Do you like hot stuff?

Longjohn

I saw a similar reaction in 1997 and I'll never forget it!

When my younger brother bought his first house, he decided to do a small garden like me and, at the time, I was ordering seeds to start indoors in April to try out different varieties of peppers, tomatoes, etc.

So my brother said, "I want to grow the hottest pepper you can start for me."

The hottest one I could find available as seeds at the time was "Habanero C."

I phoned a couple seed companies and was told they could only sell it to commercial operations. I called another and heard the message, "press 1 for Commercial and 2 for Home gardening."  So I pressed "1" and placed the small order with no trouble.  There was a warning on the package against physically touching the seeds - if you then touched near your mouth, eyes, etc. you'd be in pain!  So I carefully planted the seeds with tweezers - that I then thoroughly washed - in peat pots in April and delivered thriving plants to my brother in June.

He was pleased with his first garden and the day finally came when he picked his Habenero C peppers. But no one in the family had the nerve to try it.  This was at the time of Comet Hale-Bopp - the one you could see so clearly at dusk and for months - which is how I remember it was 1997 and a bunch of us were at my brother's house one day checking it out and one friend, a huge guy nicknamed "Lubs"  (after the "pounds" abbreviation, "lbs."), said he would eat a Habenero C in honor of the comet.

Lubs took ONE foolishly big bite (like the guy in the video eating the whole chip!) then quickly took a drink - I can't remember of what, but probably beer - and that made it worse!  For several minutes we thought we were going to have to rush him to an emergency room.  He exhibited symptoms just like the guy in the video!  But he finally rode out the sensation after several minutes.

We immediately began plotting who else we were going to get to try the peppers, but my brother's wife made us throw away the rest of them.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

55 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I saw a similar reaction in 1997 and I'll never forget it!

When my younger brother bought his first house, he decided to do a small garden like me and, at the time, I was ordering seeds to start indoors in April to try out different varieties of peppers, tomatoes, etc.

So my brother said, "I want to grow the hottest pepper you can start for me."

The hottest one I could find available as seeds at the time was "Habanero C."

I phoned a couple seed companies and was told they could only sell it to commercial operations. I called another and heard the message, "press 1 for Commercial and 2 for Home gardening."  So I pressed "1" and placed the small order with no trouble.  There was a warning on the package against physically touching the seeds - if you then touched near your mouth, eyes, etc. you'd be in pain!  So I carefully planted the seeds with tweezers - that I then thoroughly washed - in peat pots in April and delivered thriving plants to my brother in June.

He was pleased with his first garden and the day finally came when he picked his Habenero C peppers. But no one in the family had the nerve to try it.  This was at the time of Comet Hale-Bopp - the one you could see so clearly at dusk and for months - which is how I remember it was 1997 and a bunch of us were at my brother's house one day checking it out and one friend, a huge guy nicknamed "Lubs"  (after the "pounds" abbreviation, "lbs."), said he would eat a Habenero C in honor of the comet.

Lubs took ONE foolishly big bite (like the guy in the video eating the whole chip!) then quickly took a drink - I can't remember of what, but probably beer - and that made it worse!  For several minutes we thought we were going to have to rush him to an emergency room.  He exhibited symptoms just like the guy in the video!  But he finally rode out the sensation after several minutes.

We immediately began plotting who else we were going to get to try the peppers, but my brother's wife made us throw away the rest of them.

Sadly I cannot view the video, I'd have enjoyed that. There's an annual chilli eating competition I think in Edinburgh, there have been hospitalizations after it. People rubbing them in their eyes, that's another weird 1.

I grew habaneros one year just for the guys at work that always said you can't grow a pepper that too hot for me. They were very pretty. I pickled some in half pint jars. I called their bluff, nobody would even try them. I kept a jar of them around for a couple years until the color of the peppers started to fade and then I pitched them.

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I grew habaneros one year just for the guys at work that always said you can't grow a pepper that too hot for me. They were very pretty. I pickled some in half pint jars. I called their bluff, nobody would even try them. I kept a jar of them around for a couple years until the color of the peppers started to fade and then I pitched them.

I also had a bumper crop of gorgeous bright orange habs one year. I had no idea how productive they were!  Sadly most went to waste, but I did eat one a day with lunch for a long time. They are tolerable if you avoid the seeds. 

• Awesome 1

As a novice I encountered one of the red peppers used in several hot Chinese dishes, the one's you are supposed to remove before serving.  It was at a party my wife was having for the school staff.  

1.  Bite

2.  Phoot, red pepper remains on floor.

3.  Disapproving look from wife slowly mollified by

4.  The crowd breaking out in laughter as I danced out of the room in search of relief.

• Heart 1

Seems a little contrived but his pain is real.  Indonesians like hot food and my mom would grow these little hot peppers and make her own "sambal" or hot chili paste. She would make it in large batches and jar it and when she did your eyes would burn when you walked in the house.

I remember my dad eating dinner and his reactions after each bite but he kept at it and seemed to like it.  I didn't get that gene, I don't care for spicy food. 

• Heart 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

Seems a little contrived but his pain is real.  Indonesians like hot food and my mom would grow these little hot peppers and make her own "sambal" or hot chili paste. She would make it in large batches and jar it and when she did your eyes would burn when you walked in the house.

I remember my dad eating dinner and his reactions after each bite but he kept at it and seemed to like it.  I didn't get that gene, I don't care for spicy food. 

My daughters both got the spicy food gene from me. That is fun. 

At wotk I always wanted to have a competition between the Nigerian guy, Chinese guy, the Indian guy, and me!

• Heart 2

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

My daughters both got the spicy food gene from me. That is fun. 

At wotk I always wanted to have a competition between the Nigerian guy, Chinese guy, the Indian guy, and me!

I like spicy food but truly, eating should not be a test of courage.  It should only be hot enough to enjoy.

• Heart 2

My granddaughter likes to go to Buffalo Wild Wings. She just likes the place, not the wings. Sunday she ordered grilled chicken strips naked and mac and cheese. I always order wild wings. The waitresses must be trained to make a big deal out of when you order anything spicy. They are not that hot, just right but the waitress always asks "are you sure". They have some hotter than wild wings but if I order them I always have to get a box because it's no fun eating them all at one time and sweating my brains out.

• Heart 1

I don't consider myself any kind of light weight, I can order and enjoy some of the hottest curries in restaurants, however I have never gone in for chilli eating contests or the like, but this was a chastening experience for me, 1 time in a mate's garden and he harvested some garlic, thinking nothing much of it I ate 1 small clove of it raw and oh boy, after it went down it was very hurty, didn't wear off for a fair few hours, pretty much ruined my day. Mouth, throat and upper chest felt dire.

• Heart 1

Occasionally. I like the TMI sauce at Taco Mac & Desert Heat at BWW. I like flavor, not sulfuric acid.

In my yute, there was a place in Rottenfester named Jeremiah's. They had Mild, Medium, Hot, Catatonic & Wise Guys. I could eat the Wise Guys as long as I had a beer in the other hand. Putting my contacts in the next morning was always interesting.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, so what are you supposed to do to alleviate symptoms when you eat something massively hot?

It's the oils in the pepper (mainly concentrated in the seeds) that causes the heat. Drinking water just swishes the oils around in your mouth.  It's best to eat something that will absorb the oils like bread or drink a thick drink like a milkshake.  Basically you just have to get the oil out of your mouth.  But I have no clue how to alleviate the "symptoms" like sweating or gag reflex.

I was at a corporate event one year and we had a game where we got in teams and went around Denver Mile High Stadium and had to do stupid games and such for points.  We were tied for first and one of the games was we all had to eat a jalapeno pepper.  I took one for the team and ate it but damn I had an upset stomach the rest of the day.  so not freaking worth the t shirt we won... 

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, so what are you supposed to do to alleviate symptoms when you eat something massively hot?

I go for milk, if there's some around (there's a reason sour cream is put on Mexican dishes).  Water or beer just makes it worse.

I like a little heat but probably the lower end of the spectrum.  A typical buffalo wing, or a little bit of jalapeno, is about as spicy as I'm interested in.

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

As a novice I encountered one of the red peppers used in several hot Chinese dishes, the one's you are supposed to remove before serving. 

I remember inadvertently eating one of those, in some leftover General Tso's I'd brought to work.  I really thought I was going to vomit right then and there.

This thread brings back a fond memory of my mom.  After her stroke she couldn't communicate effectively and my daughter and my niece were around 12 or 13 and eating Taki's, kinda a Hispanic spicy Cheetos type thing.  Anyway my mom wanted one and my daughter said they're hot Oma but she insisted so my daughter gave her one and she started making faces, making blowing sounds for about 5 seconds.  My daughter was like, see Oma I told you they were hot.  My mom still has this funny face and holds out her hand and says "more!".  

She ate the rest of the bag making that silly face after each Taki! 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2