Car shopping is dangerous!

Ralphie

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Who are you, and what have you done with Ralph?

Just looking, but with a 19 year old van, the Mrs. is ready for a new vehicle after it hits 300k miles in 123 miles.  I want to wait until the 4th transmission croaks, probably within a year. :D  They are good for 75k like clockwork. :(

• Awesome 1
  • Envious 1

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The insight is a very nice car.  Is this for you, the wife or both?

I think I am getting her interested in maybe buying one for her now and then letting me have it after 3 years or so and she could get a CRV then.  I am excited because I wanted her to get a Civic instead of a CRV but she showed no interest, but her interest was piqued by the 49 MPG, and the styling got me.  And it might actually be fun to drive too!  That plan is not the greatest though because the 2013 Civic will not be ready for retirement in three years, and we should pay off the next vehicle before I retire, and we will only need and be able to afford one for both of us after I retire.

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I think I am getting her interested in maybe buying one for her now and then letting me have it after 3 years or so and she could get a CRV then.  I am excited because I wanted her to get a Civic instead of a CRV but she showed no interest, but her interest was piqued by the 49 MPG, and the styling got me.  And it might actually be fun to drive too!  That plan is not the greatest though because the 2013 Civic will not be ready for retirement in there years, and we should pay off the next vehicle before I retire, and we will only need and be able to afford one for both of us after I retire.

That's what I thought but on some days we go in different directions.

9 minutes ago, Further said:

That is a nice looking car but the vans utility may be missed

The van's utility will definitely be missed, even if she gets the CRV.  I was anti-van for years until I grew to appreciate the bike holding and apartment moving utility.  Plus, it has always had a kickass V6.   I really thought it was comparable to the 2018 Acura RDX we drove which also had a killer V6 I think.

And yes, I was immediately smitten by the car's looks. :)

That picture doesn't really do justice to its sexy hindquarters. :D  Veloptuous sculpting. :)

• Heart 2

A car is important enough to me to have a backup. I know that a rental is only a phone call away, but it sure is nice to know that if one doesn't start there is a second chance ten feet away.

I always liked the good car, backup car scenario. When my wife was driving she got the good car and I drove a beater, usually an old pickup or van.

Now I feel I have 2 good cars, the Element has 155,000 miles but I've kept it well maintained. The new to me Toyota has 36,000 and is guaranteed for 6 years 72,000 miles. 

And I still have a Ford Ranger.

And some bicycles

I'm pretty sure I'll get to work 

• Awesome 1
  • Envious 1

3 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

The van's utility will definitely be missed, even if she gets the CRV.  I was anti-van for years until I grew to appreciate the bike holding and apartment moving utility.  Plus, it has always had a kickass V6.   I really thought it was comparable to the 2018 Acura RDX we drove which also had a killer V6 I think.

That picture doesn't really do justice to its sexy hindquarters. :D  Veloptuous sculpting. :)

You can haul a lot in a civic.

qEnMVIoAjTfGpTHm-ORt1mwp1ZjJpwqKpew39-P5ST68sY_KX962PWhsCRdCoe68_WPf8y8u7bk_v2zrNbX7abvBlQA7yQS34j2r0PfadQ5nh4YvgylsuSkri0X2hvqBAMgZ-JCzN0NcZ2KklZwmzBHq1XQVPnncInASDgOSz_lB_CbKdc85EdnKpHU5e9LL76iFTQY91X8bjTr-wAR3DhsvVD4LwZT3FHWkzOlZsXV3FDNaTF11GGTBhLlIfAeDnui4xd32D4D70u7KQWffN1CoRKRPpbksiHIplesGYgTv0TBbYnD8AAOMBRAXw1V4oBEMeWjvjuQB6u_e_tU_vmvhr6TEx5kDIp5bX9_j56c1RFfv_O3Va_DScwGAhqD8DHOndSal5r2NYqfR-2Gv_OZc7nR5_pyt3QBETkPyesdyKU4Ga0S3AzDqr-OfrVdbI2k8PA1dn9jyEswHYwovlIOhP6kbnN3IxUzxC-axY3Y_xUL4RIs8lfKcFG4BI8h-8fa9CVDSmcvdJiWAohqR8fIQZmrzNkMULNGKnLFeP3MUYkvyJ3ZVoBOXvJTB9cXRjWwY6rDnmYyv1Ny4aCDBF9RUL31jhYhM9pPTTUw=w1090-h613-no

You don’t even want to think about shopping over here. Just walking I am continually distracted by the cars. Occasional Toyota, Honda with preference for Mazda and Subaru. A Lexus and Subi in the parking garage for his 12 unit building. Fewer Fords than seen before and dealership a block away scaled back. Very few GM other than Opel which they use to own but I did see a Cadillac   cRS and my jaw dropped when started - diesel with a stick!  Few Nissan...but  owned by Renault, but still in minority compared to Pegeuot and Citroen. Some you have never seen before. Looking out the back patio, a neighbor parked a Class B camper in guest parking. It is a Fiat! Across the street is a Pugeuot delivery van.

F9CD8824-8E23-440B-BF6B-F0AD08986B34.jpeg

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

When you retire you have to have two cars. Whatever she wants and a guy car. I overheard my granddaughters explaining to their Georgia cousins about my Pilot. They said it used to be Nana’s car but she bought a van and gave the Pilot to Papa and he turned it into a man car.

• Haha 1

Around here all the retired guys drive new $70,000 pickups or old restored ones. My plan is to keep my beloved Dakota and MX5 until they take my licence away.

Then I saw this on the side of the road. Its a 1974, 40,000 miles, all original but the hood and bed were repainted. I could see myself driving this into my 80s.  :wub:

1514.jpeg

• Heart 1

Walked up to the grocery store and did a little car shopping for you. Two years ago this was a Pegeuot dealership across career from daughter. Now a garage and used cars. Seem over priced but don’t specify year which should be simple to read even in French. That red Mini Countryman next to the Subaru is the old 2010-2016 body style with 57,000 km asking 24,000. That is about the cost new for a non”S” model.

B8C14971-5D1F-46E0-A84D-8E862354E779.jpeg

15DC9838-0C60-4EE3-8D50-FD373BA0247F.jpeg

43197D93-52B8-4B44-A6BF-F542815BCDE4.jpeg

Insight vs CRV: the decision should reflect your needs.

I've got an SUV/crossover after a bunch of sedans and don't think I'll ever go back to sedans.  I've got a Honda Fit but if I needed something a little bigger, it would be a CRV - my sister has her 2nd one.