HAHA! The Foreman on site offered my husband a job

Dirtyhip

Couple years back I ran out of time and had to call a finish carpenter to complete the railing into the Family room.  The room has a ton of custom woodwork, beams, windows, mantle....  The guy showed up, looked at the room, and said, "wow, why didn't you hire that guy to do this railing?".  I now have a standing job offer if needed.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Ond, how timely, another one.  It's not really that cold here, but the furnace can't keep up.  Since they replaced it 1-1/2 years ago, it's never done as well as the previous furnace when it get really cold.

The replacement: I was wrestling with the manufacturer about the warranty claim (boiler leaks) when the blower started crapping out.  After lots of band aids, I finally had to replace the blower, a month before the new installation.  And I had to supply the new furnace.  The installer showed up, I explained the whole issue, the blower diagnostics and replacement, he asked me exactly why he was there now?  (he knows I work on this stuff)

So I just went to the basement to check, there was a flashing icon on the panel.  Turns out they activated the program for the outside temperature sensor - but never attached the wires from the sensor or programmed the settings.

38 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Hm - he could serve dual duty and therefore get dual paychecks as construction worker and site medical ociffer!

LOL, he makes good pay when they call him in for emergency work in the ICU unit.  If they get short staffed, they try and coax him in.  Hello, double time. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

10 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Men should just stick to farming, fixing trucks and building shit.  They shouldn't be nurses.  

When being released from the ER after a motorcycle wreck, my son showed up to take me home in his Jeep Wrangler.

The male nurse who rolled me out to the parking lot looked at the Jeep and looked at me, asked if I was going to need help...

After my pathetic attempt to stand on my own, he picked me up and lowered me into the passenger seat

He wasn't hot, but I sure appreciated him that day  :foryou:

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I'm lucky if I buy a 2x4 and get one with the right dimensions.

Depends on what era in time you need it for.  If it's modern construction, then you'd be buying a 1.5 x 3.5.  If you're working on a 100 year old home, they targeted 2 x 4 but those were more suggestions than hard rules.  Hence the invention of lathe and plaster and bead boards around doors and windows to level a wall.

So, it may not be you.

Interesting developments out there. My husband is going to work on our home alongside the Foreman.  We are not hoping to get paid.  Instead we want extras and hope to help keep the costs down.  

The Foreman likes my husband and is very impressed.  My man put in some fencing yesterday.  It came out very pro.  I am so lucky.  I married well.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

It seems those that can/will do the work are a rare breed anymore. That’s cool the foreman notices and appreciates it. 
I became a folk hero of sorts when WoW was at the large corporation. She would share our latest home improvement project and they would ask who we hired. They couldn’t believe I did it myself because their hubbies would hire out. 
I could have built 5 patios after people saw mine. Told them I would supervise and even help, but they would have to help with the lifting and moving. My body just can’t do it all that many times anymore! No takers. 

• Heart 2