So....I've become a runner

Further

11 hours ago, Dottie said:

Or double up my biking efforts. I have a semi-recumbent stationary bike I can sit my ass on for 30 minutes a day. That's on those days I am too lazy to get out and ride the electrical. Muhahahaha.

You could get a good workout on that e-bike if you ride it with the motor shut off. It would be like my touring bike pulling the trailer to DC with the cast iron kitchen sink in it.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Dottie said:

I know. I have been hovering around a certain weight for 10 months and I need something to break the log jam.

I started this silliness about 5 or 6 months ago. I was in pretty sad shape. I started by walking a trail through the woods, gradually adding running the uphills, uphill is more strenuous yet easier on the joints. So almost a half a year later I'm able to jog slowly for 3 miles at a stretch, and I've lost about 20 pounds.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

3 minutes ago, Further said:

I started this silliness about 5 or 6 months ago. I was in pretty sad shape. I started by walking a trail through the woods, gradually adding running the uphills, uphill is more strenuous yet easier on the joints. So almost a half a year later I'm able to jog slowly for 3 miles at a stretch, and I've lost about 20 pounds.

BTW, the only running I enjoy is trail running, and you are absolutely spot on in the uphill is tougher yet easier concept. 

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Further said:

Yep. I think 3 miles is ideal. Do that 3 times a week and you're golden.

My friend Amy has taken up trail running. She posted a selfie after her run yesterday, she looked like she was beat. She said trail running is really different but she enjoys it.  She has done many Ironman races and podiumed on them. She claimed she has done her last Ironman. We’ll see.

• Heart 1

Just now, Dottie said:

I think it'd be way fun.  But I have to watch out for bears and cougars out here, man.  Plus those damn roots -- certain to trip and bust my balls.

Do you have TIME for an activity like running? It seems your to-do list is mighty long still.

• Awesome 1

Trail running is much more engaging than road or groomed trail running. On a nice manicured trail you can let your mind float off on it's own journey, solve world problems or just meditate.

On a gnarly ass goat path you are totally focussed on the task at hand, or least you should be. Roots, rocks, tree branches hanging down to snare or stab you....

They are both fun and both good exercise, but completely different. On a rocky trail a twisted ankle is a very real concern, if you do hurt yourself it may be a while before someone finds you. Repetitive stress injuries are more likely on the road, also traffic concerns.

Kind of like road vs mountain biking

Mix it up, do a little of a lot of different activities to get a balanced workout without overstressing any one muscle group.

The important thing is to keep moving.

But take it slow, it takes way longer to recover from an injury than it does to back it down for another week or two and avoid getting the injury.

This is all just my opinion and experience, I'm far from expert, but I've made enough mistakes over the years to have learned a little.   

• Awesome 1

I took a city bus home on Saturday. It was funny. Every few stops the passengers would yell out to the bus driver..."you got a runner". And he is just lamenting ... all day long, people can't get to the stop on time, see the bus and start running.?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

I took a city bus home on Saturday. It was funny. Every few stops the passengers would yell out to the bus driver..."you got a runner". And he is just lamenting ... all day long, people can't get to the stop on time, see the bus and start running.?

I remember chasing a city bus about three blocks when I was a little kid. ?‍♂️  Talk about a carrot on a stick. Didn't catch it.   

I am still struggling getting used to the drugs.  Running is really hard.  I will keep at it until I win.  I don't know what winning looks like yet, but I'm not there.  I have resorted to a 1.7 mile loop in the morning.  Some days I have to walk 5 times, today I was able to run the whole thing.  I like running, especially a good run.

• Heart 2