Everything is metric in Canada

Longjohn

Everything is metric almost everywhere except the USA.

Even us chemists in industrial USA work in metric, because it's so much more sensible, in research then convert it to lbs, gallons, etc. when it goes to the plant.

It puts the USA at a disadvantage in world trade.  For example, a Swedish steel company won a steel flooring contract from Caterpillar because it made the flooring in 25 mm. sizes and American companies made them in 1 inch sizes - 25.4 mm.  That extra 1.6% allowed the Swedes to underbid the US companies.

2 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Everything is metric almost everywhere except the USA.

Even us chemists in industrial USA work in metric, because it's so much more sensible, in research then convert it to lbs, gallons, etc. when it goes to the plant.

It puts the USA at a disadvantage in world trade.  For example, a Swedish steel company won a steel flooring contract from Caterpillar because it made the flooring in 25 mm. sizes and American companies made them in 1 inch sizes - 25.4 mm.  That extra 1.6% allowed the Swedes to underbid the US companies.

In fairness to the USA, almost everything here is a "double standard" :D noting the "old" and the metric measurements.  I'd say, folks are much more likely to be able to do fast rapid conversions nowadays than they could when I was a kid for things like km to mile or liter to gallon or pound to kilo or Fahrenheit to celsius. 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

In fairness to the USA, almost everything here is a "double standard" :D noting the "old" and the metric measurements.  I'd say, folks are much more likely to be able to do fast rapid conversions nowadays than they could when I was a kid for things like km to mile or liter to gallon or pound to kilo or Fahrenheit to celsius. 

At this time in U.S. history, what appears to me as an outside/foreigner,  some very divisive and  (almost flamboyantly) near hysterical political lines in the U.S., there would be enough critical mass resistance to learn some key metric measurements in the U.S. They would view it as encroachment on their freedom, a form of communism and whatever excuse would be dug up. 

I can't see how it could be introduced in the school curriculum in elementary school without enough parents screaming away in the U.S.  Because the parents themselves..don't want to learn either.

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

It puts the USA at a disadvantage in world trade.  For example, a Swedish steel company won a steel flooring contract from Caterpillar

Let them steal flooring from Caterpillar, that’ snot the way Americans do business. 

I'd suggest there are a few things not metric in the US.

Temperatures, speed and distance measurements, how we sell fuel for cars.

People here who work on their own cars know most nuts and bolts are metric. 

That said..  this won't change anytime soon.  Just imagine the cost to change the signs for distance on the highways, mile markers, etc....

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

And a metric calendar. Ten days in a week and ten months in a year. So much simpler.

Time for a Metric Calendar

One metric year is the same as one Imperial sidereal year and comprises: 10 metric months (deci-years), each of 10 metric weeks (centi-years), each of 10 metric days (milli-years).

(1 year = 10 deci-years = 100 centi-years = 1,000 milli-years)

One metric day (milli-year) comprises: 10 metric hours (micro-years), each of 10 metric minutes (nano-years), each of 10 metric seconds (pico-years).

(1 milli-year = 10 micro-years = 100 nano-years = 1,000 pico-years)

41 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I'd suggest there are a few things not metric in the US.

Temperatures, speed and distance measurements, how we sell fuel for cars.

People here who work on their own cars know most nuts and bolts are metric. 

That said..  this won't change anytime soon.  Just imagine the cost to change the signs for distance on the highways, mile markers, etc....

Cost will probably be the overt, "neutral" reason for not changing by whichever mass group would claim. 

However nowadays, things are mass-produced more efficiently and cheaply  -- signs  and digital freeway overhead signs,  could easily be  changed.  Application of AI could be thought of to do something to get over human cost of re-installing signs.  OR change the signs in major parks.....you'll get more buy-in from cyclists...well, that's how they do it Europe and Asia in their parks pathway systems.  Seriously. It would be a baby way of easing change somewhere in a city.

It doesn't have to be in 1 sweep to change, all the major systems.  

What some people may not understand, that some folks, like me, who were caught between 2 different systems...I learned imperial, then I had change to metric when I was around 13-14 yrs. old, that one might end up a split brain thinking..for long time.  They would get frustrated.

But I don't get frustrated.  I just live with it. I think it's because I speak 2 languages...so my brain is already split apart imperfectly.  Shrug. So mixing in imperial (ie. cooking)  and metric for other things, it's ok for me.

***But try to imagine, someone has NEVER had learn 2nd language, this metric system...is kinda like another language learning but it's numeric.  :party::hapydance:

3 hours ago, shootingstar said:

At this time in U.S. history, what appears to me as an outside/foreigner,  some very divisive and  (almost flamboyantly) near hysterical political lines in the U.S., there would be enough critical mass resistance to learn some key metric measurements in the U.S. They would view it as encroachment on their freedom, a form of communism and whatever excuse would be dug up. 

I can't see how it could be introduced in the school curriculum in elementary school without enough parents screaming away in the U.S.  Because the parents themselves..don't want to learn either.

We were taught the metric system in school. It just never caught on. I disagree with your last statement.

22 minutes ago, dinneR said:

We were taught the metric system in school. It just never caught on. I disagree with your last statement.

Ok. For a few lesssons across the entire U.S.?   Or just in your city/state?  The video link you gave me, doesn't allow foreigners/non-U.S. readers to view anything. Black screen.

I'm just musing why right now in U.S. history it would never catch on. It would be politicized.

• Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Ok. For a few lesssons across the entire U.S.?   Or just in your city/state?  The video link you gave me, doesn't allow foreigners/non-U.S. readers to view anything. Black screen.

The video is a perfectly logical reason why the U.S. didn't fully adopt the metric system. It all goes back to George Washington.

Some the best talent on this show is Canadian. It seems odd your nation would block it.

46 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I'm just musing why right now in U.S. history it would never catch on. It would be politicized.

try this clip

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cy-QIwQunwH/?hl=en

or this one

59 minutes ago, dinneR said:

We were taught the metric system in school. It just never caught on.

Yeah I was taught the metric system in school too.  I graduated HS in 73.   I used the metric system and imperial system in my engineering classes too. 

I don't see the US changing to the metric system anytime soon.  

• Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

26 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

That communist system would never play in parts of the country.  It's a deep state plot.

A govn't (state or federal) would have to bring in legislated measures to implement.  There is no other way to start this type of change. 

Metric Conversion | The Canadian Encyclopedia

Justin Trudeau's father, former PM Pierre Trudeau was the prime minister at that time, near beginning, etc.

I had no idea that though, metric system was even considered in 1800's  until I read today's entry.

Background

Although the metric system was first legalized in Canada by Prime Minister John A. Macdonald in 1871, the British imperial system of units (based on yards, pounds, gallons, etc.) continued to predominate. In the 1960s, with rapidly advancing technology and expanding worldwide trade, the need for an international measurement system became increasingly apparent. In addition, the size of measurements such as the gallon differed between the United States and Canada, despite both countries using the imperial system. Beginning with a White Paper in 1970, Canada gradually began to convert from an imperial to a metric system of measurements.

1970 White Paper on Metric Conversion

In the years leading up to 1970, a number of Canadian associations representing diverse interests, including consumers, educators and professionals, lobbied the federal government to switch from the imperial to metric measurement system.

They cited many benefits including export trade and international standardization. In addition, lobbyists noted the simplicity of a metric system because of its decimal nature and the absence of a multiplicity of units with conversion factors. The universality of metric symbols (regardless of language) and the convenience of having a single unit for a physical quantity would make communications easier.

In January 1970 the “White Paper on Metric Conversion in Canada” set out Canadian government policy. It stated that a single, coherent measurement system based on metric units should be used for all measurement purposes, including legislation. In line with this policy, the Weights and Measures Act was amended by Parliament in 1971 to recognize the international system of units (SI), the latest evolution of the metric system, for use in Canada. Also in 1971, Parliament passed the Consumer Packaging and Labelling Act, requiring that metric units be shown on labels of most consumer products.

Implementation

To implement metric conversion the government established a preparatory commission in 1971, later called Metric Commission Canada. The commission's role was to ensure a planned and coordinated conversion in all sectors of the Canadian economy and to disseminate information on metric conversion. Beginning in 1973, the commission organized over 100 sector committees, with members from national associations and major organizations representing business, industry, consumers, labour, health, education and government. Each sector committee was responsible for preparing a sector conversion plan and monitoring its implementation. The commission as a whole approved sector conversion plans developed through consensus.

Political and Public Resistance

The government did not escape criticism for imposing mandatory use of metric units to the exclusion of old units. Opponents of metric conversion pointed to the costs at a time of inflation and economic weakness, the danger of being out of step with the United States and the invasion of a foreign language of measurements upon a Canadian heritage bound to imperial measurements. Some challenged metrication through the courts.

Included among the voices of resistance was an editorial in the Toronto Sun opposing metrication. The newspaper also organized a petition with the names of tens of thousands of Canadians opposed to converting to metric.

Much of the debate was partisan, with the Liberal government supporting mandatory conversion and many Conservative MPs opposing it. In 1982, Neil Fraser, a tax auditor in the Department of National Revenue, was fired from the Liberal administration for publicly opposing metric conversion.

Adding fuel to the argument against metrication was the “Gimli Glider” incident: in 1983, Air Canada Flight 143 from Montreal to Edmonton had to make an emergency landing near Gimli, Manitoba, because it ran out of fuel. The shortage was caused by a miscalculation of the metric amount of fuel needed for the flight, giving the plane only half the fuel it needed.

Brian Mulroney's Conservative government reaffirmed the commitment to metric but revoked the required use of metric alone in some cases, including gasoline, diesel fuels and home furnishings. In 1985, some small businesses were exempted from the requirement to install metric scales.

1 hour ago, dinneR said:

Amusing.  Does illustrate a "different" world.  Note: I don't get cable TV, so alot of major American network shows I can't view all shows.  

I would expect unless you get cable or whatever, can't see much of CBC TV either.

Come on folks: Time to shake off the vestiges of British colonization!!  :whistle:

4 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Amusing.  Does illustrate a "different" world.

Come on folks!: Time to shake off the vestiges of British colonization!!

Did you even watch the video LJ posted at the start of the thread? I would say no.

Is she Canadian eh?

image.thumb.jpeg.fff70cc0d8bf7ee4b2703ac96efbfd54.jpeg

31 minutes ago, dinneR said:

Did you even watch the video LJ posted at the start of the thread? I would say no.

Is she Canadian eh?

image.thumb.jpeg.fff70cc0d8bf7ee4b2703ac96efbfd54.jpeg

We honoured her still.  She, then King Charles is just well, figurehead, but still we spent millions over decades, whenever she visited any of our cities/areas when she (and her mother) was alive. (and her designate visitor, Princess Anne, Prince William, etc.)  Those monarchy visits go back far in Canadian local history.  

Since I last worked for the municipality before I retired, near one of our boardrooms, there is a framed archival photo of Queen Mother visiting our City Hall in early 1900's. It is a collectible /museum quality. It isn't hung anywhere in public....partially I suspect to protect it, in case of theft /vandalism.

16 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Amusing.  Does illustrate a "different" world.  Note: I don't get cable TV, so alot of major American network shows I can't view all shows.  

I would expect unless you get cable or whatever, can't see much of CBC TV either.

Come on folks: Time to shake off the vestiges of British colonization!!  :whistle:

So you are unable to click on the link LJ posted? Seriously?

Does you system of government have anything to do with the British system of government? Or is it just a coincidence that you use the same terminology? Your money?

Come on Canadians: time to shake off the vestiges of British colonization!!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, dinneR said:

So you are unable to click on the link LJ posted? Seriously?

Does you system of government have anything to do with the British system of government? Or is it just a coincidence that you use the same terminology? Your money?

Come on Canadians: time to shake off the vestiges of British colonization!!

Take it also as a light-hearted comment, dinneR.  There's no need to get so defensive now.     

Do you think even alot of Americans have even thought of the imperial measuring system as a legacy of the British in the U.S.?  Maybe recent immigrants/migrants may not know.

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

We honoured her still.  She, then King Charles is just well, figurehead, but still we spent millions over decades, whenever she visited any of our cities/areas when she (and her mother) was alive. (and her designate visitor, Princess Anne, Prince William, etc.)  Those monarchy visits go back far in Canadian local history.  

Since I last worked for the municipality before I retired, near one of our boardrooms, there is a framed archival photo of Queen Mother visiting our City Hall in early 1900's. It is a collectible /museum quality.

Honoured? British royalty is on your currency? Why not Tim Horton? He only gets donuts?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Take it also as a light-hearted comment, dinneR.  There's no need to get so defensive now.     

Do you think even alot of Americans have even thought of the imperial measuring system as a legacy of the British in the U.S.?  Maybe recent immigrants/migrants may not know.

Defensive? You really are hilarious. Except that I fear you were born without a sense of humor/humour? Not sure about the American/Imperial spelling?

Watch the video.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, dinneR said:

Defensive? You really are hilarious. Except that I fear you were born without a sense of humor/humour? Not sure about the American/Imperial spelling?

Watch the video.

I said my comment, tongue in cheek dinnerR. Don't forget the emoji.

image.png.fab1116f6dc5ab63770552a82870c166.png