Well it's probably the sad start of many.

Dottleshead

I got the call tonight from my siblings. My 86 year old father fell and broke his left femur. Surgery tomorrow. Yes. I understand he had been drinking too. I am afraid there will be more down the road... especially if he doesn't stop drinking. I can hope he heals and this is his wake up call -- but I am not holding my breath.

• Sad 9

My Mom had hip surgery for a break after a fall around that same age.  She's still doing well 5 years later, but she was very diligent about doing all her rehab exercises.  That is very important, and I hope your Dad has the same commitment.  It will make a difference.

• Heart 1

Well he had his surgery this morning and not surprising he is asleep. I understand it went well. He seems to think he is going to go home after tonight and sister says he was tearing out his monitor wires and such. Not surprising. He makes a crappy patient. Anyway, I don't think he truly gets yet the gravity of his situation. He has always been driven and I know he will do his best in physical therapy. That's one area he excels at. But he's not 34 anymore and he's likely to do more damage to himself before he is ready. Then again this could be the first mountain he is unable to scale. I see him here at least a week in hospital is my best guess and then transferred to a remote facility for at least a couple weeks. I honestly don't know what his treatment plan is yet but he is in for a rude awakening.

On 2/27/2019 at 1:12 AM, Dottles said:

he had been drinking too

When I read the title, I thought this was going to be about conception under the same conditions... :) 

Sorry about your Dad though, Dotty.  Hope for the best recovery but don't expect quick at his age.  Be patient, we become our parents guardian. 

• Heart 1

Well, after a sequence of blood transfusions, the doctor is saying his red blood cell count is stabilized enough to move him to an assisted living facility. I don't know.  I'm not the doc and I don't have the training and background but just yesterday his blood count was dropping.  I don't know how in the course of less than 24 hours they can say he's stabilized.  Certainly the new place isn't fit to handle blood transfusions if required.  The place he went to is part of CHI and out here in my hometown, they don't rate to high.  Maybe I'm just being overprotective but it's not a hidden secret that they need the rooms at this time of year and I suspect they're just moving him out.