OOF! The stale stuffy smell

Dirtyhip

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

an elbow in the drain line designed to hold water that acts as a vapor barrier to keep sewer gas out of the house.

And when the water in the drain line evaporates, there is no more barrier for the sewer gas. Enters the house and it smells like all the people at Burning Man peed in her shower.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

That smell of ... Nobody lives here!  :D

I am filling up P traps, and opening up windows like crazy here.  We leave again tomorrow.  I need a work/life re-introduction program.   We came home for a brief moment.  One more brief trip and then I have to act normal again.  

You might consider a a small drip line that feeds into the drain line just above the trap. Works well unless you turn your water main off when you travel.  We have them in both houses and turn water off at each appliance rather than turning the water main off.  We never have sewer gas in the house which is good, it is methane after all. 

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, jsharr said:

Why does life have to be so complicated?  I just wanted to run away for a while.  :D

Power companies still want minimum fees too.  I thought our power bills would be a heck of a lot less for next to nothing.  

I have learned how to save money while camping.  We saved thousands not paying ridiculous camp fees, parking fees, etc.  Camp outside the camp grounds and day use the crap out of the places you want to be at.  Drive 10 minutes and camp for free.   Forest service roads offer so many possibilities.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Power companies still want minimum fees too.

That's true.  Even if you use no power at all there are still parts of the bill that you have to pay.  Typically, but not always, the largest of these for a residential customer is the monthly meter fee or monthly electrical service fee.  The utility has to recover the cost of buying the meter, reading it, and creating the bill.  These costs exist whether you use bucketloads of power or none at all.

But if you take a good look at your bill, you'll probably see things like 'Transition Adjustment Fee', 'Program Cost Recovery Fee', or some similar line items.  These line items are usually - but again not always - charged on a cost per kwh's used, so the more you use the more you pay.

Many of these fees are government mandated.  Those utility rebate programs for high efficiency furnaces, water heaters, appliances, etc?  The utility isn't taking those out of their pocket when the government mandates them.  The Public Service Commission (or whatever it's called in your state) mandates the rebate program and then allows the utility to add a charge to recover those rebates from their customer base.  So, everybody pays 'a little bit' usually not enough to make people notice or make them squawk.  But they can add up, especially if the Public Service Commission wants to drive a lot of programs through the monopoly of the utility.

3 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

That's true.  Even if you use no power at all there are still parts of the bill that you have to pay.  Typically, but not always, the largest of these for a residential customer is the monthly meter fee or monthly electrical service fee.  The utility has to recover the cost of buying the meter, reading it, and creating the bill.  These costs exist whether you use bucketloads of power or none at all.

But if you take a good look at your bill, you'll probably see things like 'Transition Adjustment Fee', 'Program Cost Recovery Fee', or some similar line items.  These line items are usually - but again not always - charged on a cost per kwh's used, so the more you use the more you pay.

Many of these fees are government mandated.  Those utility rebate programs for high efficiency furnaces, water heaters, appliances, etc?  The utility isn't taking those out of their pocket when the government mandates them.  The Public Service Commission (or whatever it's called in your state) mandates the rebate program and then allows the utility to add a charge to recover those rebates from their customer base.  So, everybody pays 'a little bit' usually not enough to make people notice or make them squawk.  But they can add up, especially if the Public Service Commission wants to drive a lot of programs through the monopoly of the utility.

I remember paying for the infrastructure.  The pole, the transformer, and I thought the meter too.  

It doesn't matter.  I'm gonna quote Jan Levenston.  "It costs what it costs."   Kinda like my garbage service, that only emties half a can when my can is full.  It's a monopoly, which is supposed to be illegal.  I might continue to play the garbage drop game and cancel it all together.  ;)