I got a phone call from my mother this morning.

jsharr

I was in the bathroom, but my wife answered the phone and I could tell right away it as not good news. My Uncle Charles, my mother's younger brother, passed away last night.  He was in his 70s and not in the best of health for years.  Has been having trouble breathing.  He  took a fall while out in the yard yesterday, was transported to the hospital and died last night.  No cause yet, but we are thinking it was most likely a heart attack.  Do not know if the fall in the yard was the heart attack or if happened later.

My Aunt Janis has asked for my brother, my oldest son and me to be pall bearers.  I was not that close to Uncle Charles so this has not set it yet for me, but the pain in my mother's voice was heart breaking.  She is the last of her immediate family left, other than my brother and I.  Same for my father.  They have both outlived their younger brothers and seen the passing of both of their parents.  I fell worse for my mom, my aunt and my cousins than I do for Uncle Charles.  He is at peace now and out of pain.

• Heart 2