Funny money

Longjohn

I did some grad school research and taught organic chemistry lab at the U of Toronto.

When I came back to the USA, I sometimes handed someone the wrong denomination of paper money because we Americans strangely make every denomination of bills the same color and I had gotten use to different colors - I mean colours - as is the norm in most countries.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I did some grad school research and taught organic chemistry lab at the U of Toronto.

When I came back to the USA, I sometimes handed someone the wrong denomination of paper money because we Americans strangely make every denomination of bills the same color and I had gotten use to different colors - I mean colours - as is the norm in most countries.

I prefer different colours for different denominations.

6 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

I bring back a little bit from most places I've been. Never know when someone might be interested in foreign currency. Wilbur must have quite a collection.

My father in law was a missionary in Siberia after the fall of the USSR. He brought back some virtually worthless money from there and small amounts of money from all the different countries he had visited in his eighty some years on this earth. When I was cleaning out his home office I found a large briefcase with all his foreign money and a couple thousand dollars worth of proof sets he collected. I gave it to my sister in law. I hope she took it to someone who would pay her a fair price. Proof sets didn’t turn out to be the great investment he thought they would be. I looked up each proof set on eBay to see what they were going for and people were selling them for less than double their face value. 
He had a lot of silver coins and silver certificates.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

I bring back a little bit from most places I've been. Never know when someone might be interested in foreign currency. Wilbur must have quite a collection.

I have been pretty good at getting rid of it.  Often left in a hotel room for the maids.  I have kept a lot of coins over the years, some currencies no longer in existence.  My daughters have them.  I just buy cheesy fridge magnets. :) 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

I thought that was just countries that kowtow to foreign monarchies.

My dads, paternal family were in Boston.  They were loyalists and split when the splitting was good.  The kowtowing runs deep.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Almost everywhere accepts US in Canada.  You won't get bank rate exchange but you don't want to take CDN back across. Those tyrants make you go to a bank to exchange it. 

What's the expected replacement rate for going from the queen to the king?  Is it just as the old bills wear out they are removed and replaced? Are the new bills currently available?

mint-king-coins-20231114.jpg

6471c9ffc14e5.image.jpg?resize=1200,550

26 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What's the expected replacement rate for going from the queen to the king?  Is it just as the old bills wear out they are removed and replaced? Are the new bills currently available?

mint-king-coins-20231114.jpg

6471c9ffc14e5.image.jpg?resize=1200,550

Good questions.  I have no idea.  :) 

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Good questions.  I have no idea.  :) 

You haven't spotted any in the wild yet?  I find our US stuff rolls out sort of slowly, but then, almost overnight, it's almost only that newer stuff that is around.  I don't get much change, but I sometimes look at the quarters and wonder "when the heck did this series start".