping to change that took longer than normal - due to the nastiness of everything - the tire, the wheel, the drivetrain, the ground, etc..

On the plus side, the tires are now "loose" enough for me to roll back onto the rim(!) so that's a win.  I have to look at the tire a little more under better lighting to see how much damage was done. It didn't look horrible.  Also, there was like a 10* - 15* temperature difference between my area and farther west.  It got real chilly mid ride (as shown below).  And foggy.

Temp.thumb.JPG.3cd7c780253f285941b6496714e50ed7.JPG

Tom

1 minute ago, groupw said:

A friend about my age went to his Dr when he joined the gym. I know his Dr. He knows what he’s talking about. Told my friend not to worry about max weight over the age of 50. Told him to use weight that he can complete 30 reps. 

Sounds like your mansplainer has taken it to the other extreme! I would have grabbed a couple pens from the front counter and asked if he thought I could handle them. I’m subtle that way!:whistle:

I try to do 10 reps, 2-4 times.  Usually, it is 2 sets x 10 reps due to time.  Lunch workout is tough to fit it all in.  Today I did 4 x 10. 

He was scowling after I ignored him and showed my friend an upright row with a 30# barbell, and said "This is great for staying strong lifting the front end of your bike all day."  Maybe he was just envious as he lifted his shitty 10 pound hand weights. 

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Actually, he kinda looked like @Longjohn .  Although, I don't think Longjohn would act like that.  It would be more like snarky wise ass jokes if he said anything.  Or, that is how I imagine it would be.

I'm surprised he looked like me if he's using girly weights and lots of reps. There is a guy at my gym that insists that is the "proper" way to do it and gives the best results. He told me I had too much weight on the ab bench. He said no weight and lots of reps. I work out with 70# he works out with 0 weights and lots of reps. He doesn't even do a full range of motion and he has a beer belly. He not only thinks he knows what he's talking about, he must be blind.  I had to use 5# dumbbells after my rotator cuff surgery, it was embarrassing using them in the gym. I usually used them in the PT room if possible.

• Heart 2

23 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I'm surprised he looked like me if he's using girly weights and lots of reps. There is a guy at my gym that insists that is the "proper" way to do it and gives the best results. He told me I had too much weight on the ab bench. He said no weight and lots of reps. I work out with 70# he works out with 0 weights and lots of reps. He doesn't even do a full range of motion and he has a beer belly. He not only thinks he knows what he's talking about, he must be blind.  I had to use 5# dumbbells after my rotator cuff surgery, it was embarrassing using them in the gym. I usually used them in the PT room if possible.

I meant your face.  He looked like you.

• Heart 1