Jump to content
New Theme Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Randomguy

Do you have a second-favorite football team?

Recommended Posts

I was just thinking about this because I am originally from Cleveland and am definitely a Browns fan, although I have lived in a lot of NFL cities.  I have a few teams that I respect because they always play well, but I mostly like the underdogs who seem to pull it together unexpectedly.

I am liking San Diego the  Chargers this year as my current second-favorite team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if I'd call anyone my "second favorite" but the two other teams that I find myself rooting for a little are the Eagles (if they win it will make my dad, friends and coworkers happy), and yes, those hapless Browns (who are just a little less hapless this year).  What can I say - I like a nice feel-good story and Success For The Browns would certainly qualify.

Of course this goes out the window when they're playing "my" team.  In last year's SB I was able to find some room in my heart to be happy for the Eagles and their fans.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am weird.  I went to Texas A&M, so I love the Figthin' Texas Aggies.  However the rest of my family all attended The University of Texas and I grew up as a Texas Longhorns fan.  I will cheer for both teams unless they are playing each other in which case I have a deep burning desire to see the Texas Aggies beat the Ever livin', Ever Lovin', Compound, Complex Hell out of tu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only cheer for one professional footballing group, even though they suck.  You cannot have two.  It simply is not done.  Except maybe by people who have screwed up morals due to ingesting cashews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do I have a 2nd favorite team? Check out my Ravenskins logo below!

When the Colts left Baltimore I did something heretical among "Balamorons:" I began to root for the Washington Redskins, the local team whose stadium was 33 miles from my home.

That was right in the heart of the Joe Gibbs era, featuring great teams, Super Bowl winners, etc.  So I grew very fond of the Redskins.

When NFL commissioner Tagliabue despicably blocked Baltimore from getting an expansion team so the city and state lured the original Browns from Cleveland to Baltimore and they became the Ravens, I instantly began rooting for the Ravens as my favorite team.

But the Redskins are still my 2nd favorite team - which works out well because a large number of people in my extended family are Redskins fans and both teams' home stadiums are in Maryland - I've attended games in both of them.

When I began playing fantasy football in 2006, the first team I formed and which is still my flagship team was/is named the "Ravenskins." They play in the league I founded and am commissioner of at CBSSports.com called "The Battling Baby Boomers" (next year's league will be posted in the CBS sign-up list on Aug. 8, 2019 for anyone interested). The Ravenskins 12-year, 2006-17 record: 105-63 regular season, 6-4 playoffs, 4 finals, 2 league championships, 4 division champs, 6 playoffs.

But they are having a bad year (injuries!) and in danger of their first season with less than 6 wins.  They were 3-7 and have 2 wins and a draw since then but are favored to lose by 6 points this last-regular-fantasy-season week (basically that's a tossup), 104-98 according to CBS's computer projections.

The team logo is a combination of the Ravens and Redskins logos:

605449114_RavenskinsOrigLogo.535x535.jpg.797516cea424f15e731418cbeb422a7d.jpg1142849746_Ravenskinswk14starters.JPG.01caf82669b86cfcd25f7c00dd491c23.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone who beats the Cardinals is my second favorite.

Anyone who beats the Rams is my favorite.

Hint: I live near St. Louis. STL is getting a XFL team. I can hardly wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Anyone who beats the Cardinals is my second favorite.

Anyone who beats the Rams is my favorite.

Hint: I live near St. Louis. STL is getting a XFL team. I can hardly wait.

You realize we had the Rams first right?  😛

I know they are NFC rivals but I have always liked the 49'rs and do root for them if they are not playing the Rams.  I've become a fringe Charger fan now that they are based out of my city and use my kids former soccer fields as their summer camp location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

 I've become a fringe Charger fan now that they are based out of my city and use my kids former soccer fields as their summer camp location.

Are you paying for their new stadium?  That thing is sweet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Are you paying for their new stadium?  That thing is sweet.

 

Nope, the Rams owner bought the land and then built the stadium.  The Chargers will then be co tenants with the Rams.

I don't plan to watch the Rams play at the coliseum but do want to see the new stadium when it opens in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Are you paying for their new stadium?  That thing is sweet.

 

Oh and the stadium is in Inglewood (Inglehood) but the Chargers built their HQ in Costa Mesa which is where I live.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Oh and the stadium is in Inglewood (Inglehood) but the Chargers built their HQ in Costa Mesa which is where I live.  

Where they play and where they practice aren't really relevant (much).  Players like to live near the practice facility.  The team stays at a hotel the night before game days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

last year's SB I was able to find some room in my heart to be happy for the Eagles and their fans.  

That SB was extremely difficult for me, for as much as I hate the fans of Philadelphia and want them to suffer, I HATE the Patriots a little more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jsharr said:

This having a second favorite team is what is wrong with America.  Embrace one team and hate all the others.  You two teamers make me sick.

You love the Steelers - admit it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, jsharr said:

This having a second favorite team is what is wrong with America.  Embrace one team and hate all the others.  You two teamers make me sick.

How about embracing all teams but one?  I'm also a huge baseball fan and really only hate the Rangers.  I do hate Dodger fans but not the organization. Everything Rangers is just freaking wrong.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

How about embracing all teams but one?  I'm also a huge baseball fan and really only hate the Rangers.  I do hate Dodger fans but not the organization. Everything Rangers is just freaking wrong.

 

The Rangers are lovable.  You should love them.  But I grew up in the old NFL days when you played for one team.  No free agency and highest bidder and all that crap.  It was do or die with Roger Staubach and Tony Dorsett and Drew Pearson.  Screw everybody else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

It was do or die with Roger Staubach and Tony Dorsett and Drew Pearson.

Those were good guys to root for.  Their only downfall was, they had trouble beating the Steelers.  Other than that and they could have been America's team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Those were good guys to root for.  Their only downfall was, they had trouble beating the Steelers.  Other than that and they could have been America's team. 

Kick, miss, offsides.  Rekick, blocked, going to over time, offsides.  Rekick, so far offside the kick goes behind the cheating Stealer, penalty declined, kick good, game over.  

I will relish that minute or so of greatness and replay the looks on Roth, Roehtli,  Ben's and Tomlin's faces for quite a while!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Kick, miss, offsides.  Rekick, blocked, going to over time, offsides.  Rekick, so far offside the kick goes behind the cheating Stealer, penalty declined, kick good, game over.  

I will relish that minute or so of greatness and replay the looks on Roth, Roehtli,  Ben's and Tomlin's faces for quite a while!  

They call this a deflection...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kzoo said:

They call this a deflection...

No, the Stealers cheater blocked it.  I think a deflection is when a cheating Stealer is so far offsides on a pass play that he knocks the pass out of the air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jsharr said:

No, the Stealers cheater blocked it.  I think a deflection is when a cheating Stealer is so far offsides on a pass play that he knocks the pass out of the air.

No this is a deflection.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×