Hey AZ...how did your double go ?

petitepedal

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

This has been a weird year with the rain lingering much later than usual.  More is coming too…

I would not mind some rain enroute (and I have done that at on the Spring Solvang DC at least 3 times), but steady rain in the dark, at 50 degrees.....................

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 2

@az_cyclist Great you still did a decent but different route during time in California with good distance and climbing.

For sure, we've done self-loaded bike touring in several hrs. per trip in pouring rain on 3 different trips:  towards Seattle,  near Montreal,  and southern Ontario, which latter there were transport trucks for 1 hr. Real scary.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I would not mind some rain enroute (and I have done that at on the Spring Solvang DC at least 3 times), but steady rain in the dark, at 50 degrees.....................

OH yeah not judging, I wouldn’t have done twenty in those conditions let alone 200! 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

8 hours ago, az_cyclist said:

8 hours ago, ChrisL said:

OH yeah not judging, I wouldn’t have done twenty in those conditions let alone 200! 

Yep - when you ride for pleasure and not pay, the math is pretty straightforward - will this be enjoyable or not?  Heck, dark and rainy brings in "is this safe (enough) or not?" and at our ages, tempting fate is best kept at a minimum. 

• Heart 1

Congratulations on a wise choice. Two rain events stick in my feeble mind both on the CANDISC in North Dakota. One It started raining later in the morning and eventually became torrential with some small hail and wind. I stopped for a bit to get out of the wind behind a round hay bale. Made it to the end that day, but essential ruined my Brookes saddle. Another year a few of us sagged all day, which was the right thing to do, as by the end of the day water had filled the gutters and was running over the sidewalks. There were many miserable riders that day. Some of the scariest moments for me are early mornings in some traffic with fog that keeps fouling my glasses. I learned to not like riding in the rain.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Great ride! I’m glad you took the sensible approach because a metric century in beautiful places still kicks butt. 

It is a beautiful place to ride, the entire route.  I forgot to mention earlier that it was the first time I had ridden that part of Foxen Cyn Rd in the daylight.  Always before we were leaving at 4:30 or 5:00, and it didnt get light until almost the first sag stop at mile 40. 

This morning I saw pictures on the CTC Facebook page from the first sag.  The road was absolutely wet, and there was a huge puddle. I am guessing I would have gotten wet multiple times, and, the wind was chilly and out of the NNW. 

Of course I am disappointed that I didnt ride the entire route, but, no regrets on the decision I made.  There is always next year (yes, I was a Cubs fan when I lived in Indiana and Illinois). 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2