Non-med maskmaking frenzy-for all air passengers now

shootingstar

Surgical masks do not protect you, they protect others.  The only mask that will protect the wearer is an N95, or possibly a mask with a hepa filter.  If everyone is wearing a mask, it can protect the masses, because it supposedly catches the droplets when people cough or sneeze.  

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Why wouldn't you just wear a medical mask?

Because they are in short supply and high demand.

It is just a face covering including scarves.  Funny though, it does not apply to children under 6.  The germie little buggers that are most likely to spread it.  They can also be removed to eat or drink or any time the flight attendants feel you meet standard social distancing protocol. 

Stylized mask will become the latest fashion accessory in all the stores, complete with designer logos. Can't wait for them to get to Ross where will be marked down!

Also, I heard the way to improve the effectiveness of the homemade fabric mask, is not the excessive folds, but to design as a pocket to insert a replaceable/disposable coffee filter (cut single layer to fit or design as the "v"). Supposedly takes it up to close to N95. (in the upper 80s filtering).

9 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Because they are in short supply and high demand.

They seem to be everywhere here (the regular surgical masks).  Everybody walking around has them, and every bodega in the city seems to be selling them.  If they are in short supply, then people responsible for finding them aren't trying even remotely hard enough to find them and are being easily outclassed by Pakistani, Vietnamese, and middle eastern small family single-store businesses.

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

They seem to be everywhere here (the regular surgical masks).  Everybody walking around has them, and every bodega in the city seems to be selling them.  If they are in short supply, then people responsible for finding them aren't trying even remotely hard enough to find them and are being easily outclassed by Pakistani, Vietnamese, and middle eastern small family single-store businesses.

Now, you've given us ideas...a good thing to visit places where one may not expect.  Or a large restaurant equipment supply store.

3 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Stylized mask will become the latest fashion accessory in all the stores, complete with designer logos. Can't wait for them to get to Ross where will be marked down!

Also, I heard the way to improve the effectiveness of the homemade fabric mask, is not the excessive folds, but to design as a pocket to insert a replaceable/disposable coffee filter (cut single layer to fit or design as the "v"). Supposedly takes it up to close to N95. (in the upper 80s filtering).

My pattern that I got off the Internet, does have a pattern design option to add a pocket for a (heap or something. A disposable coffee would have bigger holes?) filter....I can't imagine with my current fit. It feels overly snug around my face. I've always known I have a wide face. 

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

@2Far has 10 thousand or so.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, shootingstar said:

So I went on mask sewing frenzy. 

Awesome masks! But why a frenzy?  I can't imagine 1) you plan to fly anytime soon and 2) that when you do fly the mask order will still be in place.

I think we've written off flying for the rest of this year.  Unless there is an insane - to zero - drop in COVID-19 cases in the US, there is no reason to board a plane with 100+ unknown folks randomly carrying illness.

12 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

I tested negative. I don't have to wear a mask. 

Don't steal my shtick!

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Awesome masks! But why a frenzy?  I can't imagine 1) you plan to fly anytime soon and 2) that when you do fly the mask order will still be in place.

I think we've written off flying for the rest of this year.  Unless there is an insane - to zero - drop in COVID-19 cases in the US, there is no reason to board a plane with 100+ unknown folks randomly carrying illness.

Don't steal my shtick!

Am flying next wk.

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Am flying next wk.

WHAT?????? 

I guess, if only 3 folks on board a 737/A320, I'd be okay with that.  But no way, no how would I be flying with a full flight or even 1/2 full flight.  I wonder if they are allotting one set of seats per passenger now?  One person per three seats? Zig-zagging them by row - aisle - window - aisle - window?

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

WHAT?????? 

I guess, if only 3 folks on board a 737/A320, I'd be okay with that.  But no way, no how would I be flying with a full flight or even 1/2 full flight.  I wonder if they are allotting one set of seats per passenger now?  One person per three seats? Zig-zagging them by row - aisle - window - aisle - window?

Ok..I know forumites are freaking out abit.  I did mention I flew several wks. ago. The plane seemed to have a slight disinfectant, but pleasant smell in the air.

There were approx. 15 people for aircraft that must have seated over 100 people. We were sorta spaced out. Behind me were 2 Asian women in their 20's-30's,  for whatever reason, they had to sit together.  It struck me as terribly childish of them.  I don't care about cultural whatever for just gossiping. They were wearing masks. (I don't like adults who insist on that in pandemic for this type of seating situation. I mean seriously, only little children....)

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Ok..I know forumites are freaking out abit.  I did mention I flew several wks. ago. 

There were approx. 15 people for aircraft that must have seated over 100 people. We were sorta spaced out. Behind me were 2 Asian women in their 20's-30's,  for whatever reason, they had to sit together.  It struck me as terribly childish of them.  I don't care about cultural whatever for just gossiping. They were wearing masks. (I don't like adults who insist on that in this type of situation. I mean seriously, only little children....)

I don't see the problem, if they are siblings, partners, etc. that are together in and out of the aircraft. Not like they are strangers.

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I don't see the problem, if they are siblings, partners, etc. that are together in and out of the aircraft. Not like they are strangers.

Hard to know sheep herder. People can claim whatever.. It is a honour system with the social distancing limit and total number of allowable people in groups...which varies per jurisdiction.  Most likely 80% of time, people are truthful. I haven't lost total faith in humanity.