It's fun to stay at the YMCA...

Randomguy

...but it isn't fun to get billed to use the gym and not be told about it.  

So I signed up at the YMCA nearest me a month and some change before the pandemic, but then that got shut down because of rowdy viral fun.  Because of the shutdown, there was no billing for gym usage.  Well, they did open gyms up in NYC about a month ago, but I didn't add my name to the list of those rushing to get back and everything was supposed to stay on hold.  I checked my checking statement and they billed me, those bastards!

Anyway, I called up and told them they can kiss my butt and I won't be standing for that (in a very nice way), and they assured me a refund wouldn't be a problem at all, I just have to come in and pick up a form fill out and such.  I went in tonight and thought I would check it out and see how it looks and see if the steps they are taking could possibly keep it on the 'safe risk' side of things.

It seemed relatively safe, as very few people were there, and everyone was wearing a mask.  Seeing that I signed up initially to use the pool (90% of why I joined), I asked about that because they said the lap pool was open, and it seemed to me that this would be pretty damn safe overall.  

They said that you couldn't just show up and swim, you had to reserve via an app.  I downloaded that and saw that from a practical standpoint, you couldn't use the pool at all.  You can only reserve for 48 hours in advance, and the entire 48 hours was booked with no openings.  You would have to find out the exact moment when the window opens up and you can make a reservation and hope you can get one before it fills up, which it apparently does in 5 minutes.  Yay.

The hours are crap, too.  They used to be open from 5:30am until 11:00pm, now it is 6:30-8:30, and they close down everyday for a two hour deep cleaning at 1:00pm, which I translate into 'siesta', and the weekend hours are 8:30-3:30.  Oh yeah, they are closed on Friday for deep cleaning the whole day, too.  

I am struggling to find a way this is workable, plus I think everything is going to close down again anyway.  Bleh.

• Hugs 1

They built a multimillion dollar YMCA across the street from the gym I used to go to. My gym owner closed her doors the day the Y opened. She said she couldn’t compete with that. I waited a month or so for all the excitement to calm down and then I visited. It was like you said, pool wasn’t available at all. Anything you chose to do was an additional charge. Their equipment was brand new off brand crap. I didn’t join, bought a home gym instead. Seven years later they built the gym I’ve been going to for 15 years

10 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I have the benefit of my trainer and the very nice facility he works at..I believe he mostly does sessions with 1 or 2 people at a time..I won't  go back to a gym..who knows if ever.

I am glad you are safe.  

Working out in a mask seems miserable.  We may be investing in some weight sets, when we get our new home.  I can't see myself going back to the gym with everyone heavy breathing in there.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

so glad I just bike :)

It does simplify things!

I'm glad I like to just be outside doing things - riding, walking, hiking, camping, swimming, tennis, etc..  We have a nice YMCA about 300 yards away that we were members of for years. I dropped my membership maybe a decade ago, but my wife kept it up until about a year ago when all her favorite class instructors eventually moved on.  She also has a Golds membership - also for the classes - that has been "paused" since February.  The Y, though, was overpriced for us. At almost $100/month for a couple, it was basically subsidizing the folks with kids and their daycare mission.  That always rubbed me the wrong way.

Our Y's pool was pretty regularly available and they also had saunas, so, unless there was a swim meet going on, you could swim laps whenever.

I may be shutting off our PF memberships. Just not comfortable enough with the after 5 crowd to deal with that right now. Too much Covid activity and people who aren't taking it seriously around here. 

I have a lot of friends who are members of the Y. Doesn't work for me because the classes I want are all done before I get off work! Seems like most of my friends teach classes or are on the board so they get free or reduced memberships. 

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Exactly, no fees, no facilities. Just walk oot my door and ride.

Keep in mind, just one of my bikes (like one of yours) offsets MANY years of membership fees! But, still, worth it to me and we have a small community gym and an outdoor pool open in the summer.

Given my druthers :D I'm going for a ride!  Outside. Probably by myself. And away from other sweaty people.

• Heart 1