Here we go? Untracked coronavirus appears in Northern Cali

Dottleshead

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

13 documented cases now in western Washington. And gobs they're watching.

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

The latest reporting is 80% of the infected cases are mild. But they are now suggesting to avoid crowds and work from home if you can. Wash your hands vigorously and keep a 6 ft distance.  Yeah.  6 feet.  Don't ask me why.  I like 300+ feet better. :)

Add Rhode Island, New York and Florida into the mix.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/rhode-island-coronavirus-people-monitored

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/01/health/us-coronavirus-sunday/index.html

https://www.foxnews.com/health/new-york-1st-coronavirus-case-cuomo

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/national/coronavirus/two-presumptive-cases-of-coronavirus-reported-in-tampa-bay

Can you say 'OUTBREAK'?

5 hours ago, Dottles said:

The latest reporting is 80% of the infected cases are mild. But they are now suggesting to avoid crowds and work from home if you can. Wash your hands vigorously and keep a 6 ft distance.  Yeah.  6 feet.  Don't ask me why.  I like 300+ feet better. :)

I prefer that you stay on that coast.  However, jokes aside, it's out of the box now and it really doesn't matter.  Mild cases or not, the 1 in 50 number leads to thoughts about the Spanish Flu.

10 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Here's an interesting recommendation, call ahead before going to the ER for flu like symptoms. This would ensure you will be isolated from other patients and the medical people can prep for and defend against potential infection.

I sure that one in several hundred will bother doing that.  It is one of those good ideas that is thrown by the wayside by john q public.

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I prefer that you stay on that coast.  However, jokes aside, it's out of the box now and it really doesn't matter.  Mild cases or not, the 1 in 50 number leads to thoughts about the Spanish Flu.

I need to go out and see my cardiologist today. Otherwise I am coming home and working from home. Maybe all week. 

4 hours ago, donkpow said:

Here's an interesting recommendation, call ahead before going to the ER for flu like symptoms. This would ensure you will be isolated from other patients and the medical people can prep for and defend against potential infection.

I went to my doctor today for the second shingles vaccine and they had signs all over the medical building saying that if you had flu symptoms and had been to one of the "hot spots" to go to the emergency room rather than your GP and to call ahead to the ER. 

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I went to my doctor today for the second shingles vaccine and they had signs all over the medical building saying that if you had flu symptoms and had been to one of the "hot spots" to go to the emergency room rather than your GP and to call ahead to the ER. 

My cardiologist office asked if I recently have been to China during checkin. I said no, but worse, as I live and work in Snohomish and King counties.

• Haha 1

An interesting and unique problem we have here in America, where the spread of the virus is just getting started:  2 in 5 workers in retail, hospitality, food service - jobs that have the most contact with the most people - have neither health insurance nor paid sick time.  So, due to our insistence that "social" medicine or government mandated paid leave would somehow spell the end of society, the people most able to spread the virus are also the people most encouraged to not seek treatment and be in contact with hundreds of people each day.

Still going to Burger King for lunch?  Think you might hear a cough or two over the grill?

6 hours ago, Dottles said:

My cardiologist office asked if I recently have been to China during checkin. I said no, but worse, as I live and work in Snohomish and King counties.

Eye doctor's office asked me the same thing.  I don't tell them that my son has been here for about 40 days now.  It's either unimportant or we have been tracking the wrong symptoms and time lines.

• Heart 1

"Scientists are still researching how long the novel coronavirus can survive on surfaces, but an analysis of 22 earlier studies of similar coronaviruses found that they can remain infectious on inanimate surfaces for up to nine days at room temperature, but they can become inactive using common disinfectants."

-- be informed.

“You should never destroy your own credibility. And you don't want to go to war with a president,” Fauci, who has been the country’s top infectious diseases expert through a dozen outbreaks and six presidents, told POLITICO in an interview Friday. “But you got to walk the fine balance of making sure you continue to tell the truth.”

And the truth about coronavirus? “I don't think that we are going to get out of this completely unscathed,” he said. “I think that this is going to be one of those things we look back on and say boy, that was bad.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/03/anthony-fauci-trump-coronavirus-crisis-118961

On 3/2/2020 at 10:17 AM, 12string said:

An interesting and unique problem we have here in America, where the spread of the virus is just getting started:  2 in 5 workers in retail, hospitality, food service - jobs that have the most contact with the most people - have neither health insurance nor paid sick time.  So, due to our insistence that "social" medicine or government mandated paid leave would somehow spell the end of society, the people most able to spread the virus are also the people most encouraged to not seek treatment and be in contact with hundreds of people each day.

Still going to Burger King for lunch?  Think you might hear a cough or two over the grill?

I've been wondering about this all along in the U.S. because of your health care system which discourages those who are caught in between without private health care benefit.

6 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I'm on the bus and just fucking sneezed into my armpit. But that sneeze felt different and now I am paranoid. It was one of those that tingled through my body with ache as if to say red alert.

...the second night I had whatever this is, I woke myself up every hour because my breathing was making that crackling sound you get with mild pneumonia. I hadn't had that for a long time. :) 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

I went in about mid-afternoon and sure enough it was a ghost town.  I'm going back in this morning and expecting to see ghosts.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/seattle-ghost-town-residents-face-uncertainty-growing-coronavirus-outbreak-n1148941

You might see dead people.

This is gallows humor as there really isn't anything funny about the situation.

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

You might see dead people.

This is gallows humor as there really isn't anything funny about the situation.

It's my way of dealing with it. Please ignore it if it bothers you. You and I are probably the only ones taking this the most serious or at least willing to talk about it.  My wife literally works in the epicenter where all this is breaking out. I laugh at those who tell me not to panic in their isolated, insulated worlds. I'm not nearly panicking. Just using dark humor to help me get through it. It stands to reason that somebody in her care center catches it and passes on through her office and she brings it home to me.  I would say of all the people who post in this forum, I am the most likely to get it (first). It should also be noted I have heart disease -- which puts me in the higher risk category.  A reminder to those reading this, our bodies have no antibodies to fight this. We are all vulnerable. 

This from my wife who literally works in a branch of EvergreenHealth 3 miles from the assisted living senior home which has had numerous deaths:

"We have quarantine exam rooms set up at work for potentially infected patients that have to be pre screened and come in through a side door normally only used by staff. This is real. Have been loading up much more frequently than usual on the hand sanitizer & hand washing."

I repeat if you our fortunate to live in an area not hit, it's only a matter of time before you do.

7 minutes ago, Dottles said:

our bodies have no antibodies to fight this

This is the part people are forgetting when comparing it to the flu.  Latest fatality rate estimate is 3.4%

We're not a health care facility, and we set up a quarantine room.  They are also getting those non contact thermometers, apparently they expect to walk around and randomly check suspects.  Not sure about the legality of these measures.  We also are now required to take laptops home every night, in case anyone in our house catches it, at which time we're required to work from home for 2 weeks.

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I would say of all the people who post in this forum, I am the most likely to get it (first). A reminder to those reading this, our bodies have no antibodies to fight this. We are all vulnerable.

If I get it I am blaming you for spreading it through this forum.  :angry:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Eldest son is now teaching 4 nights a week on a schedule more like that of the school in China.  That means he teaches for a couple of hours, then later for a couple more.  Then he stays on the computer for what amounts to office hours.  Basically he's going to be up most all nights and sleep during parts of the day.  This requires that we abandon the room he's teaching in and at other times sleep while he's teaching.  In spite of his being here since early January we still question every cough.  :unsure:

13 hours ago, Dottles said:

So you had pneumonia?

...yeah, but pretty mild. I've had it before.  It seems to have been pretty limited, and not deeper in the lobes.  

I'll be hacking up lungers for a couple of weeks, and then everything will be back to normal.  Meanwhile, I'll stay home a lot so I don't cough and get reported to the CDC.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, who is gonna be first on the forum to get it?

it is starting up here, so it will probably ramp up really quickly. 

I volunteer.  I would like to get it, kick it's ass, and then become a spokesperson for the "Stop-Freaking-Out-Over-Every-Little-Virus Organization"!  :)

10 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I volunteer.  I would like to get it, kick it's ass, and then become a spokesperson for the "Stop-Freaking-Out-Over-Every-Little-Virus Organization"!  :)

RR I would not say talking about it or staying informed is freaking out about it. I continue to go to work and will continue to go work through the epicenter of the breakout. I will even transfer from the comfy of my RAV4 to public transportation in the epicenter while going in for a coffee before I go into the heart of the city. In my book, that's not freaking out. Actually I wish I'd catch a milder version of it so my body understands how to kick it's ass. Right now, though, it surely is doing the ass kicking.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

They are saying everybody isn’t screwed until they are.  

That will certainly be coming, though. 

Teaching the kids to wash their hands for 20 seconds.  But probably have dirty doors on their bathrooms. And those desks likely never get Lysoled.  Can you give her some disinfectant wipes to swab her desk with and the lunch table?

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Teaching the kids to wash their hands for 20 seconds.  But probably have dirty doors on their bathrooms. And those desks likely never get Lysoled.  Can you give her some disinfectant wipes to swab her desk with and the lunch table?

Have you ever seen a child?  Their attention to detail is lacking, as is their ability to connect washing hands with lack of illness. 

Kids touch everything, then touch eyes, nose, mouths.  They are transmission vehicles.  

"Flu-like symptoms" is a pretty general term.  Exactly what symptoms does the CDC mean?  They specifically mention fever and I've seen 'shortness of breath'.  What about diarrhea? Vomiting?  Will I be shooting it out both ends?  What about aches and pains?