There go the future leaders of our country (I'll bet you thought this was about politics)

maddmaxx

From local news, UCONN students did the obligatory trashing of the campus, breaking down light poles and using them as battering rams to break into buildings following the teams national championship win.  I hope some of the little fuckers were caught and arrested.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

From local news, UCONN students did the obligatory trashing of the campus, breaking down light poles and using them as battering rams to break into buildings following the teams national championship win.  I hope some of the little fuckers were caught and arrested.

You're talking about UConn, not Yale!

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I will never understand this. 

• Awesome 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Just as long as they aren't burning their couches in the streets.  That move is patented by the idiots in East Lansing.

In 99 they were doing just that.  The crowds started bonfires which the university allowed but then students started bringing out furniture from their dorm rooms to add to the fires.  Youngest son was a student there then and he said there was a lot of remorse the next day when they realized that they had burned their couches the night before while drunk.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

When I was growing up, most young people's families didn't have much money and maybe that's why we respected property so much more: we knew how much work it cost to acquire things.

When a guy named Reese in high school fixed up a 1957 Chevy Bel Air with great paint, rolled and pleated upholstery, etc., everyone admired it in the parking lot and Reese didn't have to worry someone was going to scratch it out of jealousy.

When I was teaching high school, kids from wealthier families that had nice cars often from them "keyed" in the parking lot - someone would walk alongside the car and scratch the paint from front to back with a key.

When Jane Fonda came on UMBC's campus around 1970 to give an anti-Vietnam War speech, those of us on teams in the school's Intramural Flag Football League held a meeting and set up shifts the guard the flagpoles outside the gym with the USA and Maryland flags.

My shift occurred during and after the speech and about 20 students walked toward the flags, saw the dozen of us, and kept walking.

The point is that, even with emotions running high, there was no concern about any other damage.  There weren't going to be broken windows, tire fires, etc.  That was considered an awful thing to do by everyone.

When U of MD won the March Madness tournament a couple decades ago, they wrecked a lot of the town of College Park, MD.

4 hours ago, Airehead said:

I will never understand this. 

I find that disturbing.  And it's only a sports game event.

I'm not terribly accustomed to enormous and continuous raucous cheering and whatever, pounding at home, which is what I heard in the suite above me. And alot of hollering, pacing around.  It is very different from my extended family.   

It's not that I don't come from a family that lacks appreciation of a great sports event... but I guess other ways to release oneself.  Remember I have some family members who trained /  competed as teens for several years at regional level in gymnastics, swimming...and then others, who have run marathons, bike rides and several have played ice hockey as a adults, etc. :)  

I do come from a family that yells at each other occasionally in anger, so it's not as if I am unaccustomed to fiery expressions.

12 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

In 99 they were doing just that.  The crowds started bonfires which the university allowed but then students started bringing out furniture from their dorm rooms to add to the fires.  Youngest son was a student there then and he said there was a lot of remorse the next day when they realized that they had burned their couches the night before while drunk.

Think about it - 24 years later...your son is one of the "future leaders" now.  How are we doing?

And, 24 years later, a lot of those then future leaders are now not just leading, but are the parents of this current crop of future leaders.  This is starting to add up!

IOW, maybe UConn shouldn't be allowed to play sports.