Fake Facebook Page - tried to scam me!

MickinMD

I woke up early this morning, around 6 am, and while I wasn't on Facebook a window popped up while I was on a chess.com page with a Facebook Friend request from my cousin Linda.

I thought we already were Facebook friends (we are) but I confirmed the friend request.

Soon after, I went to my Facebook page and an instant message window popped up with Linda's name, telling me she had good news, she won $150,000 from Publisher's Clearinghouse, she saw my name on the list of winners, and gave me a person and number to "text" to see if I was still on the list.

Not born yesterday, I asked "Linda" how her brother Tommy was doing. Tommy died a couple months ago after a long illness.

She replied, "Doing fine."

So I went to this fake Linda's page - which used my cousin's photo of her and her husband as its logo just like her real page, then loaded in the real Linda's page - there was a slight address difference: no photos, the fake page had 3 friends compared to the real Linda's 198, etc.

I announced on the fake page that it was a fake page, the fake Linda objected and that conversation, of course, also appeared on my home page.

After googling how to report an imposter on Facebook, I clicked on the "..." at the bottom right of the black rectangle that was at the top of the fake page, and followed the link to report an imposter.

Within a couple minutes that page was no longer up and a little later the messages on my Facebook page between me and fake Linda were gone, too.

It was a good thing I took a lot of screen caps while all this was going on, otherwise the real Linda would probably think I was crazy when I emailed her about being impersonated on Facebook.

Here's part of the instant message conversation. You can call the number to see if you've won, but I wouldn't recommend it!

1643170702_Capture1namelimited.JPG.c8d510341666a4a3beffd53d14421f3c.JPG391168390_Capture2namelimited.JPG.b47825da4478af5bf05bcb1dc46443bf.JPG

• Awesome 1

Oh, and while you were FB messaging the faker they got a copy of your contacts so now they have yours and Linda's.  And who knows what else they obtained while visiting.  

We always think we are smarter than the people who are smart enough to get away with this stuff.  Oh, and those people have east European addresses.

27 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Oh, and while you were FB messaging the faker they got a copy of your contacts so now they have yours and Linda's.  And who knows what else they obtained while visiting.  

We always think we are smarter than the people who are smart enough to get away with this stuff.  Oh, and those people have east European addresses.

The faker clearly had all of Linda's friends, etc. because they even had downloaded her logo picture.  And my Facebook page, too had also already been targeted - my first contact was a friend request from the fake page.  There's nothing on my page they could see after I messaged them they couldn't have seen previously.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

negative ghost rider. Name of Brenda sounds like Texas...or South Carolina. 

Pffft.  Brenda is the name of Boris’ avatar.  Nick and his financial future are toast.  He just doesn’t know it yet.  

In another time the warning would be, “never argue with someone who buys ink by the barrel.”

Mick was trying to match digital wits with someone who pays his bills by selling info on the dark web.

I have a Facebook account, mainly for two reasons: 1) some comment boards require a Facebook-login, 2) fellow grads of my no-longer existing high school have a private, members-only Facebook Page called "I Grew Up in Brooklyn Park" (Maryland) which is great for catching up and reminiscing - one guy from my graduating class digs up old photos on the internet of the area, mostly from the '50's to the '70's, and asks people to guess the location.  It's often a picture of something no longer standing, like a local gas station that was destroyed in a hurricane.

But it's gotten to the point where some family get-togethers, deaths, births, etc. are ONLY announced on Facebook - so you're out-of-the-loop if you don't check it a few days/week and, even then, with 29 first-cousins and lots of 2nd cousins on top of friends and former students, there are so many messages to sort thru it's tough to find everything you want.

16 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Pffft.  Brenda is the name of Boris’ avatar.  Nick and his financial future are toast.  He just doesn’t know it yet.  

In another time the warning would be, “never argue with someone who buys ink by the barrel.”

Mick was trying to match digital wits with someone who pays his bills by selling info on the dark web.

I respond to these scammers all the time.  I always use a fake name.  I think it was Miller this time.