Movie Recommendations

BuffJim

My parents are partial shut-ins and have lots of time to watch Movies through Amazon Prime/ Firestick. 

What recommendations do you have? Nothing too sexual. No 50 shades of Grey or even Debbie Does Dallas. 

I recommended The Rookie Dennis Quaid, Hidden Figures, and The Descendants with George Clooney. 

59 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

The Descendants with George Clooney.  

Interesting selection.

I might try to get them into a TV series like Downton Abbey or Victoria or any number of other Masterpiece or BBC shows.  Many more hours of viewing that way.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Not Recommended - Black Panther. Being a Marvel comic action movie WHAM - POW! Probably not their style. I rented it as now in Redbox and honestly cannot see what the hype is.We also are not action hero movie fans but it just flat out failed to meet the most basic expectation.  Sure it is an action hero story but the storyline developed soooooo slloowwwly that throughout the move wife and I were both going "is it over yet?" Did watch to the end, but several times tempted to just stop it. 

• Heart 1

Do they have HBO on Amazon? Buncha good shows on HBO. We're currently watching Game of Thrones for a second time. Muscogee Airmen, Dead Like Me, lots.

We've watched Grimm 3 or 4 times now. I don't know if Amazon has this, but I liked Piece of Cake enough that I bought it.

I also have no idea which Masterpiece Theaters they have, but there are a lot of good ones, Upstairs, Downstairs, Testament of Youth, Brideshead Revisited, etc.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, BuffJim said:

My parents are partial shut-ins and have lots of time to watch Movies through Amazon Prime/ Firestick. 

What recommendations do you have? Nothing too sexual. No 50 shades of Grey or even Debbie Does Dallas. 

I recommended The Rookie Dennis Quaid, Hidden Figures, and The Descendants with George Clooney. 

I loved Hidden Figures....and saw um, several times.  :)  It had several intertwining themes. Crazy Rich Asians is quite fluffy, over the top on its lavishness...more of a fun romp.  Loving on the interracial marriage court case that became a U.S. Supreme court case that challenged anti- interracial marriages/love laws in certain states.

One day I'll like to see RBG, documentary on the U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg's life.    Which may not interest a parent of yours. 

I know I have a narrow view of movies....we haven't subscribed to Netflix yet.  I'm not as well hooked in popular culture as others.

• Heart 1

I just started  reading the Expanse books again. I've lost track of how many times I've done that.

The tv series isn't as good, but it's still excellent.

There is a potential problem. My tv speakers are crap, worse than most tv speakers. They did a bangup job at recording the sound, and on my stereo the sound is terrific. But the dialogue is hard to make out at times on my tv speakers. Even worse, one of the crucial characters is soft spoken, and half the time I can't make out a thing she says.

My preamp has been in the shop for seven months. If it ever gets done, we're going to watch it again. I should have just said screw it, and gotten a new one.

In any case, it's damn good, even if they don't like scifi, they might like this. Sure, it's scifi, but it's mostly a study of relationships. By that I mean the odd ways people relate to each other, to institutions, and their baser impulses.

It's available if they have Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Dulcinea/dp/B018BZ3SCM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1548623001&sr=8-3&keywords=the+expanse+video

• Heart 1

On 1/26/2019 at 2:50 PM, Tizeye said:

I rented it as now in Redbox and honestly cannot see what the hype is.

Thank you!  Everybody was falling all over themselves saying how good it was, I didn't even get halfway through and I really wanted to like it.  Not so good a movie.

Anyway, I don't have Prime, so I can't recommend.  But wth, tell 'em to start a movie, any movie, and if they don't like it, start another one.

13 hours ago, MickinMD said:

The Notebook

First Man

Darkest Hour

The Shape of Water

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri

They loved Darkest Hour.

I told them not to watch Shape of Water. It's not for them.

I saw the 3 billboards movie and thought it was very good. They might like it.