Here It Comes

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

Executive Order 022, which, in part, reads:

"B.    To the fullest extent feasible, beginning January 1, 2024, all new construction submitted for permitting by Affected Entities shall avoid infrastructure, building systems or equipment that can be used for the combustion of fossil fuels, excluding the necessary use for backup emergency generation and process loads, provided that Affected Entities shall avoid the use of backup emergency diesel generators where practicable. This shall not affect the continued operation and maintenance of State or Affected Entity owned or operated electric generating facilities.'

So, if you don' t use the combustion of fossil fuels for infrastructure, building systems, or equipment - what energy source is left? 

Spoiler

Electricity! 

How does one determine where the avoiding the use of backup emergency diesel generators is 'practicable'?

Curious, that the order does not affect 'the continued operation and maintenance of State... owned or operated electric generating facilities.'

What unintended consequences of this can you imagine?

17 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I think practible is aboot as weaselly a word as possible, so you can assign it any meaning you want. No problem!

Trust me.. if you break an airplane, the feds lawyers will harp very strongly on the differences of "possible" and "practicable".  Their definition is the law.  :) 

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Trust me.. if you break an airplane, the feds lawyers will harp very strongly on the differences of "possible" and "practicable".  Their definition is the law.  :) 

Don't think your industry will be 'exempt'.   I guess GE will have to take the nuclear powered jet engine they started to develop out of storage soon. 

From this link

The nuclear-powered jet engine: In 1954, GE even put a nuclear-powered jet engine on a test stand in Arco, Idaho. It ran for more than 100 trouble-free hours before the project was shelved. The idea was that the the engine would use heat produced by a nuclear reactor aboard the plane to generate thrust. A plane with these engines could theoretically stay in the air for days and weeks. Although the U.S. Air Force did modify a B-36 Peacemaker bomber to carry a nuclear reactor, it never used the engines.

This article links to another   Flying on Nuclear, The American Effort to Built a Nuclear Powered Bomber

And then there is this... 

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20160713-could-this-be-the-first-nuclear-powered-airliner

The Flash falcon would be able to take off and land like a helicopter thanks to its moveable engines (Credit: Oscar Vinals)

4 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

What unintended consequences of this can you imagine?

:scratchhead:  Let see...    If 61% of the electric power we use is based on fossil fuel,  does that mean we can't use electricity for future construction?   

46 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I went back to burning wood.

There you have it... no fossil fuels used only renewable fuel.  

How to Make Electricity by Burning Wood

image.png.42a6ffeb2f902b53b46196a37328fd8a.png

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Want to learn how to make a garage work shop heater out of soda cans?   :lol:

Oh snap.  It doesn't work at night or on cloudy days.

I have made a workshop heater out of 55 gallon steel drums. I have also used a 250 gallon fuel oil tank to make a shop heater. The oil tank was overkill. I needed a bigger shop or else shed my clothes and turn on the fan

• Heart 1