Why do HVAC emergencies happen so often on a holiday?

Prophet Zacharia

Why do HVAC emergencies happen so often on holiday weekends  

7 members have voted

1. 1. My AC went out today. Compressor only hums. How screwed am I on this hot holiday weekend?

• Not too bad, $150-300, the worst will be the holiday service charge
    • Stiff, $300-500, but you’ll have AC on this 94f day
    • Apply for overtime, a $500+ bill incoming

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/15/2020 at 04:00 AM

24 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Prepare for the worst and be pleasantly surprised if it's not as bad as you think.

My worst case scenario was needing a new AC unit. I have NO IDEA what those things cost new, and I don’t want to find out. So while I won’t say what I had to spend just yet, in case anyone else wants to weigh in, I am pleased I am back in cool air, same day-ish. It went out at some point last night, we woke up to 83 degree temps in our bedroom. We will be more comfortable tonight!

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

My worst case scenario was needing a new AC unit. I have NO IDEA what those things cost new, and I don’t want to find out. So while I won’t say what I had to spend just yet, in case anyone else wants to weigh in, I am pleased I am back in cool air, same day-ish. It went out at some point last night, we woke up to 83 degree temps in our bedroom. We will be more comfortable tonight!

My new one cost $4400. The old one was 8 years old with a terminal defect. That sucked. I will now proceed to hate Johnson Controls for quite some time!

4 hours ago, Further said:

There are a lot of minor things that can stop your air conditioner. Hope it is one of them.

The guy that fixed mine told us that air conditioner parts are getting scarce.

Hope it minor.

AC parts aren't the only parts that are getting scarce. Supply chain disruptions are coming home to roost.

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Yup. Just under 3 bills, with $150 charged for them to show up. But they came fast, on a hot “holiday”.

So... $150 to show up.   I'll guess $80 for labor.  $10 for taxes/misc.  $60 for parts and/or refrigerant.  What needed to be repaired?? 

13 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:
14 hours ago, team scooter said:

A capacitor went bad or some such.

That was our problem. The service call was more than the part, which was ok by

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

A capacitor.

Opps... I guess I don't read very close when I'm tired.   

I was an HVAC technician for many years. And it’s just a matter of Murphy’s Law concerning emergencies on holidays...

Glad to hear it was just the capacitor! I once had a capacitor blow up on me while I was bench testing it. Went up like a Roman candle and left burn marks in the ceiling.