The only good thing about bad coffee

jsharr

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Who made the bad coffee if you are alone?

The ladies in the deli in the lobby I quess.  I bought it there along with my bacon egg and cheese croisant.  Coffee has a faint aftertaste of dish soap.  Really unpleasant and about to be poured down the drain.

We went to a cupping at our roaster about a year ago. Just before everything shut down. He did a blind test on both sniffing the grinds and on the tasting after the pour over. He slipped in beans from the most popular roaster’s #1 bean. We didn’t even have to guess. The beans smelled like an ashtray compared to pleasant fragrances from the others. The sip was bitter and burnt compared to the others 

24 minutes ago, groupw said:

We went to a cupping at our roaster about a year ago. Just before everything shut down. He did a blind test on both sniffing the grinds and on the tasting after the pour over. He slipped in beans from the most popular roaster’s #1 bean. We didn’t even have to guess. The beans smelled like an ashtray compared to pleasant fragrances from the others. The sip was bitter and burnt compared to the others 

Starbucks has to burn their beans to get consistent taste.  Burnt, bad, bitter but consistent whereever  you get ripped off by Charbucks.

Not sure why people pay for that swill.

• Heart 2

Just opened a new bag of beans from a local roaster.  One of a gift pack of three different blends.  The first was overroasted.  So was this, but not as burnt.  It's not as bad as Starbucks, but it's not convincing me to buy their coffee.  The Aldi beans are way better, and cheaper

5 minutes ago, 12string said:

Just opened a new bag of beans from a local roaster.  One of a gift pack of three different blends.  The first was overroasted.  So was this, but not as burnt.  It's not as bad as Starbucks, but it's not convincing me to buy their coffee.  The Aldi beans are way better, and cheaper

You should get the Texan that sends out coffee to send you a bag of beans from his local roaster

• Envious 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

It makes you really appreciate good coffee.

I am alone at the office with a cup of bad coffee and a few things to take care of before leaving for the day.

It's also, at least, a source of caffeine.

Back in the '80's, when the great health-fad diet was The Pritikin Promise (85% carbs), Pritikin advised to quit drinking coffee. I did and had caffeine-withdrawal headaches for two weeks.  Within 6 months, I was reading about coffee drinkers living longer and was back drinking coffee.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Starbucks has to burn their beans to get consistent taste.  Burnt, bad, bitter but consistent whereever  you get ripped off by Charbucks.

Not sure why people pay for that swill.

I drink it daily and yet don’t pay a single penny for it!  I like the Verona blond roast & then I put a shot of caramel espresso in it. But then we have Starbucks & Nespresso machines at work.

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

They must have washed their pot, they should have rinsed it too.

There was an unwritten rule in the Navy.  Never wash the pot (don't ask me, I didn't make it up).  This led to the inside of the 40 cup percolator in the office having a coat of brown tar laminated on it.  Every now and then it would get so scummy that for health reasons it had to be scrubbed.  Best you get your coffee elsewhere for a while because the newly cleaned pot would newly clean out everyone who drank from it.  It tasted bad too.  It seems that stomachs get used to just about anything and rebel when change happens.  The tar was an essential part of Navy coffee.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, MickinMD said:

was reading about coffee drinkers living longer and was back drinking coffee.

I was reading about men that drank four cups or more of coffee A day had a much lower rate of prostate cancer. That sold me, my dad quit drinking coffee when he turned 80. He died of prostate cancer at the age of 83.