$75 to blow at a LBS

petitepedal

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Where is the Richardson Bike Mart?

They have several locations.  The closest one to me is at the SE corner of Coit and Campbell.  They have grown over the years.  Also have one over near White Rock Lake and one out in Frisco.  I have never been to any place other than the original RBM.

http://bikemart.com/

15 minutes ago, jsharr said:

They have several locations.  The closest one to me is at the SE corner of Coit and Campbell.  They have grown over the years.  Also have one over near White Rock Lake and one out in Frisco.  I have never been to any place other than the original RBM.

http://bikemart.com/

I have been to a similarly-named store in Richardson, TX many years ago.

I am having a difficulty getting in and out of the crank bros on my Madone (not on the Terry)...crank bros want me to take em off and RMA them back for a lookie look...which I could probably do now, but was not going to do in July...anyway..I just figured new shoes (I need wide wide wide shoes) and different pedals would be the best move...otherwise I would get an helmet :wacko: just by age....

Oh the advantages of living in the boondocks.  I like to support my LBS (we only have one) but he has a small shop and doesn't stock shoes and stuff.  He suggests I shop online.  He said he could order stuff in for me but if it doesn't fit he would have to ship it back, he would rather I do it.  My shoes are quite large, the next size up comes with oars.  I wear a size 50 extra wide.  It's hard to get bike shoes extra wide.  The interweb sells everything.

• Heart 1

55 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Buy the pedals online and use the 75 for the shoes.  More bang for the buck.  Or see if they have any take off SPD pedals from when customers upgraded.  I got a pair of SPD 520s this way cheap at Richardson Bike Mart.

That's a deal.  I favor the 520 for general sport riding road or MTB,.  Same shoes and ok to walk uphill on for those like me that suck on hills.

• Heart 2

11 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I know someone who had these and he hated them because of the flipping to get the correct side.

I have one's very similar to what long John posted. They are on my commuter bike.

The flipping around is not a big deal so long as you aren't trying to do it on something technical. I went to sold flat of my fat bike because of that reason. Trying to flip it on a technical climb with snowy feet was sucky.

I would second what LJ and DH said, I have used those pedals as have my wife and have been happy with them.  I tried some of the PD M530's but the lugs of my shoes caught in the cage and couldnt engage the cleat so went with a style without the cage.  I tried to copy & paste an image of the cleat in question but I'm not thinking you are gonna be able to see it... 

Black

2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I know someone who had these and he hated them because of the flipping to get the correct side.

The thing is you can pedal on the flat side until you get a chance to flip the pedal over. A long time ago I had a set of one sided SPDs that didn't have anything on the other side. Those sucked, that's how I broke my hip, looking down at my pedals trying to flip one of them over.

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

The thing is you can pedal on the flat side until you get a chance to flip the pedal over. A long time ago I had a set of one sided SPDs that didn't have anything on the other side. Those sucked, that's how I broke my hip, looking down at my pedals trying to flip one of them over.

Ugh, awful.  That sucks.

I've not noticed them to be too problematic, except when trying to do something difficult as I flip them over.  Now, these only reside on my seek.  Since I mostly ride that for non-technical, flipping them over is not a big deal.  Although, like 95% of the time I run clipless style shoes.  That other 5% of the time is just like heading to a party in heels, or maybe to run a very short errand with sneakers.  Mostly, parties though.

Commuting and adventure, I am always in proper cycling shoes.

They are ok, they are heavy and cheap, but fine for this kind of application. 

1 hour ago, Caretaker said:

I'll be test riding a bike at an LBS tomorrow, they're looking for more than $75.

Well you are getting on a bit and clearly know little about bikes so I hope that you'll turn to me for a bit of expert technical advice before splurging your pension on an unsuitable buy.......no need to thank me it's just who I am.

11 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

Well you are getting on a bit and clearly know little about bikes so I hope that you'll turn to me for a bit of expert technical advice before splurging your pension on an unsuitable buy.......no need to thank me it's just who I am.

http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bikes/touring/world/expedition

I'm thinking of crowd funding it, wanna join the crowd?

20 minutes ago, Caretaker said:

http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bikes/touring/world/expedition

I'm thinking of crowd funding it, wanna join the crowd?

That's a nice bike and since you begged me for a detailed critique I'd say my only caveats would be the octolink chainset they use (prefer the tried and tested square-taper) and the frame-set which basic cro-mo. I assume you wanted the disc braking which is a bit overkill for me as regards tarmac touring.

Did you have a look at the Spa tourer which had very good reviews and comes with a Reynolds 725 DB frame-set, a square-taper chain-set and can be made in flat-bar configuration? Should be a good bit lighter and less than the price quoted when sold without the STI's. Chris Juden, who knows about these things recommended it as a good buy. I think you're right to go for the 26" wheels version and would like to think that now I've thoroughly confused the issue....seriously though the Spa bike is a step up in quality.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p2983/SPA-CYCLES-Steel-Tourer

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

That's a nice bike and since you begged me for a detailed critique I'd say my only caveats would be the octolink chainset they use (prefer the tried and tested square-taper) and the frame-set which basic cro-mo. I assume you wanted the disc braking which is a bit overkill for me as regards tarmac touring.

Did you have a look at the Spa tourer which had very good reviews and comes with a Reynolds 725 DB frame-set, a square-taper chain-set and can be made in flat-bar configuration? Should be a good bit lighter and less than the price quoted when sold without the STI's. Chris Juden, who knows about these things recommended it as a good buy. I think you're right to go for the 26" wheels version and would like to think that now I've thoroughly confused the issue....seriously though the Spa bike is a step up in quality.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p2983/SPA-CYCLES-Steel-Tourer

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. Not going to rush into this.

The test ride will help with sizing if nothing else. I'd prefer to buy from a LBS for after sales service reasons but not ruling out Spa Cycles.