Do you know how to type?

Square Wheels

I took typing in high school on a Royal manual typewriter. This was in 1968. I bought a Royal manual typewriter the same year and used it for decades. My cursive writing was so bad that I basically forgot how to do it. I either printed everything or typed it.

In 1969 we got to use an electric typewriter in high school. High tech!

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Poor bastard has neither.  If his reading comprehension is just as bad he'll never know we're giving him crap.

You are getting better at this humour thing, SW!  I have sort of a hybrid (bastardized is another word I 'spose) style which is a blend of touch and Hunt and Peck, but the main downfall is I do way better when looking, so if drivel is coming out I dont; usually see it until later.  But I am getting better with that via mucho practice. :)

Yes I touch type with speed.  It was one of the courses (2 actualy) that I insisted on in high school even though that was for the non college going girls only.  Electronics shop and drafting were also things I had to fight for.

High School was f'd back then.  Everything was predetermined by how you scored on certain tests.

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Yes I touch type with speed.  It was one of the courses (2 actualy) that I insisted on in high school even though that was for the non college going girls only.  Electronics shop and drafting were also things I had to fight for.

High School was f'd back then.  Everything was predetermined by how you scored on certain tests.

You must have gone to my high school.  They acted like they were going to give you a choice of what you wanted to take and when you filled out what courses you wanted they scratched them out and wrote in what you were going to take.  I had to take all college prep courses. I did manage to get a year of typing on a manual Underwood typewriter.  It was my favorite class in high school.  The thing that amazed me was the fact that they taught us to type in one week and used the rest of the year to improve speed and accuracy.  We learned how to type a business letter and stuff like that by default.  That was the stuff we had to transcribe. We were never tested on it. The only class I really wanted to take was Art and they said my schedule was too full I couldn't take it.  I told them it wasn't my schedule it was yours.  I said scratch them all I don't care just give me an art class.  They refused, I had to take biology lab instead.

11 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I took typing in high school on a Royal manual typewriter. This was in 1968. I bought a Royal manual typewriter the same year and used it for decades. My cursive writing was so bad that I basically forgot how to do it. I either printed everything or typed it.

In 1969 we got to use an electric typewriter in high school. High tech!

I took it in 1966.  We had mostly royal manual typewriters but  there were 3 electric   Didn't get to use the electrics often.