Did you pay much attention to any of the grand tours this year?

Randomguy

I looked at Cyclingnews maybe 10 times during the Giro, another 15 times or so during the tour, and 6-8 times during the Vuelta, but mostly due to a vague sense of obligation.  Not a lot personality to glom onto, and I really didn't get so stoked about any of it.  Good for the new winners and all, but where was the excitement?

Was it just me?

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I looked at Cyclingnews maybe 10 times during the Giro, another 15 times or so during the tour, and 6-8 times during the Vuelta, but mostly due to a vague sense of obligation.  Not a lot personality to glom onto, and I really didn't get so stoked about any of it.  Good for the new winners and all, but where was the excitement?

Was it just me?

Yeah you are a casual fan. 

I've followed the sport since 1980 and always will.  I check VN and Cyclingnews daily during the grand tours, follow the big events, teams, the bike industry and the riders.  I watch the TDF daily, live when I can.

I like it when there are GC shake ups.

• Awesome 1

I followed the Giro until Froome's very big day, and then lost interest.  I followed the Tour fairly closely (except when I was on vacation).  And I checked Cyclingnews for the Vuelta results each day, but only really read the articles if there was something particularly interesting about the stage.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Not really, I have followed it since the early mid 90's, back when Lance was just a threat to contest a stage because he was so bulky.

Then why aren't you following the grand tours more closely? A real fan would...

Oh and FYI in case you hadn't heard Lance is "retired". ?

I watched pretty much every stage of all three Grand Tours again this year - usually at 8pm except weekends.  Since I DVR them, I just decide how much of each to watch. Flat stages get short shrift with me usually fast-forwarding to intermediate sprint points and then the final 10-20km (the catch of the breakaway, the organization of the sprint trains, and the final sprint).  Non-flat require a bit more review, while the critical GC days I watch pretty much completely.

Tom 

As always I watched as much of the TdF as I could (though we were out of town for much of the race so I missed a lot).   The Giro slipped past me entirely.

I checked VeloNews for Vuelta results a few times during the first week and a half or so, then lost track of it.  And I just now checked for the result (ah, good for him).

It would appear that I like to watch the racing and scenery, more than I like to know who won the day's stage.  But it would also appear that I don't like it enough to pay a premium for it.

1 hour ago, TrentonMakes said:

It would appear that I like to watch the racing and scenery, more than I like to know who won the day's stage.  But it would also appear that I don't like it enough to pay a premium for it.

What was nice was that the Vuelta was on the "Olympic" channel this year, so it was "free" amongst all the other random sports channels I get.  A BIG bonus was I add an extra hour to all my cycling recordings, so I ended up with a ton of other stuff at the end of recordings.  I got the MTB world championships, lots of rhythmic gymnastics, some rock climbing, and more.  Good stuff.

Tom 

7 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I watched pretty much every stage of all three Grand Tours again this year - usually at 8pm except weekends.  Since I DVR them, I just decide how much of each to watch. Flat stages get short shrift with me usually fast-forwarding to intermediate sprint points and then the final 10-20km (the catch of the breakaway, the organization of the sprint trains, and the final sprint).  Non-flat require a bit more review, while the critical GC days I watch pretty much completely.

Tom 

Ok, I think you nailed it.  I don't have cable, so I couldn't watch.  No watch, no interest.

I was always bored on the flat stages, and sprint stages were only good during the sprint, and time trials are generally boring.  I have to admit the time trials were a lot better when the GC guys were all good at them, like when Jan and Lance would square off.  Then the time checks meant something, and seconds counted at the line.

7 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

As always I watched as much of the TdF as I could (though we were out of town for much of the race so I missed a lot).   The Giro slipped past me entirely.

I checked VeloNews for Vuelta results a few times during the first week and a half or so, then lost track of it.  And I just now checked for the result (ah, good for him).

The scenery in the tour is always amazing, and production values are great.  I like Paul and Phil, even when they bloviate or just go off on how good someone is for hours at a time.  You know who I am talking about.

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

What was nice was that the Vuelta was on the "Olympic" channel this year, so it was "free" amongst all the other random sports channels I get.  A BIG bonus was I add an extra hour to all my cycling recordings, so I ended up with a ton of other stuff at the end of recordings.  I got the MTB world championships, lots of rhythmic gymnastics, some rock climbing, and more.  Good stuff.

Tom 

I love rhythmic gymnastics, those chicks are sexy!

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm out! I could take this into the tasteless gutter, but it starts to get to creepy even for me!

Tom

Ok, stop.  Collaborate and listen.

The 18 year old you wanted to bang 18 year-olds at some point, so what changed?  Nothing, that is what.  You got older and realized that it is unseemly to be perving on the 18 year-olds where people can notice your wandering gaze just completely eye-banging the young receptionist, but your subconscious tells you to anyway.

Nature tells us that youth, to a point, is fertility and that is sexy.  Hell, it makes cougars all frothy in the loins for young dudes, it isn't just guys like us that nature bitch-slaps to attention when some young 20 year old hottie we have no shot with stumbles into our orbit.  You are made aware because nature makes you aware of such things.  Nature is a bitch.