Does wearing a mask keep frost off the windshield?

MickinMD

I just read one of the stupidest things I ever in a USA Today article, "Should I start my car and let it warm up in cold weather? Experts explain the best way to do it."
Experts at AAA, a federation of motor clubs, say it's not a good idea to warm your car up to keep it from freezing. 

Drivers should start their engine and allow it to idle only for the time it takes you to fasten your seat belt.

That would work on most cold days only if you stick your head out the side window until the windshield defroster heats up and clears it!

When I was working and forgot I had to clean off the windshield in winter and didn't have time to warm up the car, I'd do a quick clean of the windshield, start driving before the car had warmed up, then tried not to breathe too much so the windshield wouldn't collect frost on the inside before the car warmed up enough for warm air to defrost the window.

Sometimes it was a close-run thing with me wiping the inside of the windshield a couple times as I drove along.

So I wondered, does wearing a COVID mask keep the moisture from the windshield or will enough collect there anyway?

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

I just read one of the stupidest things I ever in a USA Today article, "Should I start my car and let it warm up in cold weather? Experts explain the best way to do it."
Experts at AAA, a federation of motor clubs, say it's not a good idea to warm your car up to keep it from freezing. 

Drivers should start their engine and allow it to idle only for the time it takes you to fasten your seat belt.

That would work on most cold days only if you stick your head out the side window until the windshield defroster heats up and clears it!

When I was working and forgot I had to clean off the windshield in winter and didn't have time to warm up the car, I'd do a quick clean of the windshield, start driving before the car had warmed up, then tried not to breathe too much so the windshield wouldn't collect frost on the inside before the car warmed up enough for warm air to defrost the window.

Sometimes it was a close-run thing with me wiping the inside of the windshield a couple times as I drove along.

So I wondered, does wearing a COVID mask keep the moisture from the windshield or will enough collect there anyway?

I think they recommend that for the benefit of the engine and the environment. At one time, they were selling small electric heaters in our area that could be used to warm the cabin and reduce frosting of the windshield.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

I think they recommend that for the benefit of the engine and the environment. At one time, they were selling small electric heaters in our area that could be used to warm the cabin and reduce frosting of the windshield.

That's what the article says and I don't run the engine any longer than I have to, but it's not good for the motor or environment if I can't see out the windshield and crash.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

That's what the article says and I don't run the engine any longer than I have to, but it's not good for the motor or environment if I can't see out the windshield and crash.

Understood!:whistle: That is the reason we use tank heaters on our vehicles in our much colder environment compared to yours. Much easier on the engines and warms up quicker.

9 hours ago, MickinMD said:

It's not a stupid article @MickinMD Did you read all of it?

26 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I think you missed this part.

"Naturally, a little longer idle time is okay in the winter while you clear snow and ice from the windshield and other car parts."

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Longjohn said:

You don’t have to be able to see to drive. I proved that a couple times last month.

So true. Even the blind are eligible for a handicapped parking placard. Amazing. How do they even see the rear view mirror to hang it from?

• Haha 1

Must be true. I wear a mask and don’t have the windshield frosting over on me. Of course, keeping it in the garage helps. Never had to pull out the Florida ice scraper, aka credit card.

yesterday switched back to N95 with the behind the head straps and didn’t have issue with glasses frosting over, at least to the level of other masks. Always afraid would lose hearing aides with the behind the ears straps of KN95 and all others.

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Must be true. I wear a mask and don’t have the windshield frosting over on me. Of course, keeping it in the garage helps. Never had to pull out the Florida ice scraper, aka credit card.

yesterday switched back to N95 with the behind the head straps and didn’t have issue with glasses frosting over, at least to the level of other masks. Always afraid would lose hearing aides with the behind the ears straps of KN95 and all others.

My wife has lost more than one hearing aid in this way.

8 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I have a remote start and stay inside my niece and warm house while my truck is warming up.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I have a remote start and stay inside my niece and warm house while my truck is warming up.

Me too, I had it installed on my wife’s car because she left the house at 4am it’s not a good time to be standing there scraping windows. I inherited her car, I like that feature.

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, Longjohn said:

You don’t have to be able to see to drive. I proved that a couple times last month.

I actually stopped just before I had cataract surgery.  I was turning right at a stop sign and didn't even see a lady that had stepped off a sidewalk.  That was on my way home from work. :o

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I actually stopped just before I had cataract surgery.  I was turning right at a stop sign and didn't even see a lady that had stepped off a sidewalk.  That was on my way home from work. :o

Did you run her over?

up close wasn’t too bad for me but I couldn’t tell what objects were at a distance. I thought I’d see people standing along the road, got closer and saw it was just a mailbox or a garbage tote. I couldn’t read any signs.

50 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Did you run her over?

up close wasn’t too bad for me but I couldn’t tell what objects were at a distance. I thought I’d see people standing along the road, got closer and saw it was just a mailbox or a garbage tote. I couldn’t read any signs.

No, but she was nothing but a ghost image when I did see her.  Scary stuff.