CDL

Parr8hed

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

One week.  Based on my limited knowledge of knowing almost nothing about the subject, that seems like a really short time for a CDL Class A course.

It took me about that long to get my Class B CDL for school buses.  But then I still had to log a bunch of supervised hours driving.  And it was just a few hours a night.  This is supposed to be a pretty intensive course.  Driving and class work.  Not sure how long they typically take.  

• Heart 2

Well good luck to him.. I took the class and the test last year. The key is memorization of the whole walk around more than anything else. I pulled the card for the A parts list. The lady told me she did not like that and made me do the full test. 
Main thing to remember is to always call out the bridge height, and also tell them every few min you are checking your mirrors. 

I think I still have the sheet of what to point at and memorize in my email box if he needs it

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

Well you were right. It was about 3 weeks.  He initially thought just the one week but he was way off.  

He just texted us that he passed his driving test and now has a class A CDL with air brake and trailer endorsement and no manual transmission restriction.  

Actually I think they should lump synchromesh transmissions with automatic and make a separate class for non synchro.

In my training days we got lots of European immigrants with years of driving experience in Europe but no clue how to drive a crash box.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

no manual transmission restriction.  

wait wut? He is able to drive a stick shift? I think he is a 1%er

where in the world did he learn to drive a stick?

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

wait wut? He is able to drive a stick shift? I think he is a 1%er

where in the world did he learn to drive a stick?

a little 1991 toyota pickup.  We didn't have it long, more rust than truck.  I taught him in that truck in the high school parking lot. 

• Heart 3