So when you shoot something up...

Randomguy

...what end result would you be after?

Take the latest mass shooting this week, the synagogue, for instance  You are a freak who hates a certain group, so you go shoot some up pretty good, what is the actual goal?  You would think it would have to be more than just going out and killing some Jewish folks, right?

You obviously cannot take out enough before you get caught or killed to affect the population, are you thinking that Jewish people are suddenly going to stop being Jewish or something?  I don't believe that many shooters are big picture thinkers, or can ever really articulate why they don't like a group that would ever make sense.

I don't think I would be a good mass shooter, I don't really dislike any group enough to go killing, plus I think things out trying to figure out a continuation of a reasonable goal.  There really don't seem to be too many reasonable goals with these shootings, you see.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I don't think I would be a good mass shooter, I don't really dislike any group enough to go killing, plus I think things out trying to figure out a continuation of a reasonable goal.  There really don't seem to be too many reasonable goals with these shootings, you see. 

I see you more as a mass harasser? Or a mass annoyer? Or maybe just a mass wear us out with inanity???

Tom

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, No One said:

...I no longer go to mass on Sundays. But it's not because I fear getting shot. 

I don't think I can enter a church any more without fear of spontaneous combustion.:flirtyeyess: I'm just too pretty.

So you DO BELIEVE!  You should be going to church!

Tom

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

President Trump said the shooting was “far more devastating than anybody originally thought” but did not offer details. 

I’ve read 8 confirmed dead and 12 injured, but then I read the above along with reports that a police official said that the scene is worse than what he’d seen at plane crashes and I am fairly petrified about what we are going to learn.

34 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’ve read 8 confirmed dead and 12 injured, but then I read the above along with reports that a police official said that the scene is worse than what he’d seen at plane crashes and I am fairly petrified about what we are going to learn.

...he followed that with "all the hate...something needs to be done," and "Who knows what might have happened if they'd had 'protection' inside ?" thus achieving a hat trick.

6 hours ago, Randomguy said:

...what end result would you be after?

Take the latest mass shooting this week, the synagogue, for instance  You are a freak who hates a certain group, so you go shoot some up pretty good, what is the actual goal?  You would think it would have to be more than just going out and killing some Jewish folks, right?

You obviously cannot take out enough before you get caught or killed to affect the population, are you thinking that Jewish people are suddenly going to stop being Jewish or something?  I don't believe that many shooters are big picture thinkers, or can ever really articulate why they don't like a group that would ever make sense.

You make good, rational sense. I wonder how rational the mass killers are? Most of learn that we ourselves are to blame for most of our shortcomings, but there are many who want to blame others.  Fortunately, there's a very tiny fraction that hate so badly they need to be violent about it.

The possibility of fame due to the media beating the story to death for weeks may motivate the mentally unstable as well.

20 hours ago, Always Wong said:

Sounds like a few forumites that hang out in P&R.

Politics had a lot to do with killing the now-terminated Love Forum at bicycling.com and I'm glad it's limited to P&R here. I've stayed away from it, though - I get agitated enough with politics as it is.

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I think you are either lying to yourself (or us) or repressing those very natural inclinations to shoot individuals from time to time.

...honestly speaking (only for myself of course), the majority of my murderous fantasies involve choking the life out of someone with my arms and hands, watching the life drain from their face.  I think it might be related to training and temperament. Shooting someone seems so impersonal and distant.

• Awesome 1

10 hours ago, roadsue said:

No urge to shoot someone ever. 

I do think everyone has the capability to kill built right in, it is there.  We just learn not to do it is all, society and all that. If we were a year into a dystopian freefall, you would be a spear-carrying killing machine.  First it would be animals to eat, but pretty soon it would be to wear the skin of your human victims like a suit.