Here we go? Untracked coronavirus appears in Northern Cali

Dottleshead

My manager just came by and said it was ok now if I worked from home.  I mean, I think that's always been in play but the fact that he came by and said it says we're playing catch up with the rest of the city.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-facebook/big-tech-firms-ask-seattle-employees-to-work-from-home-over-coronavirus-fears-idUSKBN20S0MZ

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/some-seattle-tech-companies-tell-employees-to-work-from-home-to-slow-spread-of-coronavirus/

4 hours ago, Dottles said:

My manager just came by and said it was ok now if I worked from home.  I mean, I think that's always been in play but the fact that he came by and said it says we're playing catch up with the rest of the city.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-facebook/big-tech-firms-ask-seattle-employees-to-work-from-home-over-coronavirus-fears-idUSKBN20S0MZ

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/some-seattle-tech-companies-tell-employees-to-work-from-home-to-slow-spread-of-coronavirus/

He knows you have it.  

it was nice knowing you. 

4 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Said they were all planning just in case— I heard some unofficial stuff about who would be paid and who would not. So many rumors. I have an update tomorrow.  Then I will text you 

If they don't pay her, I'm fine with that.  As long as health insurance is covered.

At the moment, I make enough to cover us both.

Mudkipz

7 minutes ago, Dottles said:

That is almost exactly oposite of what the article said:  "Starting Monday (March 9), classes at the University of Washington will be taught remotely through the end of the quarter that ends March 20."

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dottles said:

This is what I get

(function(){

var location_path = (function(){
        var ret = "";

ret = document.location.hostname;

if (typeof window.top.location !== "undefined") {
          try {
            ret = window.top.location.hostname;
          } catch(err) {
            // do nothing
          }
        }

ret = (typeof ret === "string") ? ret.replace("www.", "") : "";

return ret;

}());

var xcf_path = (function(){
        var ret = "";
        if (/radio\.foxnews/.test(location_path)) {
          ret = "radio.foxnews";
        }
        return ret;
      }());

var location_referrer = (function(){

var loc = window.location,
          url = loc.protocol + "//" + (loc.host || loc.hostname) + loc.pathname;
        return encodeURIComponent(url);

}());

var iframe = '<iframe aria-label="More+Videos" src="//video.foxnews.com/v/video-embed.html?video_id=6138800756001${loc}${ref}${xcf}" width="466" height="263" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>';
  iframe = iframe.replace('$\{loc\}','&loc='+location_path);
  iframe = iframe.replace('$\{xcf\}','&_xcf='+xcf_path);
  iframe = iframe.replace('$\{ref\}','&ref='+location_referrer);
  document.write(iframe);

}());
  • Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

This is what I get

(function(){

var location_path = (function(){
        var ret = "";

ret = document.location.hostname;

if (typeof window.top.location !== "undefined") {
          try {
            ret = window.top.location.hostname;
          } catch(err) {
            // do nothing
          }
        }

ret = (typeof ret === "string") ? ret.replace("www.", "") : "";

return ret;

}());

var xcf_path = (function(){
        var ret = "";
        if (/radio\.foxnews/.test(location_path)) {
          ret = "radio.foxnews";
        }
        return ret;
      }());

var location_referrer = (function(){

var loc = window.location,
          url = loc.protocol + "//" + (loc.host || loc.hostname) + loc.pathname;
        return encodeURIComponent(url);

}());

var iframe = '<iframe aria-label="More+Videos" src="//video.foxnews.com/v/video-embed.html?video_id=6138800756001${loc}${ref}${xcf}" width="466" height="263" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>';
  iframe = iframe.replace('$\{loc\}','&loc='+location_path);
  iframe = iframe.replace('$\{xcf\}','&_xcf='+xcf_path);
  iframe = iframe.replace('$\{ref\}','&ref='+location_referrer);
  document.write(iframe);

}());

Ain't it a thing of beauty?? Yeah, I can't find a direct link to the FauxNews video without giving away personal info. So the message here is don't click on that link or you could get coronavirus!  Seriously, I thought what she had to say was interesting and how this is all impacting all of us even if it's not directly relating to our health.

Here's a link to the page.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/maria-bartiromo-hundreds-of-thousands-of-coronavirus-cases

A coronavirus patient's pet dog that tested positive for the virus last week is now "likely" the first case of human-to-animal transmission, health authorities said Wednesday. The dog was found to have a low-level infection of the coronavirus after being tested repeatedly for the disease, a spokesperson for Hong Kong's Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) said in a statement.

Corona virus patient's dog is now believed to be the first case of human-to-animal transmission

gettyimages-1199162438.jpg

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Are the 13 in Nebraska all from the UoN infectious disease center and their quarantine center?

Yes. California, Nebraska, Texas, Utah and Washington all got some.

"Forty-three Americans who spent time aboard the ship, where the virus spread among passengers and crew members, were evacuated and treated in the United States.

Those patients, who were flown out of Japan on two U.S. government flights, have received care at hospitals in California, Nebraska, Texas, Utah and Washington State.

A specialized unit at Nebraska Medicine in Omaha treated 13 coronavirus patients from the ship. A handful had returned home by Thursday. But others remained hospitalized as tests continued to show the virus in their bodies.

“One of the things, when we talked about what we don’t know yet, is how long does this hang on,” said Shelly Schwedhelm, Nebraska Medicine’s executive director of emergency management and biopreparedness."

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What shows there is some over-reaction is that I heard a week or more ago about local (DC & VA) area "patients being tested for corona...." in the news.  Almost like they were "sure things" to have it, yet nothing on those NYT lists for DC or VA.

There is overreaction for sure but the fact is, they still don't know enough about it.  And this is going to explode.  Then it'll be -- I hope this isn't bad cuz everyone's got it,  It's been repeated over and over here that folks have gotten and they don't know how.  For all they know, it may take some incubation time to show up later.  That's the concern I think.  People are getting sick from unknown origins. I think we could all live with those numbers if we had a high degree of confidence that they won't get larger.  But almost everything I'm reading including the scientific community -- they are expecting those numbers to grow very large in the next 6 months or so.

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

The other thing is, our ability to test just hasn't been there.  It's reserved for the extreme cases.  By the time it catches up in production, I suspect it's going to be verifying lots and lots of positives.

Won't that bring the "seriousness" down a bit then?  Say you have 5 deaths in 100 confirmed cases ... PANIC.  5 deaths in a revised 10,000 cases ... MEH!

Or do you think we'll uncover a lot of deaths from corona that happened but were ruled otherwise? Or that the delay of incubation, illness, recovery/death is still unknown this early?

Just now, Kzoo said:

Thank you Dr. Dottie, Doctor of Infectious Diseases and Immunology.  Graduate of the Medical School, University of Hard Knocks 

I've had access to some of the CDC stuff.  Your community may not be shut down but mine is -- and for good reason.  We don't have the capacity to test to meet the demand.  They have only been testing the worse of the worse.  I don't think this is going to be crippling but it's going to get ugly.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Won't that bring the "seriousness" down a bit then?  Say you have 5 deaths in 100 confirmed cases ... PANIC.  5 deaths in a revised 10,000 cases ... MEH!

Or do you think we'll uncover a lot of deaths from corona that happened but were ruled otherwise? Or that the delay of incubation, illness, recovery/death is still unknown this early?

I don't know what it means.  They're still learning more about it.  But when folks in your community -- the same one you travel through or spend time in daily -- start testing positive for the virus and they don't know where they contacted it from -- says this thing has been circulating in the community and they don't know how.  To me that's the larger concern.