Freakin' Canada Goose needs to vamoose balcony

shootingstar
Go to solution Solved by jdc2000,

I sure hope that big huge Canada Goose standing on my empty balcony floor will fly away. 'Cause I can't absolutely open the balcony door at all!  I have a screen door...plus glass door. But still. :angry::(:blink:  I don't want a nest nor poop later.

Coincidentally it just happened when I filed my income tax. :blink:

How do I rid of this creature?  I can hear it.

21 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Open the door slightly and yell or try to push a broom handle through the crack and swish it around. 

For now, it flapped away. But you know these monsters...once they discover something.  

Wow, when it flaps its wings on balcony ...it looks well, threatening.  This was a full-on, large adult Canada goose. Huge wing spread.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Ok...geez.  If I ever need to go that route. :blink:  Does that do permanent ear damage to goose?  Does it keep them permanently away?

Persistent aggravation should keep them away. Don't let them get too comfortable. You might consider, while they are away, putting something obnoxious on the patio.

25 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

That has happened on the decks above mine...so far no nesting

Some other occupants below and above me, keep stuff on their balcony. And it's just not a table and 2 chairs. I have nothing.  Imagine this:  balcony is off the bedroom.  I could hear the creature honking --loudly.  

At my former work headquarters office downtown, there was a Canada Goose that annually nested in a big cement planter...EVERY spring.  Nesting at the height of your face. 

I think the organization, just let it be. Not sure why.  It became a bldg. story folktale.  Yes, mama had her babies there.  LIke she is surrounded by human civilization with people walking by, cars...

It's even written up in an article about this Calgary mama goose:

image.png.0fe3e0717cb9aeb64ee13b97d6a9fc5e.png

20 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

How about a plastic statue of  @Kzoo.  :dontknow: would an owl go after a goose? I now they were used to keep bunnies out of a garden.

If I do that, how I secure that thing in high winds? Occasionally we do get winds 70-100 km./hr.  There is nothing on balcony. Nothing. 

20 minutes ago, Further said:

There are a lot fewer of them at the local parks since they opened a hunting season.

Hunting Canada geese in Canada, ie. is illegal.  I looked it up 2 yrs. ago.  That's said, there's probably wording or other legislation to allow culling by govn't authorities. Not by general public.

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Hunting Canada geese in Canada, ie. is illegal.  I looked it up 2 yrs. ago.  That's said, there's probably wording or other legislation to allow culling by govn't authorities. Not by general public.

Although the Canadian geese are protected by the federal government, you'll be just fine if you hunt during the hunting season and within specified hunting parameters. Newcomers want to find answers to questions such as, the status of goose in Canada, using decoys to goose hunt, hunting license / permits, and other Canada hunting frequently asked questions. These questions, and more, are answered below which will provide you 

What is the status of the Canada Goose in Canada?

These large migratory water-fowls have once been on the decline. But in recent decades, the Canada Goose have multiplied. Their abundance has been estimated at seven million. About three decades ago, they weren't so common, but today they exist in large numbers. You can find flocks of geese in both the southern and northern parts of Canada.

How much does it cost to hunt Canada Geese in Canada?

Costs vary depending on how you want to go about your hunt. Over all the best value for your money is going with an outfitter. It may cost you a little more to do so, but your overall success and enjoyment will be money well spent with a reputable outfitter like Tiger Hills Outfitting in Saskatchewan. Their all-inclusive hunts start at $2100 and have multiple testimonials to the quality of their operation. If you choose to do it on your own you will find the time you put in finding meals, accommodation and hunting permission will often not be cheaper than going with an experienced outfitter.

Are Canada Geese protected?

The federal government of Canada protects Geese under the Migratory Birds Convention Act, 1994 (MBCA). This protection and conservation act prevent people from causing harm to the birds or excessively hunting them. This also means that you can only hunt during the stipulated seasons and within specified conditions and hunting grounds.

Can I hunt Canada Geese?

The answer is yes. Canada Geese can be hunted, but in compliance with the Migration Birds Convention Act, 1994 (MBCA). Although the Canadian geese are protected by the federal government if you hunt during the hunting season and within specified hunting parameters, you'll be just fine. 

Do I need a license to hunt Canada Geese?

The necessity of a license and permits cannot be overemphasized. Hunting these water-birds requires that you have a federal migratory game bird hunting permit. It is also required that you have a wildlife habitat conservation stamp of Canada. An affixed electronic image of the wildlife conservation stamp will also do. Make sure your permit is valid. A single permit is acceptable anywhere in Canada. You would also do well to take your permit with you. You want to have your permit with you to show to game officers upon request.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

@sheep_herder  BB shooter won't even help toss the giant that I saw on my balcony. It was like a huge German shepherd.  It could poke my eye...with the neck, beak at normal level (not attack) it would be slightly just under my height. I'm 5' 1".

Not suggesting that, just responding about Canada geese being protected in Canada. They can indeed be hunted in the proper season with the proper license.

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

@sheep_herder  BB shooter won't even help toss the giant that I saw on my balcony. It was like a huge German shepherd.  It could poke my eye...with the neck, beak at normal level (not attack) it would be slightly just under my height. I'm 5' 1".

I once got attacked by three geese.  Literally trapped my wife & I on a small island at a local park.  When we tried to leave via the only bridge off the island,  they held their ground on the bridge & didn’t budge.  When I tried to walk around them, one lunged & bit me on the inner thigh just missing my nuts.  It was the last thing that goose ever did… The second goose came after me and got a size 12 foot in the chest, third goose took off.  

To your point they can be aggressive, I like the broom handle through a cracked screen.  I also thought that those decorative wind things people put in their gardens might distract them.  They don’t make noise, just twirl in the wind.   

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I once got attacked by three geese.  Literally trapped my wife & I on a small island at a local park.  When we tried to leave via the only bridge off the island,  they held their ground on the bridge & didn’t budge.  When I tried to walk around them, one lunged & bit me on the inner thigh just missing my nuts.  It was the last thing that goose ever did… The second goose came after me and got a size 12 foot in the chest, third goose took off.  

To your point they can be aggressive, I like the broom handle through a cracked screen.  I also thought that those decorative wind things people put in their gardens might distract them.  They don’t make noise, just twirl in the wind.   

Island geese are the worst. I paddled out to an island with three girls one night. It was about a mile down the lake. I pulled my canoe up on the shore and we walked a path to the other side of the island to the nice beach. When we tried to return to the canoe a bunch of geese were blocking the path and wouldn’t let us through. I found a large limb and persuaded them to leave us pass.

• Heart 2