Our state is in fire

Dottleshead

From everything I understand there is no end in sight.  Some fires have jumped containment lines and we just don't even have enough people to fight these fires.  I am hearing that our smoke is far reaching.  I heard something about smoke on the east coast from the west coast fires.  

I will tell you this...I am miserable. The air quality is terrible.  I can't train effectively.  This smoke stuff takes over any plans you might have had.  I don't expect the forest fire scenario to be better in the coming years.  I think the fire season will grow in length and intensity.  

From everything I understand there is no end in sight.  Some fires have jumped containment lines and we just don't even have enough people to fight these fires.  I am hearing that our smoke is far reaching.  I heard something about smoke on the east coast from the west coast fires.  

I will tell you this...I am miserable. The air quality is terrible.  I can't train effectively.  This smoke stuff takes over any plans you might have had.  I don't expect the forest fire scenario to be better in the coming years.  I think the fire season will grow in length and intensity.  

I agree DH.  It's only going to get worse.  When we as a people finally wake up -- it'll be too late.

I live in the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia, roughly one hour's drive from the Okanogan fire in Washington State. On Saturday evening I was at the home of some friends. At first we could see faint smoke in the distance far across Okanagan Lake. Less than an hour later, the smoke was so thick we couldn't even see the lake anymore. In Osoyoos, near the Canada-U.S. border, the smoke was so heavy people couldn't even see across the street.

There's good new on the horizon. Environment Canada is calling for rain in the forecast, beginning tomorrow and continuing until at least Wednesday. 

The last time we had a fire season like this was in 2003.

I agree DH.  It's only going to get worse.  When we as a people finally wake up -- it'll be too late.

Asleep or not, nothing we can do really. I am not a pessimistic person, but it is my opinion that we are passed the tipping point.

I do not share your pessimism. There are steps we can take — small steps, perhaps, but steps nonetheless — to slow or stop climate change. And even if we're in a worst-case scenario and nothing can be done to stop climate change, humans are resilient and extremely adaptable. We will find a way to live with the new normal.

Down here in Washington, we are aware that there is some mighty fine timber up North.  I also think your province has not done a good job with it's land policies and deforestation.  True?  The general impression is that BC has poor land management of resources.  I'm not sure though so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I heard on the news last night that it was costing $10 million dollars a day to fight these things in our state alone -- and the whole west is up in flames.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2015/08/18/with-7-million-acres-burned-so-far-this-year-the-u-s-wildfire-situation-is-looking-dire/

this is a pic from the Portland paper but it looks like central/eastern oregon

40 mph winds in Portland yesterday. essentially the firefighters are just trying to stay ahead of the fires to protect towns. Prarie city was evacuated yesterday. about 900 people

about an inch of rain overnight in the Portland metro area. I'm over in Central ore this weekend and there was just a few sprinkles yesterday am. enough to wet the street

that is some strong winds.

-90e6c76f14a9bb03.jpg

this is a pic from the Portland paper but it looks like central/eastern oregon

40 mph winds in Portland yesterday. essentially the firefighters are just trying to stay ahead of the fires to protect towns. Prarie city was evacuated yesterday. about 900 people

about an inch of rain overnight in the Portland metro area. I'm over in Central ore this weekend and there was just a few sprinkles yesterday am. enough to wet the street

that is some strong winds.

-90e6c76f14a9bb03.jpg

...structural fire guys going after wildland fires always looks like the circus. :)

• Heart 1

I know I'm late to the party on this one but this is just astounding.

Climate deniers are insane. On your side we have drought and earth rending wildfires. On my side we have deluges of rainfall daily, our water table is saturated, and our rivers are at the overflow mark for months. This isn't a normal occurrence in nature.

You have my sympathies and hopes the for control and an end.

The beetle kill areas are particularly alarming.  Miles and miles of standing dead trees.  It's just prime real estate for fires.  Unhealthy tight trees in clear cut areas are not much better.  It's a scary scenario if you live in the West. The mountainous terrain makes it even more difficult to fight.  

• Heart 1

Remember short term results don't necessarily prove anything just like winter snow's don't prove climate change is incorrect.  It seems that there is a trend, but that's all we've got at the moment.

last winter's snow in the NE helps to prove that climate change is correct. 

Climate change deniers seem to focus too much on just warming trends, and miss the big picture. 

• Heart 1

If there is a trend to snowy winters, I would agree but singling out a single year means nothing.  There have been several winters with more snow than last year since records have been kept.  The average temperatures are rising, but last years snow was on the heels of near record low snow fall the year before.  Snow is a lousy indicator.  Ice melt at both poles however, does tell a story.

The number and severity of storms in the Pacific is kind of worrying. 

Edited by Wilbur

If there is a trend to snowy winters, I would agree but singling out a single year means nothing.  There have been several winters with more snow than last year since records have been kept.  The average temperatures are rising, but last years snow was on the heels of near record low snow fall the year before.  Snow is a lousy indicator.  Ice melt at both poles however, does tell a story.

the point I was making is that climate change isn't just warming. People that deny global climate change are wrong  

Can we do anything to stop it? That is open for debate. 

The training advice from the pro bikers is to eat like a bird when you can't train, only enough to support life and recovery.

Ok, to be a total contrarian, is climate change really a bad  thing?  Why?  Seems to me that the world has been much hotter in times past, at least that is what the scienticians say.  So the world warms up and forests burn a little, so what?  That is part of nature's plan and is ulitmately good for the forest, and while it sucks on an individual level for the folks who died, lost property, and were otherwise caught up in it, the fires are a natural process.

Ok, to be a total contrarian, is climate change really a bad  thing?  Why?  Seems to me that the world has been much hotter in times past, at least that is what the scienticians say.  So the world warms up and forests burn a little, so what?  That is part of nature's plan and is ulitmately good for the forest, and while it sucks on an individual level for the folks who died, lost property, and were otherwise caught up in it, the fires are a natural process.

NYC will get a nice saltwater enema as the oceans rise. 

Not a contrarian at all.  At the end of the day, we are like fleas on a dog and old mother earth will shake us off in a heart beat.  The earth and environment are dynamic.  Things change slowly enough that we all fail to register there is change being our time here is insignificant in the grand scheme.  Eventually that ball of fire will expire and this will be a chunk of ice.  Enjoy the ride while you are here.

This has got to make everyone feel good, right?  Even though it was from an article over a month ago -- it's still applicable -- the rain forests here are on fire.  Let me repeat that.  The rain forests here are on fire.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/07/13/the-west-is-so-dry-even-a-rainforest-is-on-fire/

Edited by dotman17

This has got to make everyone feel good, right?  Even though it was from an article over a month ago -- it's still applicable -- the rain forests here are on fire.  Let me repeat that.  The rain forests here are on fire.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/07/13/the-west-is-so-dry-even-a-rainforest-is-on-fire/

Ohio will not be impressed until you burn down a river.

• Heart 1

It's not just the fires, although they are significant. The climate change model, if I understand it, also means precipitation comes at different times of the year, which can result in increased flooding and droughts. And there are more weather anomalies under climate change.

One example of what this means is if your city has built a reservoir system to deal with the needs of your community based on the typical rainfall and snowfall patterns and the flow of rivers and creeks, it might not work in the future. You might get more water than your system could handle early in the season, but then run low by late summer. Sure, it's possible to expand reservoirs and make other adjustments, but such work is extremely expensive.

Sure, people can cope and adapt, but it's not an easy process. It's much better to take action now, rather than postponing it until some point in the future.

It's not just the fires, although they are significant. The climate change model, if I understand it, also means precipitation comes at different times of the year, which can result in increased flooding and droughts. And there are more weather anomalies under climate change.

Well said. 

That's why the term "global warming" is no longer used by people that are educated on the topic. Rising temperatures are just part of the problem. 

• 2 weeks later...