I HATE funerals

petitepedal

They are so sad, especially when it seems like the person's life ended prematurely.  However, I remember reading an essay called "Always Go to the Funeral" (link below) which expressed in words both the discomfort and sometimes the importance of attending.  I know my Mom can still recall the people who showed up to her Mother's wake or funeral decades ago.  You did a good thing, Petite, even if it was hard.

http://thisibelieve.org/essay/8/

• Heart 1

I only met the deceased a few times...I went for my girlfriend...  The dead people do not know or care who shows up...

I have only gone to 1 funeral for someone at work...should have gone to 2 others...but I tend to stay away because everyone will expect you to go to all the funerals...and at my job that could be a lot!! Also, the one I went to was on a Saturday...much easier to swing.

I grew up in a tight knit extended immigrant family.  We represent, period.  If one of us dies, and there have been a lot lately including my mom, brother and uncle there is always a huge turn out. It's really cool to be in a room of strangers yet feel so at home.

I've also been to numerous ones for my employees & coworkers over the years.  I just think its important to represent so generally don't turn them down.

• Heart 1

All funerals are not created equal.  When a person dies too soon it is really sad.  When my father in law died it was not sad. He outlived the age his parents were when they died and his grandparents and some of his siblings. His last year or two he had really slowed down but always seemed happy.  His funeral was a celebration of a life well lived. I'm not a public speaker but two of my sons and my brother in law spoke at dad's funeral and really celebrated what a great man he was.

I'm pretty sure I posted something to this effect but when my MiL died, I was standing with my wife at the viewing and she was crying much of the time - but I saw how happy it made her (and me) to see all these friendly faces coming through the door.  Just walking through the door and saying a few words is enough to help someone through a rough time and I feel like I want to be that person.  

of course I understand when it gets busy... I've been to three or four viewings/funerals in 2017.

Funerals are also a somber reminder that waking up tomorrow morning is no guarantee.  Go and live a full, fulfilling life and if you want to try to make someone happy along the way that's great too.

• Heart 1