I'm Not Sure What A "Point" Really Is...

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Kirby,

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

What do you want it to mean Mr. Dottles.  Have a seat on the couch over there and tell us.

Well, Doc, I have neuroses and I live an existential vacuum — and all I want to do is fuck. I can’t help the creeping malaise that has become my life. So if those points went into scoring me a vat of beanless chili, then it’s possible I might feel better about myself. 

That’s all I got. 

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

If you can’t stand your own ground, how can you find your way out of this place? Deaf, dumb and blind, you just keep on pretending. That everyone’s expendable, and no one has a real friend.

I’m glad somebody picked up on that reference. I always loved that line. 

4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Nobody knows. 

@Square Wheels probably knows...  he tried to tell us.   I'll guess, no one read the explanation.  I gave up, the font was too small for my old eyes.

@maddmaxx said it best.....

I don't care what the points say.  Some noobs will be noobs forever.

The 'Ranks' were renamed thanks to @Kirby.

We moved on.

I only need 23,083 points to be promoted to my next rank.   That probably will take me a loooong time. 

Mathematically, there's a major argument that a "point" doesn't exist in the real world.

2500 years ago, when the Greek philosophers who supported the theory of the existence of atoms were arguing that "things are one" vs the arguments of the anti-atomists that "things are many," the great philosopher Zeno came up with a series of paradoxes to show "things are not many."

One said, "If things are many, then I can't walk from a room to it's doorway because, before I can get to the door, I have to walk halfway first.  After I walk halfway, I have to walk halfway of what's left.  Then halfway of what's then left.  Etc. Etc. Etc. so I can never get to the door because there is an endless number of halfways!"

Today's version would be, "If a line is made up of an infinite number of points as mathematics claims, then I can't walk to a doorway because a line segment from where I am to the door contains an infinite number of points and I can't cross over an infinite number of things in a finite amount of time.

So, since I can walk to the door, the line segment I walk across can NOT possibly have an infinite number of points!  There must be a finite, minimum length to each of the smallest pieces that make up the line!  This smallest piece is called a "quantum," and a line is made up of a non-infinite number of quanta.

The point being: there is no point.