So are you satisfied with your cooking skills and resultant eating?

Ralphie

2 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Good luck. 

chef-hat.jpg

Just aboot all tv chefs are fat except for Giada (no way she eats her own food beyond a tasting!) and Bobby Flay and Gordon Ramsay.  I want to be the "healthy" chef. :)

That said, their used to be a chain around here in the 80s named D'Lites I think, that went into many old fast food locations and claimed to have healthy food.  They lasted nary a year or two. :(

I'm fine re my cooking skills in healthiness and weight results.  Any problems would be portion control and eating too much of certain unhealthy foods at restaurants/cafes.  Same for him...he just needs to cut out certain cafe foods.  So healthy home cooking is not a problem for us since between the 2 of us, we cook up creative, healthy and tasty stuff.

• Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Any problems would be portion control and eating too much of certain unhealthy foods at restaurants/cafes.

That is the problem - lack of good cooking causes too many restaurant meals which are horrid for you and the budget!

One of the biggest problems for me is balancing what I like with what the Mrs. likes, which is snot easy since she is a supertaster and I am a nontaster, and she prefers meat-based meals a lot more than I do.  I am a big fan of meat as a condiment meals. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Some of the worst food for you is the fattiest crap the French cook.  It is delightful to eat though and as a nation, the French are thin.  Me thinks it is the portions folks!  

They have a small breakfast, and often skip lunch. They also walk more than we do.

When I lived in Vienna, breakfast was tea and a croissant. I always had a lunch, but most places served small lunches (but not the Greek buffet). I did more walking than usual just going to class. I'm not sure how much weight I lost during the semester, but when I came home, I was 50 freaking pounds lighter.

My Mom took one look at me and started serving me dinner on two plates. One was just for the steak.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Angelic Zephyr said:

I don't always eat well, but that is more a reflection on my time and energy as opposed to skills

Absolutely...when I am sick I probably eat the worst...No energy to plan or cook after working...My doc and I discussed this more than once..but :dontknow: unless I have some healthy stuff pre cooked (and I usually have a meal or two)...Picking up a frozen meal, pizza or fast food on my way home from work..beats trying to figure out cooking...  But...the rest of the time...I cook.

I'm pleased with my cooking skills, but I'm just getting back to employing them a lot after hip and shoulder problems.

I'm not perfectly satisfied with how healthy I eat, but my diet is reasonably close to the Mediterranean Diet and the old, reasonable National Institutes of Health recommendations before they decided to make them more complicated than 90% of the population can easily follow.

My job changes have greatly helped me. Travel/eating on the road did me in. I can cook and eat healthy meals when I do but spending 30 hours a week driving all over SoCal allowed for bad eating habits.

My new job has similar work hours as my last job so I should be able to keep it going.