My Top Five Sci-FI Movies

I seem to be more a sci-fi series person, so TV works a bit better than a one and done movie.

I liked I Robot. Or the original Blade Runner. And even Starship Troopers.  Things like Passengers or the Martian too.  But hard to beat a series that really develops things like The Expanse or currently Foundation.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

All of the Dune's giving attention to the time in which the movies were made and the capabilities of film making then.

I think the first Dune hot down-rated because it wasn't a shoot'em up type movie like Star Wars was.  It was solid in its own right though and pretty faithful to the book.

• Thank You 1

On 3/20/2024 at 5:32 PM, Razors Edge said:

I seem to be more a sci-fi series person, so TV works a bit better than a one and done movie.

I liked I Robot. Or the original Blade Runner. And even Starship Troopers.  Things like Passengers or the Martian too.  But hard to beat a series that really develops things like The Expanse or currently Foundation.

Love Passengers & The Martian. Read The Expanse, couldn’t get into the series. 

23 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

All of the Dune's giving attention to the time in which the movies were made and the capabilities of film making then.

Agreed, although I like the 2000's miniseries very much. Haven't watched the newest Dune yett, it is on my server though.

For me, I really had to think on this one, and then decided that many of you have damaged brains.  Five best was too hard, so I thought about it a bit and listed my top ten sci-fi movies of all time.

1. Planet of the Apes
  2. The Thing -John Carpenter's version
  3. Aliens
  4. Predator
  5. 2001- A Space Oddity
  6. Terminator
  7. The Matrix
  8. Whatever stupid title they are calling the first Star Wars movie now 
  9. Wrath of Khan
  10. 12 Monkeys

Yeah, I could niggle with this list and reorder up and down (depending on mood) but it seems to solidly capture some of the best conceptual, actiony, monstery, and/or mind-fuckery movies that have been made in the genre.  

Extra consideration for movies that don't solely rely on special effects, or break new ground and don't have endlessly rehashed plots from other movies.  I like thoughtful conceptual stuff that makes you think, along with action that moves things along.  Yeah, I included some almost pure action flicks like Predator and Aliens.  I like that there is no gratuitous love or mush scenes that detract from the final product in those, but the plots, acting, and action is great in them.   I am pretty happy with these choices as representative films that kick ass for various reasons.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Is "Star Wars - A New Hope" too difficult? Jeez, you're a big girl's blouse!

Yes, let's change the names and reorder them all for some vaguely guy'd-up chick's fantasy movie muppet series. :wacko:

Anyway, yes, it is called Star Wars, just that.  Mass stupidity followed, obvious based on what came after.

15 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Yes, let's change the names and reorder them all for some vaguely guy'd-up chick's fantasy movie muppet series. :wacko:

Anyway, yes, it is called Star Wars, just that.  Mass stupidity followed, obvious based on what came after.

I think once Lucas decided to make it a trilogy, they had to sort out the naming system.  Then, knowing the $$$ were there, they decided on the prequels which made the numbering necessary so the less bright folks out there could grasp the timeline and not wonder why there were so many Obi Wans and Anakin Skywalkers and WTF is Darth Vader now????  

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I think once Lucas decided to make it a trilogy, they had to sort out the naming system.  Then, knowing the $$$ were there, they decided on the prequels which made the numbering necessary so the less bright folks out there could grasp the timeline and not wonder why there were so many Obi Wans and Anakin Skywalker's and WTF is Darth Vader now????  

So much stupidity in that whole series after the first one.  It worked for Lucas, though.

At least we have Mark Hamill's Oscar-worthy performances to remember.

28 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The Thing -John Carpenter's version

Out of curiosity, what makes The Thing "sci-fi" and not simply horror?  IMDB groups it as both, but it makes me wonder why? Predator is not grouped under sci-fi. The Stand is not under sci-fi.  

A US research station, Antarctica, early-winter 1982. The base is suddenly buzzed by a helicopter from the nearby Norwegian research station. They are trying to kill a dog that has escaped from their base. After the destruction of the Norwegian chopper the members of the US team fly to the Norwegian base, only to discover them all dead or missing. They do find the remains of a strange creature the Norwegians burned. The Americans take it to their base and deduce that it is an alien life form. After a while it is apparent that the alien can take over and assimilate into other life forms, including humans, and can spread like a virus. This means that anyone at the base could be inhabited by The Thing, and tensions escalate.

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Out of curiosity, what makes The Thing "sci-fi" and not simply horror?

Science research station encounters alien being not of this world, hilarity ensues.  It is as clear as Aliens, I feel.  In other words, very monstery and very science-fictiony.

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Science research station encounters alien being not of this world, hilarity ensues. 

Predator - same plot.  And seemingly more "sci-fi" with its weapons, tracking, and cloaking tech.

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It is as clear as Aliens, I feel.  In other words, very monstery and very science-fictiony.

Aliens was the "future" - relative distant future where space travel was being done with some regularity.  Your movie was "present day", and literally, there is alien life existent in the universe, so not really any "science fiction" component to it (unless it was using some cool science fiction tech to change form!).

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Predator - same plot.  And seemingly more "sci-fi" with its weapons, tracking, and cloaking tech.

Aliens was the "future" - relative distant future where space travel was being done with some regularity.  Your movie was "present day", and literally, there is alien life existent in the universe, so not really any "science fiction" component to it (unless it was using some cool science fiction tech to change form!).

WRONG!  Alien being not of this world buried for hundreds of thousands of years, buncha scientists at a scientific research station on a continent inhabited only by scientists and LGBTQ cyborg penguins have light disagreements with each other whilst galactic evolution plays out in front of them to their detriment.  Scientific method employed in figuring shit out with how to proceed and to solve the problem. 

Where'd this alien come from?  You can say space ship, or overtaken spaceship, but it is a problem not encountered by humans previously.  Like Alien in a way, now that I think of it, but on our planet rather than a space ship.  I think the alien was cute and hug-worthy.