In Other Smoking News

Razors Edge

We have neighbors that are smokers.  Just about every hour - rain, snow, sleet, or heat - they are out smoking.  Starting at like 5:30am.  It's a tragic addiction.  Not quite in the alcohol or harder drugs category, but still rough to see folks that addicted to something. 

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I mentioned this before, but at a stop light once, the driver was smoking and I had to roll up my windows. I noticed he had an oxygen tube connected to his nose. About my age. Sad addiction, but I smoked once. 

More than once I have had a person come into the ER with facial burns caused by smoking with oxygen on. 

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We have neighbors that are smokers.  Just about every hour - rain, snow, sleet, or heat - they are out smoking.  Starting at like 5:30am.  It's a tragic addiction.  Not quite in the alcohol or harder drugs category, but still rough to see folks that addicted to something. 

Hard to tell how many deaths can be directly attributed to smoking.  It is a horrible habit.  

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Back when the ATL had the smoking areas in the concourses, I'd walk by the smoke filled, glass enclosed areas and NONE of them looked like they were enjoying it.

That's one of the worst parts.  It seems like, during the getting hooked phase that seems to happen in teens/early 20s, it is social and seemingly enjoyable, but damn if that doesn't disappear eventually.  Most look like they are just trying to pull in as much nicotine as they can and it looks like work or torture.

27 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

says the number 7 poster on this forum.....

We are all addicted to something.

• Awesome 2
  • Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I have cut out carbs to a large degree by eliminating between meal snacks and trying to eat more lean protein and healthy veggies.  Blood glucose is drastically improved. 

Carbs, like smoking, will KILL YOU!!!!

And, unless you're stalking me, my meteoric rise to the top here won't!!!!!

And likewise, I never realized how judge the unjudgy folks here were about judginess!  :dontknow:

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Carbs, like smoking, will KILL YOU!!!!

And, unless you're stalking me, my meteoric rise to the top here won't!!!!!

And likewise, I never realized how judge the unjudgy folks here were about judginess!  :dontknow:

No judgement from me brother.  Hate the sin, love the sinner.

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’d think it best to defer to the pharmacists’ recommendation.

Sadly, all these years later, we know the playbook that was used, most of the consequences, and are seeing it play out across other just as awful industries as well. 

2 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

I mentioned this before, but at a stop light once, the driver was smoking and I had to roll up my windows. I noticed he had an oxygen tube connected to his nose. About my age. Sad addiction, but I smoked once. 

You should talk, it seems you are always smoking something on your Webber.

That guy must not have had his oxygen set to a very high level. While my wife was on hospice our hospice nurse came in one day all shook up. One of his patients that was on oxygen decided to smoke a cigarette while on oxygen. Burned his lungs and he died a very painful death.

• Sad 3

I have my team check all of our doors regularly as the best way to ensure big brother doesn’t know you are outside smoking 37 times a day is to disable the locks on the access controlled perimeter doors.  They do all sorts of creative things to Jerry rig the doors so they can sneak in & out without being tracked.

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have my team check all of our doors regularly as the best way to ensure big brother doesn’t know you are outside smoking 37 times a day is to disable the locks on the access controlled perimeter doors.  They do all sorts of creative things to Jerry rig the doors so they can sneak in & out without being tracked.

I recommend a security camera pointing at the door. Even a fake camera might help.

16 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I recommend a security camera pointing at the door. Even a fake camera might help.

All of our perimeter doors have cameras on them.  Access history is easier to pull as they can just ask (and they do), how many times has Jerry badged in today…

Video review is more time consuming as I have to look for Jerry with every entry/exit out every possible door he could go in/out of.

32 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Actually am getting your point….

I really don’t have time to conduct these video reviews to see who is messing with doors.  If I had a dedicated SOC yeah for sure but I don’t have the bandwidth.   But we do have 1-2 rigged doors a month between my 15 locations so it’s not a huge problem.

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Actually am getting your point….

I really don’t have time to conduct these video reviews to see who is messing with doors.  If I had a dedicated SOC yeah for sure but I don’t have the bandwidth.   But we do have 1-2 rigged doors a month between my 15 locations so it’s not a huge problem.

Where I worked we only had one door we had to swipe in to get it unlocked. If you forgot your swiper you just used any of the other doors. It made a whole lot of sense not.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Where I worked we only had one door we had to swipe in to get it unlocked. If you forgot your swiper you just used any of the other doors. It made a whole lot of sense not.

All of our perimeter doors are access controlled.  I put my lobbies on “office hours” so visitors & deliveries aren’t locked out but all work areas off the lobby including elevators are on access control. So if you forget your badge you are essentially locked out.  

So you call your buddy to let you in or walk in behind another employee…

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Shoot, I smoked in my house, car, just as almost all my family, friends, and neighbors.  I smoked 30 cigarettes/day so every hour wouldn't have been enough!  No one one's allowed to smoke in my house or car.

Funny, we did have a smokers lounge for teachers in schools up until the late 90's, but I never used it, never smoked during school, never smoked when I was coaching.  Like former mile record holder and Olympic silver medalist Michel Jazy, I also smoked when I wasn't running an avg. 6 miles/day.

My parents were the youngest and next to youngest of large families and I had cousins that were almost my parents' ages.  So I got to see 13 aunts and uncles and their spouses age well before me.  I began to notice the non-smokers were living longer. Most lived into their 80's and 90's. The smokers died in their 60's and 70's except for one who struggled for years to reach 82.

As this was unfolding, I decided to quit smoking a couple months before my 45th birthday.  With six months after that my mother, my siblings and their spouses also quit.

23 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Shoot, I smoked in my house, car, just as almost all my family, friends, and neighbors.  I smoked 30 cigarettes/day so every hour wouldn't have been enough!  No one one's allowed to smoke in my house or car.

The new season of Russian Doll, she is transported back in time to 1982 whenever she boards the subway train.  It's funny because she is trying to give up smoking but will put an unlit one in her mouth.  When she is looking for a seat, she sees a guy smoking and is like, "Ballsy move. Good for you.", but then as she looks around, there are many folks smoking on the subway.  It's funny.  

I remember a lot of smokers getting ready to "boycott" over restaurant smoking seating restrictions and then eventual bans.  That didn't happen, and folks actually started kicking the habit as smoking lost its "cool", became less convenient, became more expensive, and maybe some paid attention to the health aspects.

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I remember a lot of smokers getting ready to "boycott" over restaurant smoking seating restrictions and then eventual bans.  

Yep, I remember that vividly. People were pissed at our county government in advance of that law. But in the end I think it resulted in more people going to bars and restaurants who would have skipped previously due to the smoke.

19 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Yep, I remember that vividly. People were pissed at our county government in advance of that law. But in the end I think it resulted in more people going to bars and restaurants who would have skipped previously due to the smoke.

Does anyone miss coming home from a bar (or even a restaurant) smelling like cigarette smoke?  Not me.  My mom was a smoker - indoors as well - and I am pretty "okay" with the smell of cigarettes, but they are offensive smelling. Period.  Good riddance to bad smells.