How do you reduce your plastic waste?

Dirtyhip

This plastic thing is a terrible problem.  It's everywhere.  So sad to see the pics.  We are making a real mess.

We are only a family of two, but we really do try our best to produce very little waste.  When buying veggies and bulk items, we always re-use bags.  Some are veggie bags from past purchases.  Sometimes, we even re-use other types of food bags (bread bags, and other types of food bags that are clean). There is also the problems of coffee shop use, and I try to bring my own mug.  If I don't have it, I don't take straws or caps that are plastic.

These things are paltry in the realm of our problem, but I believe that things I do have impact however small they are.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

I use a coffee thermos mug for coffee at work and use a Britta water bottle so I don't have to buy bottles of water.  Ontario charges for plastic bags at grocery stores so we have reusable bags. If we do use plastic bags at the grocery store, we take them back and put them in the recycling bin.  

Thats about it.  We try to minimize use and maximize recycling. 

• Awesome 1

We do buy cases of water bottles but recycle them. My wife and daughter use those fancy aluminum water flasks.  There is more we could do and probably should. Our waste disposal company also sorts trash and recycles but that's not anything we do.

I use paper products instead of plastic as much as practical. I reuse and recycle most of the plastic containers I get.

I was the first President of the Maryland Waste Coalition, officially recognized by the old RCRA (Resource Conservation and Recovery Act) as the official citizens group for Maryland.

I've gone a little less green over the years but am still a lot greener than most.

6 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Wo46 uses reusable grocery bags. I take a Coleman water jug to work and use a Tupperware sandwich container.

CA no longer gives away shopping bags in grocery stores and you can buy a heavy duty reusable plastic bag for 10 cents or just walk out with the items in your hand if it's just a few things. It's cut down on the plastic bags floating around tremendously.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

We recycle a lot. IAM always bitchin' at the bagger boys to put more stuff in fewer bags; usually I have my own reusable or I do self checkout. I also use Powerade bottles for water bottles at home and work until the bottle is basically uncleanable. That's just a few things. I try to be quite conscientious about that sort of thing. The trash in the ocean makes me sick. ugh.