Living near a prison

Tizeye

Quiet, peaceful, with a well lit horizon silhouetting the neighborhood all night. Rarely any helicopters circling or landing. If anyone escapes, they are not stopping at your house but getting away as far away as possible, so the helicopters are way downrange. 

• Heart 1

Jon here.  Living in prison bad.  Did days once. Small misunderstand with stazi over size of gift for week.  OK though, Russian guard friend and only owe one or two small favors. You say hi insult bot for Jon.  Meet in prison.  OK for west but not so strong insult for Kazakhstan. You say Jon tell mother Saiga father not know.  He laugh.  Good buddy.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

I was part of a roll out to suppress a riot at the Lorton Prison not to far from @Razors Edge back in the day.

Guards firing shotguns into the crowds, freaking crazy!  We were a little ways off for traffic control but still had a good view.  Still odd to me that Active duty Military Police were utilized on a civilian disturbance but it was exciting.  

Anyway living near a prison could have its negatives as well.

• Heart 2

Parody backfire. This was intended as a parody to @Razors Edge's "Living near a hospital" thread.

However, it is true that in college (grad school) our neighborhood did back up to the Federal Prison. 

Another time when active duty, I lived on Maxwell AFB that had a low security Federal prison that some of the Watergate people spent time there. Haldeman actually picked up our garbage. They also kept the golf course well groomed. It was a joke. No gate securing it and the fence was chain link about 4' high. A lot of drug crimes and when they had a weekend pass, they had their Leer waiting at the Montgomery airport...but always returned as the gig was too good compared to where they would send them if the escaped. 

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Rick5234 said:

There's a prison a little way's from me that I pass every so often.  It's on a main road.  There are signs on the road that say, "Do not pick up hitch hikers".

I also drive by a prison near East St. Louis. It's a former Catholic High School. I'm sure that things were tougher when nuns ran the place.

However I do think it violates the 'cruel and unusual punishment' clause. On one side is one of the best rib joints in the area and on the other side is a Larry Flynt's Hustler Club stripper joint. Makes me feel a little sad for the poor bastards inside.

• Haha 2

I live near the local jail. I can shortcut off the highway and go right past jail, halfway house, 911 center, State police & Juvie jail. Maybe a mental health place too? Only remember one possible escapee going through the 'hood. I think we were out of town when that happened. If you come in the "regular "way you have no idea that complex is over there

we do have a few Troopers & Sheriffs cruise by on the way to patrol. The local police are across town by Costco

11 hours ago, Airehead said:

I love it when an attempted parody thread is better than the thread it attempted to parody. 
I drive by the Allenwood Federal joint on my way home to Merryland. The don’t pick up hitchhikers signs. 

We used to drive by Moundsville state pen on the way to the grandparents and it had those signs. It was a point of interest on a long drive for us kids.